The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What would you give up? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What would you give up?
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2011 10:51 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be gone for a couple of weeks so i will let you guys hash this one out.

Recreational caller: If you had to give up ONE tool up to be banned what would it be and WHY, DAYTIME calling only. Your tools are as follows

Hand call

E-Caller

Rifle

Shotgun

Shooting Aid (shooting sticks or bi-pod)

Range Finder

This should be a wide range amongst guys that hunt different terrain.

The ADC guys your tools are as follow: ( you can answer both)

Traps

Snares

M-44's

Rifle

Airplane

Dogs

Scott touched on a topic awhile ago about picking the one tool you could use but what would be the one that you could lose and STILL KEEP YOUR JOB.

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 12:11 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Range finder; it's the one thing on the list I don't own now.

I'd hate to see them out and out banned though.

I don't really qualify as an ADC man, and I'm assuming you mean foothold traps, so I didn't have any of those tools at my disposal in my nuisance control work.

The one tool I that I really would've loved to have, isn't on your list, it's the Collarum.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
SD Howler
taught Huber everything he knows, but not everything HE knows!
Member # 3669

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 04:46 AM      Profile for SD Howler   Author's Homepage   Email SD Howler         Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of a recreational caller, I could still use my voice for calling with howls and lip squeaks, but banning the use of a rifle for my open country calling would surely have reduced the number of coyotes that I shot.

As a former ADC trapper, the M-44 (sodium cyanide device) would been one tool that would have been hard to lose.

--------------------
Steve
Predator Calling
rattler51@pie.midco.net

Posts: 51 | From: SD | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 05:26 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
This is easy for me , the range finder would be the first to go .
I do own one for archery hunting though I have not used it much for that, as I wont take a shot over 45 yards any way and am Confident within that range and under.Now that you brougjt it up anybody want to buy a rangefinder.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 09:01 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Never even considered using a range finder on a coyote stand. So that's the easy choice. But fully half the things on that list, I never use and wouldn't know the difference if they were gone.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 09:24 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Shotgun would be the first to go for me,most of my shots are 60-150 yards.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 09:33 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
All Ive ever used is a rifle,a call and a stool; and I suppose they will serve me well until I quit calling coyotes. I did forget to add a drag, which for me is a four foot piece of "muletape", made hauling them back to the truck, even with multiples much eaiser on my grip.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 09:47 AM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely the range finder. While I do use one bowhunting, I have never even thought of taking one on a coyote hunt.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
A handcall and rifle are all I had for years.

I could easily give up the shotgun, the rangefinder, not so much.

For years I proudly stated that most of my shots averaged about 50 yards. After a bit more thinking on that, I came to realize I've been leaving a few coyotes to be educated cause I wouldn't shoot at them over 200 yards except on a few rare occasions.

I've discovered turrets and special reticles that need the range finder to make me more efficient. I'm still not TA of course and have increased my range to only 400 yards, which at the moment is the longest range I can make solid hits off sticks.

Maybe one day a 17 pred would increase my range but for now the 223 will have to do.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 10:44 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Give me the shotgun and the hand calls and good to go. All the other junk is just extra weight [Smile]
IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 10:58 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I could give up the range-finder and shotgun.. I don't use either one that much...
Tom I took one the other day at 425 yds. no range finder till after it was over.. Got a double today, one at 75 yds and the other at 300 yds.. Piece of cake..LOL

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 11:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he said ONE item, right? Since I hardly ever tote a rangefinder or binoculars, that would be an easy choice except that I don't use a shotgun much, and when I do, it's deliberate and I hunker down in a spot designed for "ground sluicing" as Vic likes to call it.

Something ND left out and something I have grown increasingly dependent on, is a stool of some sort and after a half dozen or so, I find that I am really fussy about stool specifics. In any case, I have so much trouble with my back that I can't sit on the ground very long and after a few stands, I'm either standing or kneeling. I'm not prone either, because I have a lot of trouble from a whiplash many years ago and cannot sustain my head in that position for very long.

When you get right down to it, everything I tote is important and I would be greatly handicapped if I had to leave any of them behind. Well, a drag rope is non essential, I can do four coyotes, unassisted, if I have to.

Good hunting. LB

edit: okay, three, for sure

[ January 05, 2011, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 11:41 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
As a recreational caller, I don't use shooting sticks or a bipod. At least right now, as it is all shotgunning for me.

That could change if I ever make it out west.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 11:45 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Rangefinder.

I know a lot of guys like to play sniper calling coyotes, but..sorry.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 11:53 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard. Have you tried laying on youre side with a little cushion for youre butt. I find this to be more comfortable than trying to sit up or laying prone. May not work when calling in the heavy stuff...

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 01:05 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Leonard. Have you tried laying on youre side with a little cushion for youre butt. I find this to be more comfortable than trying to sit up or laying prone. May not work when calling in the heavy stuff...

Stand by, I'm getting a visual here...

OK, got it.
Warm Nevada stand: lite weight camo banana hammock
Close quarters: maybe a pistola then?
Laying on your side with cushion: CHECK!

-

(guitars added 'cause chicks dig 'em)

[ January 05, 2011, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 01:06 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
Rangefinder.

I can sit with the best of them. It's the getting up and down that are an issue.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 01:17 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
knockemdown; Looks like you need to loose a little weight, and a hair-cut would'nt hurt.. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lungbuster
Knows what it's all about
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 01:27 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
I could do without the rangefinder.
Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 02:10 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I like to carry my range finder isn't to range a specific Coyote at long range,it's to range the landscape on the stand before I start to call.Some of the areas I call with large canyons or larger sage brush flats the terrain can play tricks on your distance judging.Even short range.So I'll take a second and range a few places to get a ballpark for distances.I was quite surprised at how far off I was sometimes at judging the distances.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 02:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes. As a matter of fact, that's what I had to do up north. I dug out the snow as best I could and tried several prone positions. I tried sideways leaning on the snowbank and a few times I positioned myself with a fencepost on my back. I can say this unequivocally, Canadians use better fenceposts than we do! No steel, no dead crooked branches. They use turned and treated ? Damn, he told me what it was and I forget?

Anyway, I was able to manage well enough just kneeling. Well, I stuck up a bit higher than the other guy, but I do not believe I was spotted by any critter?

Laying in sort of a "C" shape, I found it quite comfortable and leaning my shoulder against the snowbank, the visibility was very adequate.

I would never think of laying down prone, in desert country. Too many cactus spines laying around; they shed and seem to last forever. And then, there are those creepy crawlies, scorpions, snakes, Gila Monsters(rare), lots of ants that bite, centipedes the size of a cigar, Tarantulas and whatnot. Nope, I like to get off the ground a little bit.

Good hunting. LB

edit: I will say this. Bald guys with long hair, wearing only black thong underwear. Tthis may be real chick magnet stuff in New Yawk. Out here, they would call the POLICE, immediately. I know I would!

edit: your Nevada visual is in error. I have never seen a potential stand location where a pistol or a shotgun would come in handy. If Nevada is anything, it is long range. Whereas many people talk about their average shot being less than 100 yards; in Nevada it could be more like 250 yards. No shit.

[ January 05, 2011, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31460 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 02:58 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
range fider for because to have one thats reliable enough for coyotes cost to damn much.
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 03:27 PM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give up the internet. [Razz]

Next would be to give up the shooting sticks if I could do as I do now, which is pick up a stick when one may be needed.

I don't have a range finder but would like to have one, though wouldn't use it much for coyotes!

Ditto to Leonard on the stool. It is one of my most used items, and I have tried a dozen or more: some homemade, some modified, a few used and discarded as they were. Currently using a tri-legged stool modified to extend different length legs to fit uneven ground.

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 03:52 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I would give up a shotgun. A rangefinder would normally be next, but it does come in handy every so often for the ones that hang up at long range.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2011 03:55 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I have been using alot the past few years that I KNOW has helped put more fur on the stretcher is a good pair or Binoculars.Especially in the Open Sage brush country I call in Northern Nevada.....

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters