The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Enough Scope? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Enough Scope?
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 04:14 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at getting a scope for my new rifle.I have always liked a variable scope for calling with a 4x12 being the lowest end to a 6x18 the high.But I see alot of you guys like the 3.5x10(Leonard,Q,now Cal,from your recent article in PX,which I enjoyed by the way.)And alot of you others guys too.Is it really enough scope for wide open areas where shots can be from 50-400 yards.I'm looking at Swarovski,Zeiss,and Leupold.Any advice would be appreciated.

Good Hunting Chad

[ January 20, 2009, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 04:21 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
When i used to snipe fox i always liked the Luppy 6.5-20 power. I still have a few of them but i use 4-14x or fixed 10x scopes now with the 30mm tube. When i have to deal with running shots i prefer the lower power, makes it easey to pick-up target faster.. 10x seems to be a happy med. for me..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5062 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a 3.5X10 Leupold at night for years, and never felt handicapped. I still have one on my big game rifle. I think it's a solid choice for Nevada type hunting, with the 4.5X14 another good one. You didn't say night hunting but I assume you will be doing some? My personal opinion is that twelve power is all you want for night hunting and it is not needed most of the time, maybe for those 400 yarders you mention? I just do not believe that the higher magnifications allow enough light to really see your target. I would also caution against the theory that you can get a 6.5X20 and keep it at 10X. I don't think it works that way, a twenty power scope doesn't allow enough light to pass through and all you will see are eyes.

For Nevada daylights, I still think ten power is enough for most situations and when it isn't, have another rifle set up for long range with a little bigger scope.

But, I'm a little confused? I remember a few years ago that Cal said he used a 6X18 scope and that surprised me a little bit. Now, he says 3.5X10?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
The question becomes, enough scope for what purpose? I admit, Im totally ignorant concerning night hunting,and the scope type needed for the task, only done it once as an adult,and once when I was 15 or so, just not my cup of tea.
I can't imagine taking many pokes at 400 yard coyotes in the daytime, much less a night time situation, thats a hell of a long way out there.Ive probably shot at two coyotes past the 400 yard mark in my life, with absolutely no reasonable expectation of hitting it, but I did.
I use nothing but 1.5X6 heavy duplex for my predator hunting, and it's "enough" scope for me.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 05:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I buy my little cabin down your way, I will get me a 1.5X6 heavy duplex!

edit: is that homestead next door to JH still for sale?

[ January 20, 2009, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You got a deal Leonard!, but we will have to get you a BB gun to put it on.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 05:24 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Yea, in the article Cal said he has been using a Nightforce 2.5x10 compact.Maybe for his AR?

[ January 20, 2009, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 05:37 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
currently I am using a Burris 4.5x14 on acouple of my calling rigs,which I like alot.I usually have it on 8 or 10 power for open sage brush country where most shots are atleast 100 yrds.I agree Vic most of my shots are 50-200 yards,I guess I'm just so used to having the bigger scopes I'm afraid of not having enough for longer shots(250-300+).But I might try the 3-10 scopes.I'm kind of wanting a higher end scope for this calling rig.Why?Like Wiley said JUST BECAUSE....LOL

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 05:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not convinced on Nightforce. Might be great, but they seem way too heavy and way to expensive. I don't mind paying top dollar for top gear, but I have not seen a Nightforce I'd pay what they are asking. A 2.5X10 is a really sensible choice though. Both my calling rifles have 2.5X8 Leupolds on them. I just don't feel daylights requires $1600 optics.

Goos hunting. LB

edit: a deal we have, Vic. Whenever it happens, it'll be a package deal.

edit: I'm not at all impressed with "compact" scopes. Wonder what he thinks if it, compared to first class glass?

[ January 20, 2009, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 06:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I saw a good deal on a Leupold Vari-x 3 4.5x 14-40mm without The adjustable objective for four and a quarter.My have to get it.

Good Hunting Chad

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 06:32 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Like most of you I have several guns and several scopes. But the Nightforce is on my AR and regardless of what you think about compacts or Nightforce, for the money spent it was well worth it in my opinion. It is a nice sized, spectacularly clear scope. It is a 30 mm. I would put it up against any VX3 any day or night. I have had a couple Swarovskis and this is every bit as good of glass. I will agree about most compacts being pretty poor. I had both a Burris and a Luepold compact and I got rid of both. But I also have several higher power scopes, mostly Burris. Trust me LB, You would like this particular Nightforce. I also agree that most of thier scopes are simply too big for hunting applications, but this one isn't.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 07:50 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad in my opinion, the 4.5-14 without the adjustable objective is worthless. I had one for a short time and it just never did seem right.

Anything above 10x needs the AO for me.

A fellow named Brad Arnett from MI has a 4.5-14 with the AO and turrets o the OK board FS at $415.

[ January 20, 2009, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 08:21 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom64.. that's good to know.I'm leaning toward the Zeiss Conquest 3.5 x 10 44mm.Seems like a great scope for the cost(around $600.00)We'll see.

Leonard,

99% of my calling with this rig will be Day calling.

Good Hunting Chad

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my rifles sport 4x12s. However, on the rifle I use most for calling, I have a 2.5x10. Vic kinda sold me on them for calling. Just about right for most things.

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 09:09 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I use a leupold 3x9x50 on my 22-250 and a Weaver 3x9x50 on my 223 WSSM.

I like the 50 mm objectives for night hunting, seems to work better for them old eyes. I see no reason for much more power then a 3x9 for day or night hunting predators.

I also see no reason to pay a $1000 or more for a damn scope when it comes to predator hunting but that's just me and my old way of thinking I guess lol.

Believe it or not the best scope I ever used for night hunting was a 3x9x56mm Bushnell Banner, they stopped making them years ago, wish I could get my hands on one now.

[ January 20, 2009, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to each his own, but I don't agree with the concept that a scope used on a daylight calling rifle is worthless without an ajdustable objective., discounting such as 4.5X14, for the moment. I have three perfectly adequate daytime rigs with scopes that lack this feature. Perhaps when you get into extended applications and higher magnification and target/squirrel shooting etc. but for the vast majority of situations, you can easily get by without A.O.

Good hunting. LB

[ January 20, 2009, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 09:29 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad you may want to look at this scope

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2745712/page/2/gonew/1#UNREAD

Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2009 09:35 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jeremy that's just what i'm looking for.
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2009 01:19 AM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
My two specific calling rifles both have the VX-III 4.5-14 X 50mm long range scopes on them.For shooting at the ranges you mentioned, you would be much better off with the additional power the 14 offers over just a 10 power.
I always keep my power setting at 4.5 when starting a stand for the typical called in shots.But when the need for shots between 200-300+ yards arises,I simply turn the knob all the way over and shoot.Don't have much use for the powers in between,it's either 4.5 or 14.I keep the AO focused for 275-300 yards at 14 power.
To shoulder and acquire your target at full magnification can be difficult and very frustrating if you don't perfect it by practicing till it's a reflex.Also,in the heat of the moment,when only seconds count to make that long shot,are you going to remember to crank the power up,that too needs to be a reflex.....You might want to make a comparison at a store.

Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2009 05:37 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I have a 1.5-5, a 2.5-8 and 2 3.5-10's, none of them have AO's. My point was the Leupold 4.5-14 that was brought out a couple of years ago without the AO is worthless to me and quite a few others who have tried it. Unless all your shots are at 150 yards which is where it's focused in at.

The AO adds weight and objective size which for my light weight rigs doesn't fit. Probably why I stop at 10 power for anything.

My cuzz is just the opposite, he has 5 or 6, 6.5-20's and is not handicapped at all on close range running shots but he is done about 10 minutes before I am on evening stands. Not enough light transmission, you are correct about that.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2009 07:47 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I see no need for anything more than a 3x-9x40mm scope of good quality for a calling rifle. A straight 4x scope wouldn't make me feel under scoped either for that matter. It seems to me that the eye relief is less critical on low power setting of a variable power scope, which is main reason that I went to the 3x-9x40mm Nikon Monarch. When I bring the rifle to my shoulder I want the cross hairs to be right there every time. My Remington CDL in .243 has a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14 mounted on it right now, but I haven't used that rig enough to comment on how good it works yet. I can't get over my long habit of grabbing the Mauser .257 A.I. with the 3x-9x Nikon Monarch when I go after coyotes. That rig is perfect. Can't get any better than that. I wouldn't want to shoot a bobcat with it though. [Wink]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2009 08:56 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
3.5X10X50's on the three rigs I carry calling. I like them.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good choice, Kelly, although I'm decidedly lukewarm on big objectives for a daylight rig.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2009 10:10 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
I run a 3.5 x 10 40mm vx3 on my Swift...nice scope even though I hardly ever move it from 5-6X. I run a 3x9 vx2 on both my .204 and 17 Rem., same as above...usually set on about 5x

I'm a big fan of fixed power scopes as well...they don't seem to get much love on most of the sites I read but a good quality fixed power scope is usually real bright and clear. One of my favorites is a 6x42mm M8 with heavy duplex I run on my little Sako.

-

[ January 21, 2009, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: tawnoper ]

Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2009 01:06 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
What Tawnoper said... Most of my rigs wear 4.5x14's, mainly because most of them see double duty plinking rock chucks in the summer and coyotes in the winter. For just a calling rifle, I like a lower power variable or fixed power scope. But all the variables are always set at 5x all the time when coyote hunting, and I don't bother cranking them up for longer shots - 5x is plenty for a 400 yard coyote.

And... again, what Tawnoper said... I've got a couple of those M8 6x42's and they are some of my favorite scopes.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters