The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » coon vs. coyote?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: coon vs. coyote?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2004 08:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished my T&PC, a lot of ink about racoons and coyotes. But, not in the same context.

Has anybody witnessed, or heard accounts of encounters between coons and coyotes? What happened, who prevailed?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 06:49 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Pound for pound, I think raccoons are probably the most tenacious fighting animals we have in North America. I don't think too many coyotes would be willing to fight long enough to kill one. I know when the coyotes moved into the area I used to live in Indiana. Raccoon population numbers soared, and the groundhogs all but disappeared.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Knows what it's all about
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 08:27 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never witnessed a coon/coyote confrontation but I have to agree with Tim. I think coyotes, at least the smaller version coyote we have out west, try to avoid confrontations with coons much like they do with badgers. Don't know for sure though.
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 08:51 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen an actual confrontation between a coon and a coyote either, so my answer will only be an educated guess. A large coon in Iowa will weigh nearly as much as the average coyote. My belief is that if coons couldn't climb trees, there would be a whole lot less of the buggers. Coyotes would probably wipe them out. The badger? Now that is pure dynamite on four legs. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a coyote and raccoon go at it, but as a kid I saw my german shorthair pointer go a round with the coons more than a few times... it was a good fight, if like Rich said, he could catch them on open ground and they could not tree.

Tim,

Gee I dunno... my GSP and a big boar coon were very similar in size and weight, and it was a decent fight.
I have seen housecats twice the size or more than a grey squirrel, get their butts kicked by a squirrel.
I would say they have more fight, pound for pound, than a raccoon does (I have done hand to hand combat with both species, I don't want to do so with either again, the squirrel actually inflicted more damage to me).

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shades of Jimmy Carter! At least you lived to talk about it!

Good hunting. LB

edit: oops! Coons have a couple advantages, the ability to climb a tree better than a dog, and the ability to fight at a location of their choosing. Many stories of drowned hounds.

But, in a direct dust up between a coyote and a racoon, it may be like playing tennis with a lefty, or boxing. It may be unfamiliar territory to many coyotes. I don't see many coons out in the desert, you can drive for miles before you see a cottonwood, and it's likely there will be a few coons in the branches.

Sometimes, they can fool you. Never have called a coon on a day stand. I saw a road kill coon in the most unlikely place, Elfreida, AZ, once.

(Vic, ever know Calvin & Doris King? Now lives in Wilcox)

Anyway, badgers are tough cookies, of that I have no doubt.

The problem here is, turf. Neither coons nor badgers would defend a carcass, it seems to me? They have their clams and their squirrels, and a coyote probably wouldn't fight about that. So, they most likely live in parallel worlds?

What would provoke a fight to the death, I couldn't guess? Now, would a coyote pick a fight with a bunch of coons? Or, the reverse. Would a pair of coyotes team up on a single coon, for dinner?

Good hunting. LB

[ August 29, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 05:52 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Coons are one tough sun of a gun! We have alot of them here. And a lot of coon hunters to go with them. I hear more stories of coyotes geting the coon dogs, than the coons geting them. They also get big here. I know a coon will drown a dog if they get them in a little water. I have never seen a coon and coyote fight but my money would be on the coon, if it was a one on one fight. I have seen some big mean coon dogs have there butt handed to them by a few coons. And have also pulled a few coons off dogs and have a nice little scar to show for it...lol

But on the other hand, I have a Jack RT that has killed a couple. And now is trying to heal up from the last one he killed...He has an awful looking face and tail right now. But is healing up well...lol....Thing is he will go right back for more if I would let him.

I think coyotes and coons just pass ways. Dont think one wants any part of the other. To much work for the coyote and the coon will just let them pass as long as they dont mess with them.

If it was a fight to the death, my money would be on the coon I think.

Kee

IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I wonder if there is some sort of natural instinct in coyotes to avoid contact with coons? Would a instinctual fear of rabies and things like distemper have any bearing? Something similiar to avoiding rattlesnakes.

Anybody ever find any coon bones or hide around den sites or playgrounds?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 07:10 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting insight so far.

One thing I want to mention is the difference between dry-land coons, typically big boars and barren females, and the water coon, which are typically the younger females raising a litter, and overall younger coon.

The coon on the water are smaller and don't have the mean attitude the dry-land coon do.

I don't intentionally trap coons much, but have caught a number of them in coyote sets. I've never had one killed by coyotes. I have seen where coyote(s) have harassed one, but I've never seen one killed.

I can't count the times I've had a raccoon killed in a trap, bobcat tracks everywhere, and a bobcat sitting the second trap 30 yards away. Bobcats absolutely hate coons and will go out of their way to kill one. Anyone's guess?

As far as coon versus coyote? I think they just give each other a wide berth. It's coon versus bobcat where things get interesting.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny this topic is running now, the TV is on over my shoulder, and Nature was just on PBS.

In the show about animal babies was a scene where 5 coyote pups went to battle with a badger.
And I think some form of learning was going on I do. The hard lessons accompanied with blood.

Each time the badger would get ahold of one of the coyotes the others got brave, circled, attacked harder, and the badger would release his victim, and work his way towards his hole.
Once he made it in his hole, the coyotes gathered directly on top of it, and sang a song.

Pretty cool stuff.

Krusty  -

[ August 29, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobcat versus porcpine is another interesting topic.

Krusty, I'd have liked to see that piece of film. I'm surprised the badger didn't chew some legs off.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 04:19 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
The momma Coyote says." Son you see that critter with a mask. Well that aint the Lone Ranger, But he will have you hollering Hi Ho Silver when he mounts you're ass".

That conversation took place about 2000 years ago.

Ronnie

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
imlvt
PAKMAN
Member # 257

Icon 12 posted September 17, 2004 07:05 PM      Profile for imlvt           Edit/Delete Post 
We had coonhounds when I was young and the eastern coyote was establishing himself here in NY. Any time a pack of coyote had advantage, they would harrass the dogs. Dogs were tough and would stand and fight. Coyotes always broke first. I can tell you a big boar coon would set our dogs back and make them cry for help. Those dogs knew that an unhappy coon was a whole lot of hurt if they weren't real careful. I bet coyotes just aren't going to get hungry enough to finish the work needed for coon a'la'carte.

--------------------
best thoughts are the memories of past hunts.

Dave
Member # 402

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Dave   Email Dave         Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree that a coon would make a coyote think twice about ever coming near one again. I have trapped and spotlighted alot of coon. When you corner them or suprise them in an old barn,house or whatever they get real mean real quick! I can see why they keep clear of each other. Now a badger is a whole different story. No animal in there right mind would ever tangle with one!

Dave

Posts: 28 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters