The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Xmas Coyote Hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Xmas Coyote Hunt
tawnoper
Knows what it's all about
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy and I decided to head into Nevada for a couple days of coyote hunting. We left SoCal early Monday morning for the long drive north to find we were for the most part blown out Monday. We made a few stands but the cold wind won and we headed into town to get some food. Later in the afternoon and into the night the wind started to peter out and we got in some hunting. The night hunting was pretty good, saw lots of eyes, mostly Kit Fox which we don’t shoot and get to be a nuisance. Called in a couple Bobcats too but since we are not Nevada residents we just checked em out, tried taking a picture of one that was about 50 yards but it didn’t turn out. We ended up seeing three Coyotes, taking two. One of the Coyotes had no tail, not sure how it got removed.

No Tail Coyote:

-

The next day was perfect for calling, overcast and cool with light to no wind. On our first stand I was calling when I heard what was to become a familiar sound to me that day, the sound of my buddy’s rifle followed by the bullet meat report. We walked out to gather this Coyote and see it’s missing a front leg, looks like it was either trapped or shot off.

Missing Leg Coyote:

-

I’m sure all of you who have hunted Coyotes had one of these days. For what ever reason all the animals came in on my Buddy’s side. I started joking with him that the animals obviously knew that was the safer approach. The last couple he got I saw because he started lip squeaking trying to get my attention so I might get a shot, but I was in no position for a shot. The last one he got was a nice shot, he said he was trying to get my attention and just about scared it off. It came into about 100 yards, got his wind while he was farting around and took off. It stopped for a look at about 250 yards and my buddy nailed it, nice shot.

250 Yard Coyote:

-

All in all it was a nice couple days. Would have been nice if Monday wasn’t blown out but Mon. night / Tuesday was good. We (my buddy) ended up with six coyotes, saw lots of critters and had a good time; also I don’t need to clean my rifle.

Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Knows what it's all about
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 04:24 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
tawnoper,

Enjoyed your hunt & pics. They do quite well on 3-legs, eh. Nice looking pelts & beautiful country.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2005 08:23 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful country, beautiful coyotes. Observers have reported coyotes losing their tails in scuffles with other coyotes. Usually the result of doing a hip-slam on the opponents shoulder with their tail flopping in the others face, who promptly bites down on it and will not let go. Zoo keeper at Phx zoo told me that is how the older male at the zoo lost his tail while fighting through the fence with wild coyotes from outside.
IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters