The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » cat cages (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: cat cages
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted May 25, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Some time ago, a couple of people were interested in how Mercer makes his traps so that they nest for travel and to save space. They telescope together as you can see in the pic.

Good hunting. LB

-

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2010 08:03 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow nice cages and nice catch them are some pretty cats. Here kitty kitty.

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 04:52 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few cages by John Schroeder out of Nebraska that work pretty well. Just so happened that I had a friend in Nebraska who was able to deliver. I would like to get a few of Mercer's cages someday.

Hey Leonard. This post reminds me of a few other cage trapping threads going right now on the trapping forums. Looks like your buddy Hyperwrx could be positioning for a new PROSTAFF position in the cage trapping arena. LOL
Trapperman cages
CRU cages

-edit to fix links

[ May 26, 2010, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: Joel Hughes ]

Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy, Fruit Loops!

Dang, that little weasel sure gets around, don't he? He's another Byron South, shameless self promoter.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 07:53 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Just stopped in and found LB's been posting some pics for me. Thanks leonard! The cages are getting fairly popular.
That hyperwrx is pretty active lately on the trapping sites. Kinda came out of nowhere. Not sure how much he knows about cage trapping. Perhaps he is just getting started? I think calling/hunting is his thing.
Couple more pics. ML

-

-

[ June 21, 2010, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 08:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Fruit Loops (the ladder king) is just getting started, but he thinks he knows it all. It's so obvious that he wants to be famous, which causes me to lose all respect for him.... (wannabe) not that I ever had any, to begin with. That crap he pulled on Monster really took the cake. Since he admitted that he was behind that shit, he had better stay out of my way.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 09:19 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Mercer, I had some interest in cage traps for awhile. I thought it would allow me to get around our 24hr check. Unfortunatly it won't, so I'll probably just stick with my legholds. The one up side for cages here for me would be the releasing of females. Cage trapped females would have relativly no chance of paw damage. So, my question is, is there any way I can see how yours is built(especially trigger mechanism). I have been told by several people that your system is ideal. Also, the traps appear to be stainless. Is this the case, or is it just the appearance in the pic.

Maintain, Geordie

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 11:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie, the one's I saw weren't stainless, unless he has changed? Before I only saw three that nested together, now I see four. I suppose most everybody would want to see that trigger mechanism.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 06:07 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you from Geordie? If I could use legholds again I would still run some cages. Cages put fur in the truck you would not otherwise catch. Opens up stuff that you can't / shouldn't foothold. Keeps you off the front page of the paper (ie catching scruffy the family mutt)
The cages are black steel and require painting. The sun was shining hard on those in the pic and they just got all sanded up ready to ship.
I don't post too many pics of the trigger mech. It is unique and will be copied soon enough.
Turning cats loose from cages. Shoot, I am an expert. Let me try and load up a little clip to photobucket and I will prove it.
ML

furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 06:16 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, try this.

http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l427/furhvstr/?action=view¤t=trainedprofessional.flv

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 06:36 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work. Got my smile in for the day.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
RagnCajn
ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 07:56 AM      Profile for RagnCajn   Email RagnCajn         Edit/Delete Post 
More than a smile from me. That was funny.
Posts: 362 | From: Shreveport LA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 4 posted June 22, 2010 09:44 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!

That was one fiesty kitty! [Big Grin]

I'm still smilin! Very good information and a new respect for what you do!

Nikonut [Wink]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Mercer, better perfect your technique before cage trapping lions.

That was funny. I kept thinking while you were out of sight, it would be funny if you crawled up to the camera and a scratched hand reached up and turned it off. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 12:15 PM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
That was hilarious! I thouroughly enjoyed that Mercer. The "oh shit" was classic!
Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Love it!!!............and the fact that some people can still laugh at themselves when things go poo-poo. I suspect that there are a few experts out there who would have destroyed that footage and the camera that recorded it just to protect their image. [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 01:04 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have a candidate for video of the year!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 01:44 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy to provide some laughs at my expense.

The young ones are often harder to turn loose than the older ones.

ML

[ June 22, 2010, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Self deprecation is good for the soul. LOL That one is classic.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 02:56 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! That was funny. Thanks Mercer.
I understand your wanting to keep your trigger set up to yourself. I'll just wait till Hyper publishes it on the www as his own invention. LOL.
I have not ruled out cages, but still having legholds available to me is kind of a motivation killer. I do see your 'upside' though. I still may build a few in the shop this year...who knows. Just need to get the trigger mechanism figured out...LOL.
Glad to know that was mild steel, and not stainless. The cost was going to keep my from any further concideration of cages. Oh, and by the way, my water tower is in Oklahoma. We have lots of cats, just piss poor quality in comparison to yours.

Maintain, Geordie

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 03:39 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Most triggers are pretty basic. The release rod can run down the center on top or off to one side and catch the corner of the door.

Here's a link to one type,;;http://www.wildlife-traps.com/pop-outs/51690.htm

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 03:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He ***** a set of three for $270. Then, if not neutered, they can have babies.

Good hunting. LB

PS shucks, make it an even $300, to cover my commission.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie,
Mercer has the best Cage/trigger on the market at the present time. I have his cages and they work.
He is making me a couple dozen more for this fall too!

Mercer,
Did you get my e-mail back? Just curious. How'd you do at the Western?
Steve

[ June 22, 2010, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Steve Craig ]

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 05:19 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I replied steve. I will check.
Got too busy there at the end. Ended up staying home. My darn kids are still in school and wasn't going to go without them.

That's one reason I don't sell singles leonard. Make em pay if they are going to copy them.

Your'e correct TA. Linkage can be simple. They get a little tougher when you want adjustable pan tension.

ML

[ June 22, 2010, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: furhvstr ]

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2010 05:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your'e correct TA. Linkage can be simple. They get a little tougher when you want adjustable pan tension.

I know what you mean. I used to use springs on the trigger rod but found out for coon it was'nt needed so I stopped useing them and I also notched out some of the rods to work simular to a foot-hold traps..
You do make some nice looking traps though. [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters