The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » The Man (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Man
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2013 09:30 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
I know he would never toot his own horn and he might be a little pissed at me for this. Anyhows, Randy "the man" Roede has taken 325 coyotes since December 15. Some by calling and traps, but mostly snares. I have a grasp of the amount of work and knowledge that goes into something like this. Absolute total respect from me.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2013 09:42 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I just did the math, that is very impressive. I can only imagine the work involved.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2013 11:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how it's done, it's almost mind boggling.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2013 11:29 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
(Gulp) thats a lot!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 04:00 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
way to go Randy. hell of an acomplishment.
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 04:05 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice going Randy!
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 04:49 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed and a good guy to boot.I heard how many in one day awhile back and was floored.Congrats Randy!
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
jasonpredhunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3843

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 05:12 AM      Profile for jasonpredhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! that's a bunch of fur and a LOT of work!
Posts: 68 | From: VA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 08:43 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Randy.That Is quite an acomplishment. Those kind of numbers are truly amazing. Just like those Heid Brothers,very impressive and I'm sure ALOT of work.........

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 09:14 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!!!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 09:17 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
That is obviously quite an accomplishment. Kudos to Randy.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 09:32 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Real nice and a hell of alot work. I seen his shed. More snares than you would think one man would ever need...lol

Stay after them
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
jasonpredhunter
Member # 3843

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 09:34 AM      Profile for jasonpredhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
That's almost a 5/day average. If he puts up the fur I couldn't imagine having to skin, flesh, and stretch that many. How big of an area would this many come from?? I can't even imagine that big of a population of coyotes!
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 09:36 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's an impressive stack of coyotes. Congratulations Randy, that obviously took a lot of work and miles to rack up that many.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 09:47 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Absolute total respect from me.
WORD
Seeing Randy's work shed firsthand offered a glimpse of how dedicated he is! I still cannot comprehend actually running and maintaining all that gear, singlehanded.
Unfrickenbelievable!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 08:32 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Shaw!! LOL
Never could get pissed at you or Geordie, you guys have never shown me nothing but respect and thats what you will get back from me in return.

Thanks for the kind words etc. and it is a lot of work for a soon to be 55 year old guy!

Jason I do haul the carcass coyote to the local buyer. These are property of the State of S.D. and are sold acordingly. Fur quality is not very good. I would say at least 50%, if not 66% have something wrong with them. Short napped, weak inbetween the shoulders, mange, etc. Not to mention the good ones that the eagles find reduce quality even more. I do not put them up, I work 40 hours a week and overtime to handle fur isn't going to fly!

You all may have remembered some of the things us ADC guys say when talking about numbers. It really doesn't matter if we have to kill 1 or a 1000, it's just the number needed to prevent or reduce livestock loss for our producers is what we strive for. IMO a good one knows when to turn it up, or when to turn it down.

In my little 2.2 million acre area it needs to be turned up a couple knotches.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 09:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Any way you look at it Randy, a target rich environment is something to envy, for most of us.

Good hunting. Lima Brav 0

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 10:05 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
J "I can't even imagine that big of a population of coyotes!"

That's because you live in Virginia... I can't imagine there's 325 coyotes in the whole state!

*Let alone seven teams, to enter a contest hunt. [Wink]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jasonpredhunter
Member # 3843

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2013 11:29 AM      Profile for jasonpredhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Krusty!! LOL
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2013 06:18 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
good job randy, you been busy

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Puzzling thing is we have had 3 calling contests right here around Pierre.

Combined, 110 teams only 136 coytoes killed!

Not very good!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 04:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, from what I have seen of Pierre, the country seems to hold less coyotes than it should? I'm not an expert on coyote country, but I have seen good looking stuff and poor looking stuff and usually poor looking stuff does not hold many coyotes. On the other hand, good looking stuff usually holds a decent population of coyotes, all things being equal. If it doesn't, there might be other factors in play, such as drought or control issues, maybe parvo, something like that?

Anyway, I only spent a week between there and Rapid City and up around Custer, but I don't think I saw 10 coyotes? Didn't seem right, ya know?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 04:55 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Puzzling thing is we have had 3 calling contests right here around Pierre.

Combined, 110 teams only 136 coytoes killed!

Not very good!

What was the weather like for the 3 contests???
As you know high winds will keep the kill numbers down or if the snow is too deep to get around in..
I know some of the ranches I call on are not allowing non-members to coyote hunt on them due to a change in managers...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 05:14 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
LB your right, if there was ever a part of the country that the phrase " 90% of coyotes live in 10% of the country" it would be here.

Spent many days in the backseat of a Super Cub on pure white snow, from sun up to sunset huntin coyotes. At times they were as thick as fleas on a dogs back. Other times not so much. You cover a lot of square miles doing that in a day and you get a good idea about where and why coyotes are where you find them.

If memory serves me right the highest recorded population estimate here statewide was 1 per square mile or roughly 80,000 coyotes.

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2013 07:32 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Good job.
I can remember those kind of populations until the big die off 6 or so years back.
Those type of numbers are easy to do with a huge coyote population.
Now with the die off and millions of acres burnt getting those numbers are near impossible in our area.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters