The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Monopod or Bipod or a Better Technique??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Monopod or Bipod or a Better Technique???
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 04:57 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

Now that was funny.

Randy

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 09:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The previous "Bill" for those unfamiliar, happens to be Michael McCasland's hunting partner. We call him Lucky . [Smile]

Don't see enough of you around these parts, Bill! How's it going?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a ladder with a nice comfy seat on top...

I drag it out of the truck, up the hill and set it up, and it falls over. [Wink]
I am not climbin' up on it!

So far I have just leaned it on a tree, still kinda scarey. Nice to be above the brush some though.
I thought about putting a couple "cups" on one of the steps, to put my shooting stick's feet in, or a "roller coaster bar" as a rest I can move left or right on a lil easier. I don't want to have to lean over the side too far, as I would have to in "v" sticks.

Must be a lot different for MJMcC out in the desert.

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Knows what it's all about
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Leonard,

I got a chuckle out of “Lucky”. I’d almost forgotten about those isolated incidents.

I check the board often daily. You have some good members that engage in intelligent conversation. Well at least most of them. [Big Grin] I’m waiting for the weather to cool off before getting serious about calling.

Krusty, I use in place of your cup and sticks idea, screw eyelets and a monopod which I think might work better. However if it works for you, great. Your early photo of your hunting grounds (cliffs) is no place I would be calling and/or using a ladder. You climb cliffs, I climb a ladder, we are probably both consider crazy. [Wink] Good luck on your newest hunting grounds.

Bill

Posts: 55 | From: Tucson | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 12:20 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I never leave home with out my shooting stix! I tryed a few bi pods and didnt like them at all. The ground is way to un-level here for those. Stix seem to be the best way to go for me. I cover alot of ground in a days calling and the stix are light and make a good walking stick to!

I have a ladder I hunt off of at night in the strip mines here. It has a swivel seat and gun rest on the top. Set up just like a truck chair they use in TX. Its all alm and dont wiegh much, the light attaches to the bar on the bottom of the seat and gives me a 360 deg turn area. Works awsome in open areas or areas were you need some hight to see over the brush. We set up alot closer to the truck at night so geting it in and out is no big deal.

Kee

IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 05:57 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of sticks... I had some new ones waiting for me when I got home last night. Verne Howey made them for me. They are a little different than what I've been using. These have a "top" on them. It's one of those rubber coated inverted "U" deals, like the old back window rifle racks. It holds the forend and swivels. Makes left/adjusments while in the sticks much smoother. Major adjustments would still require moving the sticks, or scooting your behind (or just droppping them like I usually do). Just sitting on the floor with a rifle in them, I think I'm going to prefer these sticks to the ones I've been using for years. Only time in the field will tell for sure though (of course).

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 07:18 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're talking about types of sticks, I used the Snipe Pod sticks for several years and really liked them. They are attached to your sling swivel and when you pick up your rifle to sing around for a coyote they go along. But the legs are still independant of each other so they work on unlevel ground etc. They also have a very quick release so if I had a coyote at several hundred and needed to go prone I would kick them off and in a prone position rest my rifle on my binos. I would put my binos on end with the lens caps on. Last year I started using the Predator sniper sticks. I really like them so far. They are made of aluminum (sp) shafts and have three legs. The two long legs are used like normal shooting sticks, then they have a short leg to be used for prone. I'm thinking seriously about combining the two types. Using the attached long legs of the snipe pod and having the shorter leg attached so I can still use them prone. If everyone is now confused, I have a digital camera now so maybe I'll try to take some pics today.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 07:58 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Howey sticks a couple of years back at a NTA convention. I wanted to buy them then, but had already blown my budget before runnig into them. Still thinking about buying one or two in the future. I see that Boddiker is carrying them on the Crit'r Call site.

Cal,
I assume the short leg is used as a monopod?

Bill,
Could you refresh my memory on a ladder article in the T&PC? Was it Gerry Blair that wrote it? Was your name mentioned and was Michael misidentified in a picture or something similiar? If I'm right, do you know what was the issue?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 03:02 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I got some of Verne Howey's shooting sticks 5 years ago, and have used them religiously ever since. They far outperform any of the other shooting rests/supports I tried.

Dave, I'm sure you'll settle on Howey's shooting sticks after using them for a while.

My main calling rifle also has a Harris 8-13" Bi-pod. I use it enough to warrant it being on the gun, but most of the time it's folded up and I'm shooting (from the sitting position) with Howey's sticks.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis,

Yes my 15 minutes of fame came from an article in the November 1999 issue of T&PC written by Gerry Blair. Michael was misidentified in the article as Dave McNichols which probable was just the mixing of Michael and the name of another member Gerry met at the SAWC meeting. Gerry's visit to Tucson was prior to his retirement and even then he was aware of his medical problems. That alone was probable enough for him to misplace a detail. Even so, the time spent with Gerry was a treasure.

Bill

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 11:13 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Screw eyes? Can you elaborate?

Thanks for the well wishes, we have been pretty lucky so far, hopefully it will continue.
I'll be really glad when I don't have to rely on luck. LOL [Razz]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty I hope this helps.

ACE Hardware sell screw eyes that are .162 wire diameter, 1 ½ inches long with a 3/8 inch eye opening which are suitable for using as a pivot point on the front of one of the steps of the ladder. I use 3 screw eyes, one on each end of the step and one in the center. When they are installed the hole are facing up. A 2-3 inch deck screw is screwed half way into the foot of the monopod, length wise.

My ladder sound like your ladder, it also has a seat on top. So, climb up on the ladder and sit down, Insert the foot of the monopod in one of the screw eyes. Rest the forearm of the rifle in the fork in the top of the monopod . There you have it a portable, elevated , semi safe shooting stand.

[ October 01, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Bill ]

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Thanks, crystal clear now. I like it. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------

TT
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2004 06:32 PM      Profile for TT           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's mine! I have several sets that I leave in each vehicle. Sticks get me up over top of stubble and such and I use the harris for prone.
 -

Posts: 15 | From: SWOntario | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Z
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Z   Author's Homepage   Email Z         Edit/Delete Post 
TT,
Those look like twins to my sticks. They work for me. And it looks like they work for you too.

Posts: 51 | From: Bluffdale, UT | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters