The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Trapping in Washington (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Trapping in Washington
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 06:27 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

As I said, I admire those who can transplant themselves, I just never have been good at it. I always seem to "head for home".

I have done labor for most of my 40+ yrs, and don't have any kind of trade or degree. Recent injuries have made that kind of work difficult for me, but I am struggling through as best I can.

Actually I am Krustyklimber, not Krustyhunter, I have lived in one of the best places on Earth to be a climber for most of my life, and became very attached to it.
Like Lance says we do have some awesome views, even better ones from the summit.

Hunting is new to me, I've been back at it for about three years now, and I took it up because I wasn't up to the physical demands of climbing anymore (it's way harder on a guy than hunting, or trapping, I am sure).
I am not sure, though, that I love it enough to move just for hunting.

If I had to answer which suits my personality more, hunting or living here, I'd have to say hunting is not it.
Some of my tree/bunny hugger friends believe I have lost my mind, they never would have expected it from me.

I am not sure how many more blanks stands I even have left in me. A new hobby seems like a better and better quest all the time.

Lance,

I did not, and do not, expect to start a "the top" as far as trapping goes... I had assumed I could start like most kids do, running a slough for muskrats, working up to coons and cats, and never ever expected to catch a coyote (we don't have) in a trap.
I would have liked to just give it a try.

I said back when Tim got me to repost this thread, the whole idea of "being a trapper" is futile, and now is just for the sake of discussion.
And you're right the whole thing is so much hassle, I might be just as well off to bail on the whole idea, saving myself $36.00 on a useless trapping license. Not to mention the increased cost of traps that are legal to use, over the cheaper (and possibly more effective) alternatives.

Tim said something to me once and it has stuck with me, that even if I never trapped, the trappers association could use me in their "count of members" helping their bargaining postition. A "united we stand" kind of thing. I understand that end of it for sure.

I don't imagine the search for an experienced trapper will be any easier than not finding a coyote calling mentor hasn't been.
I do have some good resources if I should ever need to, but that is "putting the cart before the horse".
I first should be legal to trap, before bothering to do it, and the season is still a month away (if I read the rules right I cannot accompany another trapper, until I am licensed).

This whole discussion was intended to help me "look before I lept" I wasn't going forward with any action, until I had deeply researched it.
I am not sure, with the small amount of research I have done, I will go forward.

My T&pc subscription seems to have evaporated (still can't get in online), so did the back issues they were going to send me.
[Confused]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 4 posted October 10, 2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need to settle this right now, people.

Exactly what is more important than hunting?

Think it over, there must be something?

The view from the top of a mountain, perhaps? hahahahaha

Good hunting. LB

PS just having a little fun with the K guy.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
wdhunt40
Knows what it's all about
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2004 09:57 PM      Profile for wdhunt40   Email wdhunt40         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty get a hold of George Sovie and chat with him, he can get you started with some one in your area. Give me a email and I can see who the rep is for your area to get in touch with. There is all kinds of work in your area as NWCO. You would be amazed at what the trappers have learned about
cage trapping. We have fellow and his son here in Stevens county that took 70 some bobcats last year in cages. And these cats bring top dollar, your cats don't do as well but what the heck at least you can get out and there always time for a calling stand or two. Get on the net there's all kinds of help out there.
Wayne
PS the trappers association is haveing a trappers expedition Nov. 19-21 in the Moses lake area, and Fur Handling workshop in Rochester in dec.

[ October 10, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: wdhunt40 ]

Posts: 11 | From: cheney wa. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2004 04:46 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

All kidding aside, it wouldn't hurt some of us, to take a step back and actually examine what in our lives is and isn't more important than hunting.

I have been pondering it very hard since reading your joke.
All good jokes are based in truth, and there's a lot of it in that one.

Wayne,

Thanks for all your help, that's mighty nice of ya! [Smile]

I am not in any big hurry to jump into this.
At this point I am still crunching the numbers.

I had expected to be able to buy a couple dozen 110s for about the price of one muskrat cage trap, and a dozen 220s and buckets for the same price as a raccoon cage trap. And to supplement that with a few homemade colony traps, even a small roll of cage wire will go a long way.

I hadn't yet factored into that the cost of EVERYTHING ELSE!
The books and related equipment, chains, swivels, lures, catch pole, stretchers, fleshing knives, etc... which I would need no matter which kind of traps I used (the links everyone provided helped a lot).

All I got now is a good pair of waders and work gloves, a walking stick, and a .25 auto [Big Grin] (oh I also have a pair of cage clip pliers and a small bag of clips, left over from making pet cages).

I still have a lot of research and studying to do, pass my trapping exam, and actually get my license (after reading all the rules, the test has got to be CRAZY).
Then I'll be able to speak the language and know what to ask the guys who are available to help, without wasting their time (turns out there's quite a few).

I didn't know what NWCO meant, so off to Google I went, put in "Washington NWCO" and came up with not only the answer but a bunch of good information, a local referral listing, some used trap listings, all kinds of good stuff. Ya gotta love Google.

This is what it takes to become one; WSR 04-01-053

I got to diggin around on one site, and found this interesting "canine specific" live catch trap, the collarum.. Anybody know anything about them?

Well thanks for everyone's help,

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters