The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Wounded coyote/ blood trails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wounded coyote/ blood trails
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 12:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this on another site and thought it might be of interest to some or just something else to talk about..

quote:
you'll find in that book that most blood trails like you discribed are head/jaw shots, the bleed alot and are easy to track but not always quickly fatal.

Agree/ disagree...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How can somebody agree or disagree? It doesn't make much sense. There should be qualifiers for practically every word. Where did you write that and what was the original question?

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 01:34 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I did'nt write the quote.

Here are more details to exsplain what went on or happened.
quote:
He crossed our wind, but I had sprayed some of Tony's Predator Confidence lure out and he didn't bolt. My buddy shot him with his .22-250 and we both heard a solid THWOCK. Yote went down but got up, spun and ran to the woods before he could put another in him (he needed an "assault rifle" instead of a bolt action). For two hours, we trailed an arterial blood trail that looked like someone had used a watering can to sprinkle for at least 500 yards until the yote left the woods and crossed a muddy cow watering hole
quote:
blood trails like you discribed are head/jaw shots, they bleed alot and are easy to track but not always quickly fatal.

The question is do you believe its a head wound or blood comeing from somewhere else???

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 02:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
IS THIS TRUE?

quote:
Tony's Predator Confidence lure
This ^ guy is getting on my nerves. It is not lure, anyway. Has he ever had an original thought?

Trailing a coyote for two hours? Maybe if you are crawling on your hands and knees with both arms amputated.

Another Leonard Fact: You heard it here; if you track a coyote blood trail for 800 yards, you will never catch up with him, and it won't take two hours.

Let me guess. Is this more PM wisdom?

Good hunting. Lima Brav 0

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 02:45 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Leonard I got it from P.M.

I guess what I was getting at is how can one tell if its a head wound or if it was hit somewhere else with out actually seeing where the bullet hit.
I've seen coyotes that had the bullet blow the tip of one paw off and they bleed for some time while trailing them and same can be said for a lower leg wound or a wound to the back part of the body. Usually I can tell what side of the coyotes body the wound is on by looking at the blood in the snow and in relation to the coyotes tracks. As far as the body its pretty tuff unless the coyote beds down once or twice or will stand still long eough for the blood to drop straight to the ground and then look to see where its at in relation to its tracks.. I found its alot easier to get a rough idea if you have snow on the ground vrs. just dirt or grass..
Thought you would get a kick out of TT's lure..LOL

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 03:00 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with TA, damn did I just say that, that without seeing the hit it's dang tough to tell what the hit was by simply looking at blood splatter.

I've tracked two coyotes, both with snow, for well over 1/2 mile to get them killed before. Including this one. The bloody area low and behind the shoulder was the first hit. When it was obvious that he wasn't dead because he got lined out to run away, I put another bullet in his left hind hip. Took me 90 minutes before I caught up close enough to get a finisher in him. Gun is .17 Rem. My first season with it, and I've decided that it won't go out unless I have tracking snow. This coyote wasn't leaving a lot of blood, despite that shot placement. It made a large circle and I finally killed it just a 1/2 mile from where I originally shot it. I'll bet it went a mile and a half by the time I caught up with it and got it killed.
 -
I tracked one other coyote for nearly 3 miles that had been hit with a 30-06 as it was running away from us. That coyote had been hit on the inside hind hip and was basically running on 3 legs, but he sure was able to go, despite leaving a bunch of blood with every step.

[ January 18, 2013, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 03:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job on the tracking..
The coyote in the pic would be a tough one to read as far as where its hit unless you had belly deep snow..
Did you track the coyote right away or give it some time?? What bullet you useing???
Did the coyote move down hill and follow the bottom of a drainage? How far was the first shot?

Edit to add: did you use any Predator Confidence lure on stand? [Wink]

[ January 18, 2013, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
this coyote was #2 on the stand. This coyote blew through my stand because I just didn't see'em coming in time to get control. I got the 2nd coyote stopped and shot and then called this one back. He came back swinging a circle around me at about 150 yards. Finally got him stopped and hit him low and behind the shoulder. He spun a couple of times, and I could see blood, but then he got going in a straight line. He was probably near 200 yards by the time I shot my 2nd shot and hit him in the left hip. That rolled him, but he got back up and struggled another 20 yards then layed down. Then he got up and moved another short distance and layed down again. I could then see him well enough that I decided to try to put another in him, but missed. That got him up and the race was on. I got up and starting following him at that point. There were areas where there was very little snow and even to small south facing hills that he went up, and I simply had to go over the hill to find snow, and pick back up on his tracks. I was really surprised that he didn't hole up at some point, especially since he went into some hills. He came back down out of the hills back into the low wide drainage, and that's when I was able to get him spotted and shot, since I was up on a hill, and he was down below in the drainage.
25 gr. Nagels.

on edit....no lure used.......ever....

[ January 18, 2013, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 04:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have qualified my remarks. Anybody can track a bleeding coyote in snow for a very long ways. In fact, with certain kinda of snow, I have seen quite a few sets of coyote tracks showing blood, just due to abrasion, not wounded. I meant in sand and gravel and I dare somebody to track a coyote a half mile. And, all the rocks and gravel is rust and brown colored anyway. In the first place, by the time they get that far, they have stopped bleeding. All you have left is blood rubbing off on brush and it takes a keen eye to follow blood that is on weeds and brush instead of drops on the ground. Smeared dried blood is very hard to detect in western conditions, even if there is snow on the ground, but the dried blood is on brush off the ground.

All I can go by is my personal experience and I have VERY little confidence in finding a coyote that has managed to get a half mile from the point of the shot.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 18, 2013, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 05:33 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
The way TT recommends it's use it is a lure. A little LDC or gland lure on the bush near the call would be equivalent to what he is selling.

I've had a shoulder hit bleed like that.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2013 06:56 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I can sometimes tell by the pitch and loudness of the WHACK what part of the body I hit but it isn't reliable enough that I'd bet the ranch on it. Blood isn't always a good indicator either, unless you have significant sprays every three or four feet showing an arterial hit. Hell, on two separate occasions, I've seen coyotes hit in the side of the chest run forty to fifty yards into heavy cover and, upon recovery, found that the impact had blown the heart and both lungs clean out of the chest cavity. How tough a bastard do you have to be to run fifty yards through dense cover with no heart, no lungs, and more than enough adrenalin?

Having said that, I've hit a couple that went down, jumped up and ran off. By the sound of the hit and the way the coyote reacted, gut feeling alone said to be looking and admned if we didn't find a dead coyote within thirty yards, down in the cover, no blood trail, and no blood on the coyote.

Did have a good hit on one at about 300 yards once that went down and got back up. Splatters of blood on the frosty ground. Started tracking. It was sticking to the edge of the river using cover to stay hidden. I sent my partner out and around and told him to cut back in 300 yards ahead of me. The coyote was crawling from brush pile to brush pile. Matt being out front suddenly and he took off across an open field and ended it all. Arterial blood spurts for most of 500 yards and the bastard still had good wind for the chase.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2013 11:28 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Hock clipped a coyote one time and found blood real quick had hounds and a blue heeler(who thought she was a hound) we dumped the dogs and the atv and the race was on. Other half figured it went over 5 miles and a running fight by the time he caught up with everyone. It took about an hour for the whole event.
But my shot wasn't a killing vital shot.
Found a curled up dead pup one time that had been clipped shot at the front of the leg/shoulder and it had died from gang green it looked like. Puss everywhere and stink.
Met the great TTB one time in Idaho they couldn't hit the side of the barn and educated a ton of coyotes that trip. I wasn't part of that team thank god.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters