The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Bounty on Utah coyotes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bounty on Utah coyotes
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 05:49 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/bounty-placed-coyotes-protect-mule-deer-utah/?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Outdoor%20Hub%20News&utm_content=July+5%2C+2012+Duck+ Populations
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 06:27 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was concluded that bounty systems were ineffective in controlling coyote populations?

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 08:04 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it isn't...
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 08:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Utah realizes how creative people can be in circumventing their well-intended policy. Really naive.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 08:54 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I think they realize it,I just think it's like any other Government program.They think If you throw enough money at it people will think you are actually trying to fix a given problem,when in reality we know they just waste money and create more problems in the process...

Good Hunting Chad

[ July 06, 2012, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 09:01 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A $50 bounty will draw interest...............and fraud. I didn't see if the bountied animals could still be sold for fur; if so, prime Utah coyotes would be worth some serious coin. I'm also curious as to how they are going to keep out of area coyotes from being bountied or plain old road-killed coyotes for that matter.

Speaking of road-kill...........Some years back, Oregon had a bounty program put on by the (I believe) Oregon Hunters Assn. Both ears connected by a patch of scalp was to be turned in. Frozen collections were fine. The skin could then be sewn, stretched & sold. It made kind of a funny looking pelt, but not a problem to an honest fur buyer. The program ran for a couple of years and was then discontinued.
What I found amusing was the fact that for several years afterward EVERY coyote laying alongside the road was scalped in anticipation of the program starting up again. As far as I know, it never did.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7581 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 10:47 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you could do ok money wise. Here's a thought, the DWR wants people to focus there efforts from Dec. to June. You could hunt Coyotes hard in Utah for the Bounty from say Feb. til Sept. take the money you make off the Bounty system buy Nevada's Bullshit non resident trappers license so you can sell the fur. Use the rest of the bounty money you have to pay for gas to go to Nevada during prime fur time. And you're being honest all the way around.....lol it's a Win Win situation [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

[ July 06, 2012, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 05:09 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Complete online training and registration at wildlife.utah.gov/predators.
2. Present the coyote and the properly filled out compensation form to the DWR. The
compensation form must include the GPS location where the coyote was taken, the
identity of the person who took it, and the date of removal.
3. Check in the coyote's lower jaw and either the full pelt or the scalp (with both ears
attached). Coyote ears will be marked by the DWR to prevent double payments.
Disposal of carcasses is the responsibility of the program participant.
4. Check in coyotes only at designated sites and on designated days and times. Checkin
sites and procedures will be listed at wildlife.utah.gov/predators before Sept. 1,

Not sure that you're going to be selling any of the pelts since you have to turn in a portion of it to collect the bounty. Hell, I wonder how many guys will even take part because they'd rather drop off the whole carcass and be done with it. Seems like there's no shortage of guys that just want to kill'em and leave'em lay, so those guys probably won't take the time to partake in this program.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 05:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just like I have always said, such as regulating night hunting in Arizona. Anytime you allow the bureaucrats to dream up the rules, you have a situation, such as I see with the Utah program. If there is a way to fuk it up, you can trust bureaucrats to find it.

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 06:12 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my point was that it wouldn't be that tough to kill 40-50 coyotes in Utah between March and Sept. that's up to $2500 bucks.Minus your gas costs.Even if you cleared $1500,you could buy the $300 non resident trappers license from Nevada and still have $1200 for gas to make some runs to Nevada during the Prime fur season. Then hunt Nevada from Oct.-Feb. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, is there a place, like in Fallon, (for instance) where a guy can turn in full body, and do you need that fur bearers license to do it?

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 07:28 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure. I've never turned in a full body coyote in Nevada before. But i would bet that selling is selling skinned or not. so illegal without a license. Stupid ass law for sure...

Good Hunting Chad

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 07:51 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think with every coyote running around having a $50 bill attached to it will draw some pretty serious interest. It sure would around here.

Every deer and elk hunter who just spent $100 in gas to get to his hunting spot isn't going to give a coyote a pass anymore. I'd think trapping, calling, chasing them with snowmobiles, whatever is going to get a whole lot more interest.

Heck, I'd think your average high school kid who hunts a little is going give McD's the bird and go try to collect some bounty money.

A few years back the U.S Army Corp of Engineers put a $2-3 bounty on squawfish to protect the ocean migrating salmon and steelhead smolts. You wouldn't believe the interest it got. There were river guides offering squawfish trips on the rivers and articles in the paper on the best tackle and baits to use. The Corp even hired people to fish around the dams to catch squawfish. And yep, there was cheating going on also.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 08:24 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My prediction is that Utah will run out of $50 dollar bills before it runs out of coyotes.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7581 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubtful, Utah is Mormon Country and they have the coin. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 10:29 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Therein lies the problem though,you have to kill the coyote before you can collect the bounty. I hear how all this bounty stuff is going to put all this pressure on the coyotes and that there won't be any left for the serious coyote hunters.lol Bullshit!! For guys who haven't put in the time here in Utah it is damn tough to call numbers of coyotes.I can see guys go out and kill a coyote or two in a half dozen or so trips and realize it ain't worth the time and effort for the 50 bucks they recieved for all that gas they put in there truck to find it/them.Man when most of the winners of the coyote contests here win with 1 or 2 coyotes that tells you how rich you will get with this new bounty program.lol

Good Hunting Chad

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 11:35 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
They want efforts concentrated between March and September, but I don't see where it says they won't pay the rest of the year. As I read those regs it says they're going to MARK the ears. Doesn't say anything about them keeping the pelt, so couldn't a guy collect twice on prime coyotes? If so, that's going to piss off the guys who have been in charge of county bounty programs. My understanding, in San Juan anyway, was that the county agent didn't pay bounty money except during prime times so he could buy in the round with county money and then sell the fur. Do county programs cease?

Gonna be a learning experience at any rate.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2012 08:52 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad;
If the person turning in a coyote for the bounty is allowed to retain possession of the pelt for sale, expect to see the return of the long-liner running traps in Utah and neighboring states.
If there's money involved, rules will be bent. If there's serious money involved, rules will be seriously bent.

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2012 11:07 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I just really don't think much will come of this whole 50 dollar bounty thing,it will fade away and people will wonder what ever happened to it. time will tell I guess

Good Hunting Chad

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2012 11:50 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
It might pay to rent the tailgate out as billboard space, and gather beer cans along the roads on the weekends.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Get ahead of the curve now and be the guy that puts on classes on how to make big money hunting cashing in on the bounty, has a line of calls with a cool "Bounty Hunter" logo.

Don't wait start now!

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2012 01:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting that Coyote University guy in Texas, (Tibbe) has already beat everybody else to the punch. It is definitely something he would do. Ask Shaw, I hear they are tight?

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2012 01:26 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard be nice, he's gotta be pushin 10,000 coyote kills by now. [Wink]

Good hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that the most common violation of any "bounty program" is that the district needing relief winds up paying a bounty on animals coming from far distant locations. The more thinning of the herd, the more dishonesty, cashing in on animals from hundreds of miles away. As an admitted violator, years ago in southern Wyoming, I am sure that people interested in devious stuff will find ways of gaming the system.

Good hunting. Lima Bravo

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters