The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Wind direction

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wind direction
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 06:52 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you prefer a cross wind or wind in tne face when calling , either hand calls or electronics , or different for each. what scenerio would cause you to use one or the other and why.Im sure that terrain plays a great part in your decision making.In a cross wind I have had coyotes come in from behind me walk past and in front of me , not having a clue I was there.with the wind in my face there is no way for me to know how many have come in behind me and I never knew they were there.
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 08:35 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Is That all the choices I get?lol I like calling with the wind at my back.That seems to be where they're going to be headed eventually anyway(downwind). [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

[ June 11, 2007, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1619 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Knows what it's all about
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 09:08 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes always go upwind, right?

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 05:25 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
When using electronic caller I like to watch down-wind but my speaker is placed cross-wind of me. I have learned that coyotes love to circle down-wind before final approach, so I spend 90 percent of my time watching the down-wind side.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 05:31 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't care as long as the down wind is open and visable for a long ways. Crosswind usually makes this the simplest to acomplish.

One of the advantages of continous calling is that the coyotes tend to circle less.

Different terrain requires different considerations. Along with this is the intensity of the wind.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 06:31 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
No limit on choices chad, I was just trying to get something going beside Paris Hilton(little snot).I always pick up good info from the guys on this board.I can rarley see directly behind me as I usually back to a bush or rocks if available
Onecoyote as far as I can tell coyotes dont always do anything at least around here.
Rich so far I have had the most success doing the same thing with my electronic caller setting up to watch the down wind side.hand calling Ive only had success calling them right in front of me thats why I seem to spend more time with the e- caller
Albert can you explain why they might circle less with continous calling
Thanks
PM

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 06:52 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
The area i call has a road that runs east and west with land owners on the northside and south side. When i work my way through the area i like to call both sides as i go. One problem i have is the wind is out of the south east or north west. So if the wind is out of the N-W that day i will call into the wind on north side of road and i will call with the wind on the south side. As long as i can see for a long distance i don't worry too much about the coyote getting my sent, most of the time he will be dead by the time he winds me..If i lived in the area i call then i would always call into wind or cross wind...

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5075 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 08:53 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
In WIND I prefer it at my back with a nice long field of view to the front. Breezy conditions sideways or in the face.
I concentrate more on the set up than I do the wind. Try to get the best view of where I expect them to come from and hopefully the wind is favorable.
I am a hand caller and I just blow and look in the direction I expect them to come. Don't get to many back door or other surprises. They usually come from the area I expected.

I guess I pay more attention to wind as the country gets thicker and consequently the encounters get closer. Out in this open desert you can get away with some unfavorable wind.

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 10:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I (usually) set up down wind of the caller & point the caller cross wind. Being left handed, I like having the caller on my right.

Regardless of everything else; I want a clear field of view & fire to the (electronic) caller.

With mouth calls, I like the wind in my face or either ear.

Note; I kill most of my called coyotes with a shot gun and the rest with a Mini-14 so we're not talking a lot of yardage here.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 05:34 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I guess that I feel that if the sound is always on they don't search for the distessed animal. They don't have to pin point the location they can hear where it is.

I feel that they tend to come straight in until they get to where they think that they should see the target. It really helps if there is a depression or a small area of grass/brush to hide the caller in. Although I hate to put it this way but I think it makes "sense" to the coyote in this case if he can hear the sound but fail to see anything.

A coyote will circle once it gets to the point that it feels that it should be seeing something. In the majority of cases this should be within range.

[ June 13, 2007, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: albert ]

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 08:00 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Furhvstr (exactly). In the open type terrain I like to hunt I place a lot of importance in being able to see. I always note wind direction and given a preference, I'd rather have a good view of the downwind side. Personally, I hate having the sun in my face more than unfavorable wind conditions.
Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 06:22 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the wind in my face and have chosen my stand with a good downwind shooting lane should i need it but I try to select the stand making it awful hard for him to get there without me shooting him first.It's awful open country here.

If you give him the option of getting downwind on the approach to your stand, you got to know he's proably going to take it.

If he sees or hears anythng funky he's going to use the wind.

If he questions what he hears and not sure he likes what he sees he's going to be sure of it with his nose.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
furhvstr
Member # 1389

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 06:56 PM      Profile for furhvstr   Email furhvstr         Edit/Delete Post 
Well put Randy.

In open country its much easier to get them dead before they have a chance to scent you.
The furthest I can recall ever witnessing a coyote pick up my scent was about 220 yds on a stand where I was unable to get the wind right.

Now the big question... Do you think that getting winded and not seen educates them?

Posts: 144 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 07:11 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
How I use the wind is totally dependent on where I am calling.
Around here we think of the wind in directions, like uphill and downhill.

More often than not we can't see one tenth the distance we can be winded from.

I've taken to calling a "bend" in a logging road, where I can walk the approach with the wind directly in my face, and I call the road around the bend.
This puts my wind in the road I approached on, and the thickness of the trees keeps it there like a tunnel (because it is a tunnel)...
(*Note to self: a guy like me should rethink misting)
And the wind in front of me, at the bend where I see both directions, quartering towards me.

If possible, I like the wind coming downhill to me at the stand, because I'd rather foul the uphill approach.

Being close to the edge of a cut is more important than anything else to me, now. And I rarely, if at all, go very far off road (into the timber) anymore.
If I can find a 30 year old stand of trees, bordering a fresh cut, with a stand of thick new replants (10-20 feet deep) in sight, I am happy.

Three bobcats, two bears, and the mountain coyote all came to stands like this.
That's a large percentage of all the predators I've called (in the woods).

(*Bears are cool, they'll sneak up in the trees, and then tell you they winded you)

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters