The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Calling contest preparations (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Calling contest preparations
Baldknobber
Knows what it's all about
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 07:46 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously when you enter a contest a couple of states away you have to prepare somehow. Do you pre-scout, have a partner from that area, pre-hunt in advance, leave a day or two early to get permission? How do you guys do it? What works for you? How much time do you spend in preparations?

[ February 28, 2011, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: Baldknobber ]

--------------------
JTBMO

Posts: 202 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2011 11:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, scout as much as you have the time. You need to know exactly where you will start and should have figured out as many stands in advance as you have time for. The second day, you need to be prepared to change plans, depending on your results previously, and have your travel time back to check in estimated very accurately.

It would be nice if all your gear is ready to go, stashed where you can get to it quickly and maybe spares of everything if you have them?

All pretty basic stuff. Work quick and efficiently, don't take breaks, eat and drink between stands.

It's a sprint and a marathon rolled together. Don't make any mistakes and don't miss!

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31457 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 01:51 AM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you would be running on adrenaline and be wanting a hot shower by the end of the contest.

--------------------
JTBMO

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 02:27 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a lot of work.

Are cash rewards the motivation?

[ March 01, 2011, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 03:18 AM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
scouting is KEY!!. its nice to KNOW there are coyotes in the area instead of hoping there are. we try to coriograph our stand sites and a time frame for each. my partner and i usually split up 2 miles apart and we try to meet back at a cental location at the same time.eating and drinking is done going to the next stand.not sitting idol. timing is everything. i minute can cost lottsa money. shot placement is very important. one can waste alot of time chasing a cripple expecially when you don't recover it. pick a partner that you click with. it helps!!
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 06:27 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I always found that a bikini wax reduces chafing. Manicure and pedicure are a must also. A hangnail can ruin the whole hunt.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 02:22 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Note to self,

avoid any one on one time out in the middle of nowhere with Cal Taylor!!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2011 08:22 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, beware of those Brazilian bikini waxes. Brutal!

--------------------
JTBMO

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2011 09:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kinda disappointed. I always thought Cal was a Man's Man, but (in my opinion) this waxing stuff is for sissies and queers. Girly girls. Of course, some of my best friends are sissies and queers, so don't think I'm a bigot or prejudicial. I just had Cal pegged all wrong. Dang!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2011 09:19 AM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't say it was for him. Maybe he just likes his partner clean and gussied up.

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2011 10:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mebe? But, in the meantime, Roade's advice looks good. No Brokeback moments for this kid. I hate surprises.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 06:37 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and next you guys are going to tell me that I shouldn't be using sunscreen and moisturizing lotion while outdoors to keep from getting wrinkles. I especially like lilac scented stuff. And I suppose no hair gel either. You know that something as small as your hair blowing in the breeze can tip off a coyote and copius amounts of hair gel fixes that problem!

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 06:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
3Toes;
Do you feel that it's important to match the lotion scent to the area, as in apple scented hair products near apple orchards for example????

This could be serious secret stuff!!!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 08:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we're telling you that. Unless you don't care about your reputation? Fufoo? Lilac? MOISTURIZER? When did the weatherbeaten look go out, up on Brokeback? I'm confused!

Is violence still an option, or maybe a hug?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 06:03 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate this best in another story. I'm trying not to pick on baldknob too bad, but once I had the good fortune to meet a guy from Utah that had killed numerous huge mule deer. A real nice guy and we were visiting and I couldn't help myself and I knew I had stuck my foot in my mouth when I asked, "where did you kill these huge deer?" He just looked at me and grinned and asked me point blank if I wanted him to lie and tell me somewhere, or just let it be at the fact that he wasn't telling. I apologized and told him I knew I had asked the wrong question as the words left my mouth. Same with the info BK is asking for. Surely he doesn't really think that any of the guys that are proficient contest hunters are going to give away secrets on a public forum, or privately for that matter? So just poking a little fun, he's still a good guy.

--------------------

Baldknobber
Member # 514

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 06:42 PM      Profile for Baldknobber   Email Baldknobber         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, poking is OK. Just was adding up the dollars and cents and seems to me that if you live two states away and have to go and procure permission and scout(this all takes times as you well know) that by the time you've scouted and got permission, returned home, and then went back and competed that you've just pissed away a boatload of money. Travel and lodging and food.

Hell for that amount of dinero you could buy a new rifle and a good burris, or maybe buy a Swarofski. You could go to a good Walt Woodard roping clinic. TWICE. God knows I need that since I havent picked up a rope in at least two years!

--------------------
JTBMO

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 09:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are beginning to see the problem. More than scouting, you need some good connections.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2011 09:52 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, ok i will ask [Confused]
were in his first post did he ask where to kill coyotes?
quote:
give away secrets?
I must of mist that question also

I think LB answered most of the guys questions in LB's first post witch was spot on.

[ March 03, 2011, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2011 12:27 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a below average predator caller, I think Baldknobber just answered 49’s question. It is a learning experience, bragging rights, and social deal for the most part. At least to me.

Don’t let the dollars and cents discourage you. Consider…. How many teams entered last year. How much effort is the competition going to put in. The importance to you of winning. Who is going to be there. Things you could learn. Put a value on it and don’t spend more than that.

I have easily spent $6K over the 5 years I hunted the World. (a contest that I knew up front that my chances of winning were slim to none) Given the people I have met, the things that I learned, and the personal accomplishments (that are not recognized by anyone but me), I have never wished for a cent of it back. To be honest I kind of miss it.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2011 12:42 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan J that answers my question. Thank you.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2011 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he means meeting me. yuk yuk

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Among many others……. Probably one of the slowest moving periods of time in your life, Leonard.

[ March 04, 2011, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Bryan J ]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
You usually take out what you put in to a contest. The more effort, the greater the reward. But you can't kill what aint there!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2011 06:01 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
So I should return the bikini wax?
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2011 05:28 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Only if its not used Tom.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters