The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » CVCA Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CVCA Question
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2013 09:48 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody tell me a bit about these or the history of the club? I have these as well as some other older Southern California predator stuff at the house. Thanks.  -

-

[ November 22, 2013, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: TundraWookie ]

Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2013 12:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The CVCA goes back further than I can say? At least the mid fifties?

The Pasadena Chapter was #1. I belonged to chapter #11 . and the Covina chapter.

The organization changed the name to The California State Varmint Callers Association, (CSVCA) because somebody snagged the copyright , must have been in the mid fifties?

The organization disbanded around 2001 due almost singlehandedly to the efforts of "Clever Gary" Clevenger of what was then known as the Orange County Chapter. He was upset that he couldn't compete with San Gabriel on any level. It's hard to believe the traditions ended because of personal jealousy.

The treasury was split between National Ch., Orange County and San Gabriel Chapter with the stipulation that San Gabriel would retain the name CSVCA and drop San Gabriel. I personally incorporated all state and chapter bylaws into a single document. Actually, the club is still known as San Gabriel by some.

So, the net result is no statewide organization, just independent clubs, including Hi Desert and Riverside Rebels who had dropped out earlier. There were 16 clubs, at one time.

That sleeve patch is the state patch and the one one the back is Pasadena. Every club had a distinctive patch. The Lee jacket became discontinued probably 20 years ago and the clubs were left to their own device.

In addition to the patches, there were specific pins and trophies awarded based on how many animals killed. Also, there was championship hunts every year and trophies were awarded for winning.

Each club held 8 hunts a year but one had to run concurrently with the state hunt. Quite some time back, they changed to three state hunts per year, a weekend hunt, a daylight hunt and a coyote only hunt.

Points were awarded for lion, wolf, coyote, bobcat, badger and gray fox.

It's kind of sad, what happened, but it's gone.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2013 01:11 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard, I figured you might know a bit more about this jacket and its history. I appreciate the information.
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, new member here. I belonged to the Pasadena chapter of the CVCA from about 1964 until I moved to Alaska in September of 1974. I had a jacket just like that one.

I'm just curious to know who that jacket belongs or belonged to. I was contacted by a couple of old members a few years back but they have both passed since. I've been curious about how the demise of the club occurred. I know the Pasadena chapter left its meeting place down in the ravine in Pasadena and the meetings were held wherever we could find a place to hold them. Membership had fallen by the time I left but we still held club hunts and many of us still socialized.

As far as I know Jim Dougherty started the club but I couldn't tell you the date. It was still the CVCA when I left.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I had all of my pins except cougar and wolf. I even had a raccoon pin but it was discontinued before I could get a second one.

The club had some great traditions and it was a lot of fun attending the meetings and hunts. I was sorry to hear it disbanded.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 02:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, Moe. Glad to have you on board.

You know, my club, back in about 1970 or so, we had a discussion with the Pasadena chapter about holding a challenge hunt. It didn't happen because Pasadena insisted on the location being Little Lake, which we recognized that would give them (perhaps) an unfair advantage? They said we were just chicken, something like that? But, we were sure that they knew the area very well and we didn't. It was a deal breaker, unfortunately.

As far as the jacket, what I would be curious about is the animal pins on the front pocket. That would say something about how motivated the gentleman was?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 02:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm? Interesting. Yes, there was a big flap with the houndsmen about raccoons so, since they were perhaps the least called animal, it was dropped way before I joined, which was in 1968.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: what really hurt the clubs was the fur boom. Nobody wanted to focus on club hunts when they could be making some money. LB

edit: PS seems like I knew somebody named Moe, way back?

[ December 03, 2013, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 03:54 PM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Moe. Good seeing ya here.
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 05:07 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I used to be on the California Varmint Callers site and you, Danny and I had a few discussions. Plus Danny posted some info and pictures of me on his autobiography, without asking, onthe predatorprofessionals site where I have never been a member.

Thanks, Ed. Glad to be here. I like the open, candid talk here.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 05:39 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I am always glad to hear the early history of the clubs and hunters that Led the way.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 06:44 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the good ol' days I mostly hunted with my usual partners, Jack Joyner and Don Scott but I also liked to get out with Pete Holfer who, I think, came from the San Gabriel club. Pete was an outstanding caller and shot and a pleasure to hunt with. I don't think we ever came home empty handed.

I liked taking out newbies to show them the ropes but I also hunted with some other pretty savy callers like Thumper McDowell.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 07:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to be sure of, the good old days are never coming back. I couldn't begin to describe the way it was. Imagine, no season and no bag limits on bobcats until some worrywart decided we needed regulations.

Down Memory Lane~

We day hunted maybe 15/20% of the time because night hunting was so much more productive. There were many night when I saw fifty animals.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 07:55 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Moe,
The jacket was my late Father in Laws, Roman Gray. If you knew him or hunted with him, please send me an email at snowcamoman@gmail.com, I'd be interested to chat with you more about it. Thanks.

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2013 10:17 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Iseem to remember the name but I'm sorry to say I never hunted with him.

Yes, things were definetely different. Back then we only called daytime about 5 percent of the time and we killed almost as many bobcats as coyotes. There were areas where cats were thick and cats were hunt winners because of the point system so we concentrated on them.

Things were wild and wooly. The area where I was taught to call is full of houses and shopping centers now. Some of my old haunts are still prime but hunting there is illegal now. Except for Arizona bobcats are highly regulated now. Orego, where I now live, has a serious coyote and cougar problem yet they make hunting them difficult with restricitve laws.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters