The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » A lesson relearned....PICS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A lesson relearned....PICS
BigMo
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1125

Icon 14 posted February 11, 2008 07:58 AM      Profile for BigMo   Email BigMo         Edit/Delete Post 
mouth calling in cedars. About 20+ years ago I had been calling with a friend ( 220 Swift ) one morning when our
D=cell powered Johnny Stewart casette caller would go no more. The next stand I used my mouth calls, only about 10 minutes into it when a nice bobcat walked under the cedar with Terry. To his surprize you can shoot a bobcat with out aiming if they are close enough. [Wink] Thats the orignal lesson ......
This weekend I was set up on a tapering cedar row that led out into a hay field. I had backed into a cedar a bit and was the closest to the creek with my partner about 10 more yards to my right further from the creek up the row. We were expecting coyotes to come up out of the creek and down the edge of it torward the cedar row and end up some place out infront of us with easy shots. After 15 minutes of Jack Rabbit in my J.S. 512 I used my remote to turn it off and switched over to my Stone Coyote Cripple Cottontail and began to work it in my usual fashion. I was stitting on my stool and still facing the hay field without ever considering what was about to happen. After about 5 minutes or so I just had this feeling ......I needed to turn my head....something was staring at me. I usually dont turn my head much as it tends to get me busted. I looked to my left and a "close encounter" of the Bobcat kind. The female had done exactly what you should expect a bobcat to do. She used the cover and came straight to the sound......in my mouth! She was a whopping 3 yards to my side. [Eek!] I almost jumped out of my skin!
She immediatly turned to leave and was out of veiw in a fraction of a second. I did not know if I could see her back under the cedars with all the brush or not but I got off my stool and laid flat ( Flat is a relative term to a fatman ) on my belly looking for her under the trees. All of a sudden I could see the cat through a small spot in the brush. I aimed through the brush and squeezed the trigger. I did not expect her to hang around long after all the noise and movement I had made getting on the ground. My partner was laughing his head off as we came out from under the cedars. I was right..... and after going around the tree about 20 yards away lay a nice 19 lbs female bobcat shot right in the white of her chest.
I would have to say this is a lesson I will not forget so easy again.....when mouth calling under a cedar tree WATCH OUT you may not be the only one under there.
We managed to shoot 5 bobcats and 4 cototes this weekend. Here is a photo of the animals I shot. She is the one on the bottom of the group photo [Smile]
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ February 11, 2008, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: BigMo ]

Posts: 15 | From: Paris Texas | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2008 09:33 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats BigMo you got some real nice fur there.. Good shooting..T.A.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
good job - nice cats.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2008 04:41 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Big Mo!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2008 07:02 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great weekend! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2008 06:12 AM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Great weekend. Nice work.
Cat market strong this year.

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters