The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » "Fewer Takers than Expected for Utah's new 50.00$ Bounty

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Fewer Takers than Expected for Utah's new 50.00$ Bounty
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2013 07:12 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 

Results of 1st yr (7-1-12 to 6-30-13) from Utah's Division of Wildlife, were 7,160 Coyotes turned in @ 50.00$ ea. and 380,950.00$ was pd. out. Also reported an additional 45,000.00$ was pd. to 3 Contractors.

75% of all Coyotes were submitted in Feb.

67% of all Coyotes were shot.

Also reported that "only" 846 Coyotes were killed on summer deer ranges.

The article was in the Salt Lake Tribune Oct 15th edition.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2013 07:28 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...................??????
7160 coyotes @ $50 per each, according to my Jethro Bodine math skills comes to $358,000.
If $380,950 was paid out, that means Lucy's got some 'splainin to do about the $22,950 difference.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2013 07:40 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, I was reading from an iPhone and typing from memory. I don't cut and paste, (a family agreement). Please correct me when you see the need. I was wondering about the 45k number paid to contractors and total amount posted in the article. Thanks for the scolding, I will try harder in the future.

www.sltrib.com

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2013 09:20 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
I had one of my producers tell me he had some Utah hunters here early this year that scalped some of the coyotes I had on a deadpile at his place and take back with them to Utah.

Not sure how that works?

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2013 09:22 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, sounds like it works just like every other bounty system ever tried!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2013 12:33 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike;
No scolding. I just have a bad habit of checking the math when an Agency (usually Government) pulls numbers out of it's ass and presents them as The Truth.

Randy;
About 15 years ago Ore. tried a bounty on coyote scalps for one year. One year only, when the fur market was down.
But............for years afterwards, every roadkilled coyote you saw was missing it's ears. There must have been thousands of scalps in freezers waiting for the bounty program to start back up.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2013 08:58 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like every few years people forget and try something again that failed before.

I guess it just sounded better this time.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2013 06:12 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like every few years people forget and try something again that failed before.
LOL....these are symptoms of a neurological disease that is caused by spending other peoples money!!!!!!

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2013 10:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know....back in the day. Fur prices were on an uptick. Figure there were quite a few zealots here in Kalifornia and the nearest place where they had a bounty was Sweetwater County, Colorado. We used to make a few pilgrimages in that direction because they had a $7 bounty and they had raw fur buyers up there. So, by the time we got there we had CA, NV, UT, and CO coyotes and got bounties supposedly on Colorado coyotes paid for by the local woolgrowers association. What a plan. Very early 70's.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: working for a living and supporting a family, I had to take vacation time off to get to Rock Springs in less than two weeks. It was like work!

edit: when all said and done, hardly paid more than expenses....

[ October 23, 2013, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2013 12:49 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of a friend - literally, don't know his name, never actually spoke to him, let alone met him. Through our mutual aquaintence, has offered me $25 each for heads with the skin on them.

Now... Technically, I see nothing illegal here? I haven't talked to the guy. Don't even know who he is. Just know he's willing to give me $25 each for every lopped off coyote head I can send to him through our mutual aquaintence? I'll literally never talk to him, meet him, if I don't want to, never even know his first or last name. By no means has there been any discussion, at all, on any level about what he wants them for? Could be native American arts and crafts, for all I know?

By the same token, there hasn't been any discussion, at all, on any level, about where they might come from, or how I might aquire them?

Might I assume, the buyer simply isn't interested in that info?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2013 01:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Your first guess sounds most likely, if still a bit strange? I sold mule deer antlers to a guy I worked with, for $50. He was from Shanghai. I also saved a deer penis for another chinese guy from Taiwan. All requested in advance, just casual coworkers. I'd have to speculate what he did with it but would probably not be far wrong? I hope he battered and deep fried it? lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2013 11:35 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
It gets better. http://wildlife.utah.gov/component/content/article/161-hunting/1269-targeted-predator-application.html
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if that is better or not? $10,000 is a tempting amount of money and I don't see the controls in place to screen against fraud?

Furthermore, I fail to see where the program is justified, unless the goal is eliminating the coyote population of western Nevada. Am I being too cynical?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2013 12:55 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
We are pretty much on the same page Leonard.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2013 02:04 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I guess it just sounded better this time.

That would explain how Obummer got re-elected.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2013 02:09 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow just read that contractor link. For the first time in my life I wish Montana was as stupid as Utah. That would be the easiest $10,000 I'd ever earn in my lifetime. Last year I killed around 40 coyotes and considered it a less than average year. It would be nice to get paid 10K for what I'm going to do anydangway.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters