The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Bear question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bear question
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2011 08:29 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from a week of running the ranger around Lake City CO.
Seen all kinds of critters including 6 mature bears and a few cubs.
All the bears were cinnamon/brown color phase.

My question is I think one of the sows and one of the boars was Grizz.
The first look at the sow and cubs, I saw the hump thru the binoc's jerked them down and told the crew thats a grizz.
Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew if there were many sure nuff Grizz Bears in that area of CO?

Regards
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2011 10:08 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly my old boss used to elk and deer hunt North of Durango on Cherry creek for years. He's seen one griz, his hunting partner had another one keep him up a tree way into the night.

They spoke with the rangers there and they confirmed griz roamed around there, along with lots of big cats.

That area is just West of Lake city, I don't see why not.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2011 02:00 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
if you think it was a Griz than it most likely was.
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
32below
Member # 2075

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2011 07:26 PM      Profile for 32below   Email 32below         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.outdoors-411.com/news/wildlife/060927-colorado-grizzly-bear.html
Not confirmed

Posts: 100 | From: SW Kansas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
32below
Member # 2075

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2011 07:28 PM      Profile for 32below   Email 32below         Edit/Delete Post 
Either that or was that some "special" tobacco in that cigar?????
Posts: 100 | From: SW Kansas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2011 10:59 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly,

It can be really tough to tell the difference. I have seen a few big color-color phased black bears that look like a grizzly. Sometimes, they can even appear to have a hump depending on how they are standing. Here is an id test that Montana puts out that helps you differentiate between the two. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the "click here to start."

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/

However, I can't speak specifically about the area you were in.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2011 12:02 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 93. Missed one of 15.
thx Travis

Regards
Kelly

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2011 12:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Surprised, I missed two. However, I think they picked photos that were not very definitive. Had we seen a bear walking around, I think there would be abundant clues so that mistakes would be rare. Rare, that is to the hunter, observer that will be making a decision he must live with.

Interesting test though?

gh....lb

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2011 07:28 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I got certified with a passing score of 100%.. [Cool]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5061 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2011 08:37 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I got em all right too.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2011 08:42 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
"I got certified with a passing score of 100%.. [Cool] "

Great job TA....

Now write a short essay on both The Grizzly Bear and the Black Bear,and yes you will be graded on spelling.. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 10:52 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda tricky on one or two but I got 100% and didn't hesitate on any of them.

We get a little more practice farther north: since they came out of hibernation this spring I've seen four grizz and 15 or 16? black bears (three of which have been brown).

First pic below is a mama grizz & the top of the heads of her two cubs just over the road bank. We slowed to take a pic which put us closer to her cubs than she was. She was getting real agitated, bellowing and growling, slinging slobber as she whippped her head side to side and bounced on her front feet.

-

A few miles away on the same road, a brown colored black bear, limping badly on one hind leg. Both pics about three weeks ago. The specks in the second photo are mosquitos...

-

[ August 18, 2011, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters