The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Locating (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Locating
92soggy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 04:34 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
When you guys are out locating from your pickup, how long do you wait to howl after you shut the pickup off? Also, how long do you wait after you howl?

I seem to have fairly good luck just shutting the engine down, putting the caller on the roof and playing a group howl immediately. Just wondering if anyone has better luck by waiting a while.

Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 04:48 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes will not only howl back to the howls of strange coyote in the area, but will also approach your position to investigate. If you stay very long after you hear them howl back, you will likely spook some coyotes.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 05:02 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Can't speak for NW coyotes, but sometimes it takes a couple doses of a group howl to bust SW coyotes loose.

Rich is right. Do it, make your notes and move on. The longer you stay, the more you teach.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 05:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New HuntmastersBBS.com 92soggy. Glad to have you on board.

Rich is correct. But, there's a lot more to it that waiting before or after. There is not least, exactly why you are locating and what you intend to do if you do get a response or you don't.

But, he is very correct in stating that if you aren't careful you are doing more harm than good. The thing is, the coyote doesn't know that you are "locating" and might just decide to trot over there and meet the new guy. So, if you are sitting in the cab picking your nose, and the coyote is circling your vehicle, you might have a hard time calling him later on, if ever.

But, there is a lot more to the theory than that and basing your actions on what response or lack of response you got from a group howl.

On the other hand, you say that you get, "fairly good luck" so I wouldn't change anything, were I you.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ September 18, 2013, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 05:35 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
i start locating as soon as the drum of the truck motor clears from my ears.
i will usually wait about 3 minutes max to hear a responce.
don't know why but its quite common too have to wait 1-2 minutes after i howl.
i know guys that leave after 15 seconds if nothing answers

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 05:59 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
When I locate I usually have a rifle ready. Most of my locating is sitting on the tailgate in the evening and listening while being quiet.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 10 posted September 18, 2013 09:23 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
When I locate it's usually because I'm out hunting at night, and if I get a response close enough (say withing a half mile) I walk out towards em and try calling them in.

Some of the people I hunt with tell me I would have a better chance of getting the coyotes to respond If I wait for 5-10 minutes after shutting the rig off to howl.
Just wondering what the Pakmen think about that. [Smile]

92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 09:25 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the welcome Leonard. [Smile]
92soggy
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2013 09:27 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the welcome Leonard. [Smile]
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2013 06:21 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
If locating in the dark, I'm not so sure coyotes are smart enough to know that the sounds came from the truck, if they approach.
Lets say they didn't see the truck pull up but they heard a group howl and decide to investigate. They get there only to find a truck or watch a truck drive off, I'm not convinced that they can put two and two together if the group howl is all they heard, and even if they are smart enough to figure it out, most of us aren't going to come back and try to call them in with the group howl, so IMO, no damage done.
If locating in the dark, I like to start with a siren. I run it for 30-60 sec., then I wait quietly for a couple of minutes, if nothing howls I then will do a group howl. Works pretty good.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2013 06:28 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to hear what Scott, Cal and Randy have to say about locating coyotes that need killin.

PS Good to see you are still kicking Brad.

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2013 08:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading more "group howl" chatter than, say "Lone Howl" which I tend to favor. But again, depends on what you are trying to do. I do not locate at night, for the purpose of returning in daylight to make a stand from where I heard a response, the night before.

I think a siren is just as effective, maybe more so, than a coyote vocalization. First, there is little danger that they will respond by approaching. Second, they really are helpless, they pretty much have to respond, if they hear the siren. As in most cases, it's anybody's guess as to how long they will take their sweet time in responding, but probably sooner than later.

As far as hearing from the pros, I'm wondering if they might opine whenever it would be a negative, locating a problem coyote? Also, in some parts of the country, the coyotes are noticeably tight lipped, all the time or sometimes. Now, what you gonna do?

As Burnham once said, "sometimes this shit don't work".

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS, did I mention, I'm fucking deaf? I like to ride with somebody that has virgin ears when locating, like koko.

[ September 19, 2013, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2013 09:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh????
My hearing in the upper ranges is totally gone. It's been decades since I've heard a cricket chirp.
I once had a really bad streak of luck bow-hunting for deer. Just could not get in on anything without being spotted. The Dumb Light finally came on when a friend asked me how long the alarm on my new digital watch had been beeping. I couldn't hear it even holding it up to my ear. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2013 05:11 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm reading more "group howl" chatter than, say "Lone Howl" which I tend to favor. But again, depends on what you are trying to do. I do not locate at night, for the purpose of returning in daylight to make a stand from where I heard a response, the night before."
----------------------------------
There it is in a nut shell boys. I don't locate at night because I don't call em at night. Coyotes are out hunting at night. If you locate them at midnight, they will be somewhere else come morning. Sure it is good to locate em at night when trying to locate dens in the spring, but that is a whole different game.

--------------------

the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2013 04:25 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
regional differances in responces for sure.
very rare to get 1 here in NW Mn. may have to do with the wolf population??.

Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2013 07:31 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Couple years back, was walking up the hill to make a stand an hour before dark. 2/3 of the way there, heard a vehicle bringin' da mail down the rural highway, 2/3 mile away. State trooper, and he had somewhere to be...FAST. After the wailing sirens passed, a pack of coyotes lit up on the opposing ridge, across the highway. It was worth trudging back down, crossing and setting up close to the howlers. Missed a pup on a driveby @ 300 right away, but managed to pulled a big hackled up male out in to mess with the dog and dry gulched it...

Since we can night hunt here, I will only howl after dark when actually making a stand. Figure I educated alot more coyotes than I killed by trying to 'locate' them. Evidence in the snow suggests that pleny of times, my stand (howling)location has been approached by coyotes. Either I never knew they were there, or they took their sweet azz time and strolled by before dawn broke.
Tracks in the snow the morning after don't lie, the coyotes here seem to like investigating a foreign howl, even hours afterward. That is something I remember Rich Higgins saying at a speaking engagement, and ever since I check my stands the day after to see if & how I screwed up regarding setup and where they approached from. Sometimes tracks would show they moseyed right in where I would have easily seen them. Other times, they hung in the brush, in a blind spot, whatever...
Long & short is, I never howl at night unless its go time!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2013 07:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with TRnCO post..

For locating with E-caller I use group howl followed by two lone howls and wait no more than 5 minutes. With hand howlers I will have 3-4 of them with me and use one or more at each stop.
From what I have read on the net. coyotes are "territorial" so if you locate a pair or more at night they will still be there with-in hearing distance the next day and had some that remained in the area for more than a week.. I also like to locate on calm nights and if a slight breeze comes up then I locate certain sections calling into the wind.. Over cast nights or what Roede calls dirty sky seems to produce the best and clear sky with full moon not so good unless you are very close to start with. And no it doesn't wise up any coyotes that you plan to call a few hrs. or days later...
How much locating will a coyote put up with?
Depends on its security level or age, I've had them answer back most times out all through the winter. [Smile]

[ September 20, 2013, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2013 09:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody considered food sources when `locating`??
I'm thinking that coyotes that answer locating howls from an apple orchard or a dead-pile are more likely to still be close by the next morning than coyotes chasing jackrabbits all over the place.
I can go along with howling / locating to get a general idea of population numbers in a general area, but to me, the concept of howling to plan the following morning's stands is a bit flawed.
YMMV.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2013 04:46 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
In 'sectioned' country it doesn't do a damn bit of good.First there are coyotes in most sections and brain cells ought to tell you where.Second,where they are in the dark mean little as to where they are at dawn.Third,the opposite of 'good' is ...
In 'big' country it rarely does any good that I've seen.Same thing,where we most often hear them is where we where going anyway.And,the opposite of 'good' is....
I'd rather focus on the bait cause the fish will always be there-or close.So,locate bait.

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2013 06:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but guys like Huber never cold call. He howls and moves towards the response, and keeps doing it until he's close enough to make a stand.

First, you have to do an interesting howl. Second, your ears have to be good enough to hear a response, and for as long as it takes.

Third, he is a friggin' hiker of the first order. Some of the stands, when I hunted with him were the longest "walk in" I have ever experienced.

Then again, he said, when he hunted the San Carlos a few years ago that he was completely stumped, so he's not too versed on western conditions, stuff I deal with every day.

In a word, regional.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2013 07:34 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Leonard. Evidently the South Dakota coyotes don't mind howling in daytime. Too much walking burns up good calling time too. Man Oh Man, it is SO much easier to drive to within 100 yards of a stand than walking a mile or more to get there. Huber is gonna be pissed at me for saying that, but the truth is sometimes painful ya know.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2013 07:48 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In 'sectioned' country it doesn't do a damn bit of good.First there are coyotes in most sections and brain cells ought to tell you where
Depends on the numbers for a given area, like here you won't find a coyote in every good looking section.. Terr. here is 3-5 miles with most staying with-in 3 miles of core area. Sure a guy that knows his area can drive most anywhere and find coyote sign. The question is what section are they in on a certain day. The section across the road to the west or are they in the section to the east or perhaps a bird hunter kicked them up in one section so they moved 2 miles to the north.
The purpose of locating is to find out where they are spending most of there time on avr. so fewer stands have to be made and if you make a stand you will know if you were calling to coyotes with-in hearing distance or just a empty section.
I locate them also for areas or sections I plan to hunt which saves time from walking one or two empty sections..
I'd say the avr. call in ratio for a good area is 1 out of every 4 stands, wouldn't it be nice to increase your call in numbers to say 2&4 or 3&4, or action on every stand you make. Bet most would choose the later as well..
Time a hunter has to hunt can be a big factor for some that have to drive a long distance to get into a good area and its well worth taking a extra day just to locate as the coyotes will be around the same spot you located them in prior all week..
I did a hunt a few years back and located 30 some coyotes which was more than enough for a few days of calling. I spent more time driving than calling but had a coyote or coyotes respond on most stands with a avr. ratio of 3 out of 4 stands.. Came back to the area weeks later and called other spots I had located and still had great success.... So the question is why wouldn't you want to locate if its going to up your numbers??? [Smile]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2013 08:01 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"its well worth taking a extra day just to locate as the coyotes will be around the same spot you located them in prior all week.."
-----------------------------
Unless they are spooked out by a bird hunter, or maybe decided to cross over into a different section while hunting at night. Coyotes do in fact move around a lot while out hunting. [Big Grin]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2013 08:25 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Coyotes do in fact move around a lot while out hunting.
Yep! They also like to return to the same spot or area they feel most comfortable in during the day time.. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I have some coyotes that hunt mostly the early mourning hrs. and will move back to there core area just minutes prior to the school bus passing through there area and some will move across a road after the bus has been through. Some will go so far as to adjust there movement to a local hunter that drives the same back roads every mourning taking the same route and coming through at roughly the same time.
A mother that decides to haul the kids to school in the car a little earlier than the bus pick up can change the coyotes plan of returning to the same section and the coyote may hold up for the day in the next section but after a day or so the coyote is back to its same routine.
In the area out west that I call in the best time to catch any coyotes moving about is after most of the ranchers with there kids have gone to town so anytime after 8:00 a.m. till noon is a good time for a visual locate.... Some areas will also see a lot of traffic or people pressure and cause them to move back to the outer edges of there terr. and they will most always be there..
Go out a couple times a month and locate the same coyote at early evening, mid-night or early mourning and find out for yourself they will be pretty close to the same spot you located from prior.. [Big Grin]

Edit to add: If I might add some coyotes in some parts of the country will re-act differently to locate howls depending on security levels and the time of year you locate.
I know during the summer months when family groups are still in tact some groups will respond to your locate howls and also take it as a threat and will move the group farther back into its terr. and away from the threat.. Knowing this if the coyotes don't respond to the first stand I make I just go deeper into there terr. and make one or two more stands and then I'm onto them and if I didn't move in too far then I can just work the edges and hopefully get 2-3 coyotes from a group.

[ September 21, 2013, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2013 02:30 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet the weekends - No school buses or transporting of children by the 'ol minivan, really must screw with a coyote's mind, as well as his travel plans. I think its about Etch-a-Sketch time, Tim. You know how much better we all get your point with a visual.....

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters