The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » A few stands...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A few stands...
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
None of them good. [Wink]

The first one, yesterday.

Lookin right and then left;

-

-

The second one (including the scenic view shot);

-

-

And the third one;

-

Always call where there's sign;

-

-

Unfortunately that sign only showed what I told the kid that talked me into hunting up there, "that the coyotes would walk down to where there wasn't any snow"...

Cont....

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2010 07:58 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
We did see some 'cat tracks, just none of my photos of them turned out (it was getting dark).

It was frickin' COLD! Most of this area won't see the sun until next May...

-

I was only able to make one stand this morning, before I literally got blown over in the wind, down on the valley floor;

-

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 02:20 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gee...........You're making me miss 'that place'......NOT!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 04:27 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like "Bigfoot" country Krusty. Lol!

It's thick, kinda like over here on the other seaboard.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 08:17 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, you are closer than I realized. I had to make a run across the line to Bellingham on Friday and thought that fresh snow down low looked good for tracking big cats, but couldn't get out. Sat. morning I planned to go but it was blowing icy rain sideways so went back to bed.

Soggy. Cold. We got an inch of waterlogged snow this morning trying to melt on the ground and freeze on anything above ground. Wet and cold at the same time. What's not to like? [Cool]

4949, yes, it is kind of thick in places. Here's a photo of a herd of 5 Roosevelt elk. I thought that four were in the photo when I took it but can only find two in the picture.
 -

[ December 19, 2010, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 08:37 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be some tough country to hunt!
Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
pitw
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3685

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 08:42 AM      Profile for pitw           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thanks Krusty for the neat pics. Sure different scenery from what I get to look at. Good looking shotgun too.
Posts: 31 | From: Alberta | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 

You're not getting it... what I showed is the wide open of the thick stuff, where we can see enough to try and hunt.

Like Leonard said, there isn't anywhere in the U.S. that's like "potlatch country" certainly not any of it back east.

Okanogan,

Are you a C'nuck? Or did you cross a County line to get to B-ham?

We didn't have any fresh snow, we were looking at snow at least three days old, and receding, though the freezing level dropped all the way to the valley floor on Thursday night - Friday morning.

We got got that cold rain, Saturday, none of it icy though, and the snow level held at about 1200' here.

It was weird, I was sitting on that last stand, with half a dozen eagles sitting in the trees above me and the river directly at my back, when they all took off amid a clatter of alarm calls... then about 30 seconds later, the wind hit like a freight train, snapping branches and making the ground around the base of the huge cottonwood I was sitting by heave up and down.
I got the hell outta there!

I was on a bend in the river, on the river side of the most modern dike, where the river trends south and west, with the wind out of the south. When I got to the top of the dike and confronted the full force of the wind, I grabbed my hat, and toppled over. [Big Grin]

I went home, and back to bed myself, guys start lining up for the "Quality Waterfowl Hunt" sites here, at about 4-5AM on weekends, so there was no use trying to go kill ducks.

Joe,

It can be tough, but it isn't impossible, many people do a lot of hunting, granted not for coyotes, successfully here.

Pitw,

I'm always glad to share. Despite the tough hunting, I am proud of the place I live.

And I recently got sort of left out of a hunting deal, because of that shotgun...
One of my classmates runs beagles, and had invited me along. Another classmate, and older guy, who's hunted with them for longer, claimed my shotgun "isn't for hunting" that with a cylinder bore it throws too big of a pattern, and makes me and it unsafe to hunt with.
I tried to explain that in modern shotguns, shooting non-tox, the wad (power piston) has more of an effect on pattern/dispersal than the choke... tighter chokes just produce more pronounced bruising of the wad... he wasn't buying it. [Roll Eyes]

Of course this was after I had hunted with them a couple times, killing about 5:1 of Ol' Chester's rabbits, and giving them to him to eat.
I won't go into why I think they left me out, but I don't think it's really about the shotgun.

Hey, does anyone know if elk snort-wheeze, like deer?
I howled my way back down off the mountain, Friday night, in an effort to figure out how low the coyotes may have moved, and had a somewhat frightening experience.
I was midway in my second howl, under a point of land a couple hundred feet high that the road bent around, no gun, about 40 yards from the truck, when I heard a loud (read LARGE lung capacity) snort-wheeze above me, followed by the shattering of underbrush and continued snort-wheezes coming straight down the hill at me... the footfalls sounded too big to be a doe, and it was a solitary animal, so I was fairly sure I was about to get my ass kicked by a blacktail buck! [Eek!]
My buddy that was in the truck hopped out when he heard all the commotion, and I think that scared the critter off, it turned and sidehilled off into the darkness. (Whew!)

Krusty  -

[ December 19, 2010, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice country Krusty! [Eek!]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 03:14 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeff...

I don't know about elk snort/wheesing but I'm thinking maybe Bigfoot has a cold! [Razz] Could it have been a bear?

IP: Logged
GC
Member # 3718

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 04:18 PM      Profile for GC   Email GC         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pic's Krusty. How is the population of coyotes in your neck of the woods? Thinly scattered over a lot of tough country? Makes it might challenging!

BTW,
You guys talking about Bellingham, Washington?

Posts: 45 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 06:51 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Okanagan,

I can only see one myself, mebbe two if that light colored patch in the lower right side is the other...nevermind I see its eye now.

Krusty,

I may be of Italian descent but I do get some things the first time around.

Anyhoo, I agree with Nikon...Bigfoot with a cold. [Razz]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2010 10:37 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Nikon,

I doubt it could have been a bear, I mean they're in the area, but by this time of year they're rarely seen outside of the den.

Every black bear I've ever heard, made a completely different snort and combined that with teeth clacking.

It's more than likely that it was a (buck) deer, since there was the unmistakable sound of hooves and the cadence of aggressive stodding leaps.
It's really the volume, in the shear amount of air and how loud the wheezing was, that had me questioning.

GC,

I don't know for sure, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the adult pair that we tracked down the valley were the only two in residence.
And they weren't there, anymore. [Wink]

Places like that doesn't make it challenging, it makes calling coyotes ridiculous.

I was calling for bobcats, as far as I was concerned.
Although, in country like that I've learned to back myself up against something big enough that a mountain lion would have to go around it.

Yup, Bellingham, it's just about 20 miles up the road from me.

Krusty  -

--------------------

George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2010 05:00 AM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
I fly into Bellingham Washington couple times a year .
Havent called that area yet, just drive strait to Sumas Washington to cross over to go call in BC.

Sumas area allways looked like it Would be A nice calling area,
Hope i will be back up next year

[ December 20, 2010, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2010 06:06 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like some hellacious terrain. Cool pics...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2010 08:35 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
George, there are lots of coyotes on the Sumas Prarie, but that is all private farm land. Lots of bobcats and some cougars in the public land hills and mountains nearby, but road acess due to locked gates and deep snow make the lions hard to hunt.

This country tends to have either no snow for tracking, or WAY too much snow to drive in. It is normal to drive up a logging road without a trace of snow, and run into heavy snow that goes from zero to 2 feet deep within 50 yards. No powder snow. It is rain below the freezing level, and so much snow above that line it is a killer to walk in.

Krusty, I am a duely, presently in BC, and have lived about half of my life on each side of the line.

And yes, I agree: it ain't the shotgun. [Wink]

FWIW, an added photo taken last week on my last day to hunt blacktails. Only took one pic because the heavy constant rain got the camera so wet. I drove a mile past the bridge on this logging road and sidehilled up and around the mountain back into the basin where the stream in the photo comes from. Constant rain, pretty heavy. That's ideal hunting weather for REAL blacktails, raindeer, not the pseudo California runt mule deer version. [Cool]

Stillhunted up on 8 blacktails I could have shot, not an antler on any of them.

-

[ December 20, 2010, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2011 01:30 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
That 2 track or access road looked like the best place to call from. Lookin at the terrain, the coyotes probably prefer the roads too.
Kinda makes what I hunt look like a prairie [Smile]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2011 01:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't go there. There is no redeeming value. You know when you are driving down the Interstate and up ahead there is an offramp? It may even have a sign claiming there is gas or food available.

Well, don't believe it. You get off the freeway and there is nothing but jungle. You cannot guess which way to civilization, and the other direction, you could drive for hours and not see a building.

Not kidding, stay the hell out. Coastal Washington, It pretty much sucks.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2011 04:12 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, Leonard. I believe it.
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2011 05:03 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, Leonard. I believe it.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2011 12:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard you the first time.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2011 04:05 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee speaks the truth. Western Washington is a part of Hell too wet to catch on fire. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2011 08:10 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Haha! I logged off directly after I posted that. [Confused]
Hmmm. I'll play dumb and wonder how I double tapped. The ghost in the machine did it.

In MI all the roads are marked clearly, you know exactly where you are headed at all times but no matter where you are going you have this nagging feeling that you should hit I-75 south and never look back.

Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 10 posted January 03, 2011 08:41 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
"Western Washington is a part of Hell too wet to catch on fire."

LOL! ! That's one I never heard before. Hilarious comment!

The wet side has sort of grown on me and I kind of like it in some ways, at times... maybe...

[ January 03, 2011, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Okanagan ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, you better make an appointment with the depression councilors before you succumb to Washington State Malady, or road rage. They didn't invent it, but when they saw it on the news from down in SoCal, they embraced the concept and doubled down.

SUNSHINE THERAPY may control it, but nothing short of moving south, east or even west a couple hundred miles, cures it. Then, there is the long two week summers, when it's glorious; if you can hold out? The Rhododendrons are spectacular, if you are into flowers? And, Japanese maples are an expensive fad, <shrug>

Just get the hell out, better New Jack City, Oakland, Newark, anywhere else; but go!

I have spoken. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters