The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » The long walk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The long walk
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:32 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
After a couple days of some snow and lots of wind, we figured it would be a good time for the long walk. Forecast was clear skies and winds out of the northwest 10-15 mph.

We parked one truck at a roadside park and drove the other to a gate southeast of that location. I had my cousin Troy waypoint both locations on his gps and it indicated 8.3 miles between both vehicles...as the crow flies. With zig zagging between sandhills, probablly walked close to 10 miles.

In a nutshell, the hunting was terrible and we killed two. It did not seem the numbers were there. We saw about 12 different sets of tracks including 2 pair traveling together. Every single track was heading south and departing the hills we were headed into. There was a feedlot in that general direction and we figured they were headed for there after being layed-up for a couple of days. That is just speculation, but we may have been able to pick-up a couple more without the prior storm and winds causing the migration for an easy meal.

One of two

-

-

Stopping for a drink
 -

-

-

-

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 10:46 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics!
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 10:54 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Livin' the dream, Randy! That is some breathtaking scenery to get lost in for a while...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 11:10 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
YuckItUpRed
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 11:20 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Good looking country but it looks a little to cold for this guy.
IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 11:49 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
A man with a plan much like mine. Love long walks myself, in country much like that. Hate it when the coyotes don't co-operate, but sure is fun when they do.

[ February 12, 2013, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!!!!! [Cool]
Gotta love a long quiet stroll.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 05:22 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
looks like great country
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 05:29 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Now thats a hunt!! Nice pics and story.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 05:56 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
R. Shaw,

Beautiful photo's! Sounds as though you did OK on your hunt, but walking ten miles? Holy Crap! You didn't hunt with Huber too long or something did ya? That guy loves walking for certain. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:19 PM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Really great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2013 09:27 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that walking is becoming a lost art. I've killed my share of deer by just quietly strolling along on a gated two track or pipeline with my bow and a day-pack. Now, it seems that whenever I get back into a good area somebody comes along on a quad-runner looking for something to shoot.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 08:56 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now, it seems that whenever I get back into a good area somebody comes along on a quad-runner looking for something to shoot.

Ain't that the truth, Koko? Back in the day, you had an advantage if you were willing and able to drive, walk, or camp off the beaten path. Makes no difference anymore. Folks trailer their quads in from the motel, drive by your camp while you're having coffee, and drive through the area you want to sneak around in all day long.

I am officially old.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2013 11:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Got up this morning in COYOTE CENTRAL, McNeal and it was 15°. I drove probably 25 miles with frost on my windshield and the windshield wipers were frozen, of course. And, I thought it was cold in El Paso!

I can tell you people that it is official, Vic reads the Board every day, sometimes twice a day and makes note of everything but (apparently) he can't type? Anyway, he is officially appointed as HM's "Lurker Moderator", so watch what you say. He is making a list, and you don't want to be on it!

BTW, he lost his sister-in-law to cancer, so condolences are sent on behalf of everyone.

Maybe, (just maybe) I will buy his ranch and start charging him to bunk there. I have to solve this nonres license fleecing by the state of az. Maybe being a ranch owner, I can get a license for $30, hell that would pay for itself, eventually!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: we talked about everybody, gossiped like a couple old hens. I'm all knowed up.

[ February 13, 2013, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2013 08:22 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing Randy. I like those long walks.

Almost makes me miss the sandhills

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
jasonpredhunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3843

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2013 02:45 PM      Profile for jasonpredhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Great pics Randy...A coyote every 4 miles ain't too bad! I'd just hate to drag them that far though!
Posts: 68 | From: VA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters