The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Coyote Skinning demonstration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coyote Skinning demonstration
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
After seenig enough coyotes skinned on the internet from a tailgate to a picnic table , we thought a good video was in order.Most everyone on this forum already knows how to do this but it makes a good place to send those who dont.
Paul
http://vimeo.com/9619684

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 05:13 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Paul for posting. I've occasionally ripped the tail bone away from the carcass. I've always thought it was because I was accidentally cutting too deep when cutting around the vent. I've always cut a circle around around it. It almost always works fine but sometimes I'll pull with the tail stripper and the tail bone starts that ripping sound and I get really angry. I think I'll just have to go shoot a late coyote this week and try the triangle cut thing-a-ma-whooper! [Smile]

[ February 21, 2010, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 07:49 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but what about them backstraps???? [Big Grin]

Seriously, That was a pretty good video.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stiknstringbow
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3571

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 12:33 AM      Profile for Stiknstringbow           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!, having only skinned 1 bobcat and 2 coyotes,(not counting rabbits, deer, and Elk) that was very informative!
I always made the "I" shaped cut,

--------------------
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs

Posts: 35 | From: Chehalis | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
Unofficial AGENT PROVOCATEUR
Member # 3471

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Briguy           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Vent"...LMAO

Thanks for posting Paul, that was some fine cinematography there.

Posts: 94 | From: El Desierto | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 09:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to toss in another $.03 worth (adjusted for inflation) of opinion.

The video was well done & a fine learning tool. BUT, the only way to learn to skin is by skinning. Practice what the video shows on these low dollar coyotes that 'aren't worth skinning'. If you make a few mistakes..........BFD. While you're at it, practice sewing damage. You'd be suprised at what can be repaired with a litle know-how. And if it doesn't come out 'right'; again BFD. You've made mistakes on a low dollar fur. Fleshing & stretching are a couple of more things best practiced on low dollar fur. The best time to get skillful at this stuff is before you have a high grade 'cat laying in front of you.

End of rant [Smile]

Oh, and support your state trapping assn.

Really, end of rant [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The Vent"...LMAO
That was funny... LMVO

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 06:33 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Kokorant

The next in the series will be on stretching and fleshing. Maybe a little sewing demo would be good as well. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 07:40 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, good deal!!!!
I wish that you guys had been at the ATA fur sale with your camera. There was a bobcat offered that I swear looked like it had been stretched on a large fry pan. The body was round & the head and legs all looked about the same; long and thin.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters