The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Bear Fever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bear Fever
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 08:36 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Bear season opens this week in Montana. It will feel good to be out toting a little bigger rifle and looking for critters a lot bigger than coyotes. Still love coyote hunting, but a little change now and then is a good thing. Besides they are just a bit more intimidating than most predators hunted in the lower 48. [Smile]

Some photos to get the bear hunting spirit alive and kicking inside again.

Would hate to get bit by this one.
 -

Add a little color.
 -

Big Suck'a
 -

My very firstest bear and the one that started the whole obsession.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 10:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!!!.......Damned Nice!!!!

Now, would you care to give us some details or would you rather that I make something up for you???? [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never killed a bear. I ate bear stew for the first time a couple years ago when Steve Craig brought it to the campout a couple years ago and I thought it was quite tasty, a cross between veal and beef, sorta? Do you butcher and consume most of it?

Also, which of those pics is you, besides the last one?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31478 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 11:59 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
We usually bring them back alive and fatten them up on little children before we kill them. [Razz]

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/House/bear.jpg[/IMG]]  -

[ April 12, 2010, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 12:32 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, Troy! Black Bear is on my bucket list!

By the way--have you applied your skills to any black bear pictures??

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 12:36 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard they are all of me, just the last one is very old. I think that was back in '95 or 96. All the others are from year 2000 or newer. I don't care to eat them as they are too greasy for my tastes. Some guys like them so I give the meat away when hunting in states or provinces that require keeping the meat.

Kokopelli
The first and third bear were shot on spot and stalk hunt in Alaska. My partner shot the one in the top photo and I killed all the other bears. Both of the Alaskan black bears made the B+C awards minimum. Not that it is realy important but it does give a guy an idea of just how big those suckers were. The colored phased bear and black at the bottom were both killed in Saskatchewan. The bottom bear only missed B+C by a 1/4" but was my heaviest bear. We weighed him on a scale. His spring weight was 400 lbs right on the money. For those that don't know, that's pretty darned good for a spring weight.

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice bears Troy and it sounds like some great bear adventures. Now I understand the "ursus 21" handle.

I'm also a spring bear hunting fan, but haven't killed one in several years now. I used to make a real effort to try getting some kind of a bear every spring. Anymore, I enjoy getting out, doing some glassing, and if the right one comes along well maybe then I'll shoot. Either way it's a good time.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy awesome bears, big ole bucketheads, nice pics!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 08:43 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some real bruisers, nice work. I've seen lots of bears here in the interior, but nothing like the one's you've harvested there. Very impressive.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Possumal
HONORARY CALLS FORUM MODERATOR edit: AND TOKEN LIBERAL
Member # 823

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2010 05:35 AM      Profile for Possumal   Author's Homepage   Email Possumal         Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures! Do you call them any? Just wondering about how you'd set up if using mouth calls and by yourself.

--------------------
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Posts: 781 | From: Nicholasville, Ky. | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2010 06:21 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger yes as a matter of fact I've drawn and painted a number of bears. All my prints and originals are sold out except for this double print right here.
 -

Lonny as far as killing bears goes it sounds like you and I are about at the same place. Unless it's really big, colored (I've only killed one colored bear) or something is super unique about it they get a pass. I've passed up over 30 bears the last 3 years.

Possumal, I have tried calling bears but I haven't had any luck yet. When I have done it I've either had a partner to watch behind us or I've sat against a large tree, rock, or base of a cliff. I'd love to call one in, but I would really rather see it before it see's me. [Big Grin]

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2010 07:54 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy,
Outstanding work! Your coyote print is going to go in my new reloading room in our new home when we get it finished!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 10:19 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ursus, I love your artwork, absolutley beautiful.
And I cannot wait till bear season here.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 12:28 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Appreciate the kind words Booger and Lone Wolf. Here's another bear drawing for ya, just for fun.
 -

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 12:53 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, Troy, over the top!

Question for you--when you sent my coyote print, you enclosed a letter with a picture in the background you did of a non-typical mule deer--that was awesome as well...happen to have a print of that?

--------------------

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 02:03 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger you must mean this one:
 -

Looks kind'a neat hand colored as well.
 -

I do happen to have a few of these available as a print if you are interested?

[ April 15, 2010, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 02:36 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that's it!

Go to my profile and shoot me an email and let me know how much!

--------------------

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2010 08:25 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger, thanks man. Email has been sent. [Smile]
Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2010 09:09 AM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, between you and HuntnCarve with is howlers there is some serious artistic talent on this board...those are awesome.
Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters