The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Finally did it...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally did it...
Crow Woman
Knows what it's all about
Member # 157

Icon 14 posted March 08, 2004 01:57 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
After eleven years of calling and killing coyotes but never during a contest, I finally won my first contest. Just a small local contest here, but it was probably the biggest challenge to me, in ways that I really can't expect you all to understand. I called in a 36 pound male with the bushiest coat, I have ever gotten.

I'm having him fully mounted by Sampson's Taxidermy. He will be sneaking in with his mouth opened and front paws stepping onto a log. At the tip of the log will be a crow just starting to take flight with his wings fully stretched.

I figure, my first contest win, my first coyote mount for me to keep [Wink]

I just had to share this one, with ya!

[Cool]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 05:58 AM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Job CW!! [Big Grin] Be sure to post pics before and after.
Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 14 posted March 08, 2004 06:08 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 06:25 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys! There were a couple of pics taken, but unfortunately, I forgot the number one cardinal rule, flip it over so that the exit hole doesn't show [Big Grin]

So in a week, I'll take it to the taxidermist and get a picture of it frozen of course with the good side showing. I hope it turns out as awesome as I am imagining [Cool]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 06:42 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Sheri!! Congratulations. Let's hear about the stand. What sounds did you use?
IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 06:59 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Great Job!

Who howled the loudest? The coyote before you shot him,or you on winning the contest? Was there a payout?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 07:48 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations... That is great news... Author, Public Speaker, Contest Winner.

Keep up the great work...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 09:23 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you CW!

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 11:17 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Shei,

How great is that. Congratulations. I, too, want to hear all the details. Tell us! Tell us!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
!Muy bueno! Can't wait to see him.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 02:49 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
The prize was $220.00. I'm almost ashamed that I can't tell you all the hard work it was to get it. It was kind of beginners luck, really... not in hunting of course, but in my new thing I've been fulling around with.

It was around 5:45p.m. still daylight but slowly getting dark. The coyotes were starting up for the evening with their barking. I had just got a double split reed diaphragm(sp?) I knew I would need it for spring gobbler season coming up, but I also wanted to full around with it and see how the pro's do their howling and barking with it. I got the howls down ok the other day, but I was going to work on how in the heck to bark. So I started and after a couple of tries, came up with a bark. Got the feel of it and placement and gave another bark, this time louder.

Didn't this boy answer right back along with a couple of other coyotes with one bark. My guy was about 300 hundred yards over the stone wall. The other two were a little farther away.

So I kind of chuckled with myself in amazement, that I must have sounded alright, so I gave him another one bark. Within, a few seconds, I saw this form 236 yards out standing just inside of the locust. I thought, "Dang, It's that stupid bobcat again." Then something told me to slide my hand over when I saw the head turn away and reach for my binoculars. It was my coyote looking around. Slow motion, I got into position, found him in my crosshairs and aimed just a little high as I squeezed off the trigger.

He flopped down and then sprang back up and started heading for that thick briar patch that I loose coyotes to, I thought, "Futher Mocker!!%&^%&^, here we go again!!!"

Then he got to the middle of the rye as I found him in my crosshairs again and he just piled. No need for a second shot.

Now all of this was way too easy and too quick. So naturally, I looked to the sky and was looking to see if it was going to fall down or something [Roll Eyes] Then I thought, nah... that coyote is probably playing dead and will attack me when I go retrieve it [Eek!]

So with the luck I've been having lately, I thought I would just pick up my cell phone and waste some time before I went to get it and watch to make sure it didn't move again. So I called Ronnie and told him. After talking for a few, I decided it was time to head down to get him.

I left blessings and did my prayers and loaded him up.

I can't say, The End... I can only say... Here's to the next journey [Wink]

[Cool]

Thanks Everyone!

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, Sheri (and I'll be courteous enough to spell your name correctly this time), the hunt you just described is an every-time-out sort of event for a lot of the guys here who are blessed to be in the coyote-rich environs of the desert southwest. But, you have the talent of writing your essay in such a way as to help us to understand that not all of the coyote's range offers the same opportunities as many of us here enjoy. And furthermore, the way you shared the details with us, it kind of gives us a chance to look back at our own similar experiences and enjoy the minutia of details just a little bit more. And I think, somewhere in all the hurry and haste, you'll help each of us find what we've lost somewhere along life's road. For me, you've described the thrill of sitting back after the shot, and the kill, and savoring that rush of adrenalin rather than jumping up to retrieve our coyote and rush on to the next setup. Sweet! Thanks for the story.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2004 03:13 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW cdog911... Thank You! I'm a bit taken by your comments at the moment. Would you believe you left this chatty crow a bit speachless??!!??

[Wink]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2004 08:17 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Sheri! Mostly for your win and secondly for the good read. Thanks

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bomba
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Bomba           Edit/Delete Post 
Bomba impressed by Crow Lady.

Chief say...

quote:
Patience beget skill and appreciation only true predator caller can understand placing them above all other. The Lion may be mighty, the buffalo strong and cheetah swift, but richest reward come to the cunning and wise like the leopard in jungle. Their spots are many eyes that see beyond darkness making all things possible.

[ March 09, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Bomba ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters