The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » My deep thought for the day... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My deep thought for the day...
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 07:51 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
So here's my deep thought for the day...or as deep as my thoughts are capable of going anyway. [Wink]

Scientist have proven that domestic dogs can recognize the sound of their owner's vehicle from 2 miles away or more. I have seen this with my own dogs, as many of you probably have as well with yours. So with that thought, I'm starting to wonder if coyotes actually recognize the sound of our vehicles if we frequent the same hunting areas? I call in and kill a lot of coyotes but there are those coyotes that I just can't seem to trick into cooperating. I switch up sounds, watch the wind, I try to be steathly as possible. About the only weak link and consistant thing I do is drive the same vehicle each time I go out. Heck, I even recognize the sound of my truck coming up the street from quite a distance (not that it's noisy, but it has it's own sound, as do the cars I drive.) I figure if I can recognize it why shouldn't a coyote be able to do the same? Anyway, I may experienment a little this winter by letting friends drive occassionally and see if it makes a difference. If not, then I will just concede to what I've thought all along...some coyotes are just plain more crafty than I am.

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 08:18 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Good question.

My cousin and his dad used to drive his section nearly every morning and shoot coyotes before work. They eventually wised up to their trucks and they wouldn't see a thing. I'd bring my truck over and all of a sudden they'd be everywhere.

Need to add, we wouldn't shoot from the road but I could slow down and he'd jump out, climb under the fence and pop one all while I was driving on with the coyote watching my truck.

Yes I think they recognize trucks and such.

[ December 07, 2010, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 09:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's a deep thought. Coyotes are smart and have a large dose of self-preservation. Now, do they associate and link a sequence such as a particular passing vehicle with suspicious distress sounds? I'm a little doubtful. That really requires a level of reasoning that humans are noted for, and animals, other than Pavlov's dogs are usually weaker...at. I'm not convinced, but with coyotes, underestimating them makes a fool out of many hunters.

Now, with dogs, the boss comes home every day, week after week, month after month and eventually, Fifi recognizes the sound of his vehicle. Okay. Maybe some are faster learners, maybe some aren't?

But, if you are pulling up to the same stand location, 'o dark thirty every Saturday morning; you need to mix up your game a little bit. (just kidding, it's an interesting question)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cayotaytalker
DOES NOT TEACH/SUSPECTED OKIE
Member # 1954

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 09:33 AM      Profile for Cayotaytalker   Email Cayotaytalker         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the kind of shit that makes my ears purk up.Tom64,I like your reply. So do our yard dogs and do coyotes learn from repetition until something becomes a learned behavior? Or do our trucks,quads,our voices,handcalls,and even our e-callers have a distinct sound signature that coyotes oick up on? Vegas wants to know!
Plus lets not for get what went down on Dec,7th 1941.
For now I have to peal out of here on beer run!

--------------------
Now thats prime coyote country!

Posts: 403 | From: LasVegas Nevada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A day that will live in infamy. Yes, December 7, 1941. I was at the Arizona Memorial, on December 7th, one morning at the exact time, a few years ago. Very impressive ceremony.

The interesting thing, for me was, Oahu is loaded with Japanese tourists, always, but I didn't see a single one, that morning. I think they decided to sleep in?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 10:18 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I do think there is something to the "sound signature" idea or maybe even the Pavlov theory. I'd be willing to bet that there are a whole heap of coyotes out there that completely recognize the Lightening Jack sound by FP and run the opposite direction the second they hear it. I live it pretty open country and get to watch coyotes reaction to sounds fairly regularly. I can tell you this much a jack rabbit distress will elicit one of three reactions. One, they come right in, two, they bolt the other way like their tail is on fire, or three, they completely ignore it and go back to sleep or mousing.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's all the possibilities I can think of? Occasionally, they hump up and take a dump before lighting out for parts unknown.

I have seen the crummiest amateur work a hand call and call in a coyote.

Run the other way? Sounds like western Kansas?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 12:30 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually had an interesting experience last year. I started off by howling. I got a local coyote that I'm very familiar with (he has a very distinctive voice) all worked up. He and his mate were really giving me their best rendition of "Leave or Die". So once I had them really going, I switched to pup in distress sounds thinking it would be a sure deal. Not so, they shot out of there like a rocket. First time I've ever seen a dominate pair run away from that sound. He's a big male too, I wouldn't think anything would scare him, but something about that sound sure sent him and the misses on their way. Made me wonder how many times that had happened with other coyotes when I couldn't see them???
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 12:38 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why coyotes couldn't learn the sound of a truck the same way pet dogs do (the last two dogs I've owned have both displayed this, to the point the family always knows when I'll be home in a few minutes). I don't often call the same stand twice in one year though, so coyotes won't be learning mine.

I do think that how loud your vehicle is, or maybe just the kind of sound it makes can impact your success whether the coyotes have heard it before or not. My calling partner used to drive an early '90s Powersmoke at work. His boss gave us the green light to take the work truck hunting, AND, use the company gas card to fuel it. Free use of a truck and free fuel! You KNOW we used the crap out of that truck to go hunting there for a couple of years. But, we both became convinced that our calling success was noticeably less on average when we drove that truck. It clattered and peenked so loud, and was just plain so irritating to listen to, we really think that it was putting coyotes on alert. Maybe we were wrong, but we believed it enough that we ended up turning down free use of a truck and free fuel to drive our own rigs on our own dime for calling trips.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 12:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility; Are you trying to drive in the stealth mode or just driving normally?? I'm thinking that a coyote might be a little less skittish of the rancher's wife driving to town straight and steady, than a truck trying to be quiet by going slow and stopping on a gravel road early in the morning when all is still & sound really carrys. The perception is that one is not a threat and the other sounds sneaky........ergo; It's a source of danger.

As always, YMMV.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clank
Member # 3687

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Clank           Edit/Delete Post 
Good question.

Being that i help with the farming. Coyotes seem to be a magnet to tractors and combines mainly due to the fact that they know small game will be stirred up in the feild. I think they due get use to the sound of certan trucks and equipment at least in my area.

Posts: 45 | From: IL | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 10:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave. I see you attributed your sig line...finally. I innocently inquire, what prompted that? Okay, I think I know. I think it's the right thing to do, since I (maybe others) have pondered it for quite a while.

If we accept that coyotes along a twenty-five mile stretch of two track recognize a suspicious vehicle driving by, all stealthy like; then what's next? Do we need to wear socks over our boots and walk backwards? And, downwind? That oughta fool 'em!

Goodhunting. LB

I know one thing they get conditioned to. Utah multi spotlighters in NV.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 10:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a older guy I hunt with that drives the same roads almost everyday at the same time. I usually give him a call around 10:00 to see if he has spotted any coyotes out and about and most times its no. I usually work the area south of town then work my way back to the area he has driven and will spot a coyote laying 100 yds off the road some times a little farther. I'd give him a call and let him know I have one or more spotted and he would ask where. For example I would say just north of the Johnson farm, his reply would be I just drove by there a hour ago and even stopped to glass behind a vacant grove and saw nothing. This went on most of the season, LOL. He could'nt figure out what was going on. He brought it up one day and I told him he had to get out a little earlier, so he started his route as soon as it was light.
AAAh now he see's them. Later on when he would get into a rutt again then I would tell him to change the direction of how he drives his route
, It made a difference!

A few years ago I had some coyotes that bedded close to where the gate was for going into a pasture in a area out west.. I went into the pasture 3-4 times with someone else to try calling them, just got barks and howls or nothing. I noticed everytime I went by this pasture around 10:00 the rancher would come out and go into the pasture to feed the cows so one mourning I followed him in then stop short and parked behind a hill and got out and made a stand on the other side. Bingo! game on..
So to sum it all up just change the time of day you go into a calling area, change vehicles if possable or change the way you go into a calling area...

Edit to add: Moveing into a calling area shouldbe like youre stands when you mix it up some like a howl first then rabbit distress, rabbit distress and then howl, or different sounds. Just mix it up....

[ December 07, 2010, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 6 posted December 07, 2010 11:04 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I always rotate my tires between stands... even painted my truck once, seemed to help! [Big Grin] [Razz]
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2010 11:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, that's funny, niko! I didn't know you had a sense of humor.

Good hunting. LB

PS, now, if you want a real tip, spray your rig with WD40 before driving a dusty road. Best camo job money can buy.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Alaskan Yoter
Member # 169

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2010 01:44 AM      Profile for Alaskan Yoter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ya, I always rotate my tires between stands... even painted my truck once, seemed to help!
[Big Grin]
Posts: 235 | From: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2010 05:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
1st time hunting out west, I was flabbergasted at how you guys hunt. Ditch the rig, hop over a rise & start calling! (more or less). I'm thinkin' "WOW, this is some kinda treat!!!"
Back here, I'll friggin' walk my azz off in stealth mode to make a stand. Sure is nice keepin' the strolls to a couple hundred yards, or less...

But even now, I have a hard time believing that coyotes aren't spooked by a vehicles bumping down a 2 track. And I still comment on that every trip out of state. Just my 'back east' way of thinkin', I guess...

I do recall hunting a big valley in Idaho last year where the coyotes were savvy to the truck. Heck, soon as we pulled in to make stand #1, they were crankin' off at us! Each stand was a blank, and every time we moved, a new group would be threat barkin' at us, soon as the truck rolled to a stop.
Even going 2 miles between stands didn't seem to matter. The air was so cold & still that the sound really travelled down that valley. Apparently, even the quiet littled 4cyl Toyota was making enough racket to gum us up! We were breaking ice & crunching snow down that 2 track also, I'm sure that didn't help none...
But that day in January, it sure seemed as though every coyote in that valley was schooled out & smartened up to vehicles. Least in that particular they were...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2010 08:47 PM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, we just park the truck behind a tree and set the ladder up on the other side of the tree... [Cool]
Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2010 11:15 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is "out west" so far east of me?

When I was in Virginia this last summer, I thought "what an awesome place to hunt coyotes, the forest is so wide open, and they got all these fields."

When you're ready for some really tough hunting, c'mon out way west. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2010 11:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, K. You know that coastal Pacific Northwest is an entirely different ecosystem. Once you cross the Cascades, now you are in classic western type terrain.

The suicide capital of the United States is right there where you live, where it can rain 180 days in a row and where the inversion layer dictates no burn days, yet they laughingly call it; "GOD'S COUNTRY". Let's be real. Face it, nowhere else has ever heard of Sunshine Therapy as theatment for depression. You cannot include anywhere in Potlatch Country to be as within the United States, let alone, part of "The West". The Classic West.

Then, we could talk about their lame politics. Frankly, the whole place is best avoided.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 07:12 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Washington state is actually two areas; (1) Western Wash. a.k.a. 'The Wet Side'. and (2) East of the Cascades, a.k.a. 'Western Idaho'.

Summers are nice in Olympia though. It only lasts 9 days, but it's nice. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother is in Olympia, koko. He says summer is TWO WEEKS, in July. I have been there then and I have been there other times, and thus far, I have no reason to doubt what he says, including sunshine therapy and no burn days and 180 days of rain and suicide and it's companion....ROAD RAGE! It is the center of the ROAD RAGE UNIVERSE, after they learned of it in California. Be safe, never drive up there with California plates! Oregon, too! They have some real assholes in the Pacific Northwest.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 02:01 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there you go, El Bee;
When I got there, they went 5 days in July without rain one time. They called it the drought of '95 and rationed water. When I left, summer was about 9 days long and now you inform me that it's up to two weeks.

If this isn't proof of GLOBAL WARMING, I don't know what is.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gulp! I never thought of it that way, but you're right! Okay, with that much evidence, plus Al's impressive power point, I guess I've been wrong, all along?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2010 03:52 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty I had an old college friend who resides in your state. I considered going out there for a visit, and maybe doing some predator hunting while I was out there.

It seems he and I don't see eye to eye anymore on certain subjects. There went my hunt.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters