The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Predator hunting wish list (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Predator hunting wish list
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 12, 2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides your local haunts, where would you really like to hunt?

Gimme one, or several. It would be nice if you gave your reasons.

I'll go first. Alaska. Reason: wolf.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 6 posted September 12, 2003 08:18 PM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
Salt Ste. Marie, Canada with Kevin Watson. He is a great guy and a true hunter. I would love to make a wolf hunt with him.

Kevin, are you out there?

Take care.

Bruce A. Kennedy

--------------------
"There are lion chasers, lion catchers, and lying SOB's."

"Warriors of El Gato - The Lion"

Posts: 368 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Rancho Nuevo de Santa Maria del Oro

Durango, Mexico

My boyz tell me there area about 50 million never been called coyotes and bobcats. Lots and lots of arroyos they tell me. The reason it will never happen???? Rattlesnakes. They say are about 50 billion of those.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
In no particular order;

Bishop, Ca.
Specifically, The Buttermilks and The Volcanic Tablelands.
Why, lots of access, tons of sign all over the place...
And free camping, free hotsprings, and good climbing!

Mc Neal, Az.
Because I was invited, and guaranteed a dozen full grown coyotes, and maybe a bobcat or a grey fox... and a bit of schoolin'. And I wouldn't even have to put up with any "airdorks"! (man, I laughed when I read that!) [Razz]

Midland, Texas.
Why...
Um, hello??? It's Midland, Texas!!!  -
I wonder if Randy does charity work for broke smart-asses like me?  -

Joshua Tree National Park, Ca.
Because they have 20,000 semi tame coyotes that have never been called... coyotes that are attracted to the sound of a vehicle, and will accept handouts from a car window... so many that is makes sleeping in a tent at night difficult for all the noise.
Maybe I could actually shoot one with a gun this time.  -

Terra Haute, Ind.
Because I was invited, and guaranteed almost as many coyotes as in Az., and a damn good time!  -

Las Vegas, Nv.
Because I could finally meet my friend Crapshoot in person, blast some jackrabbits, and get a bit of climbing in at one of the world's finest climbing areas... Redrock Canyon.
The whole time staying in a $19 hotel room and eating all I can at the buffet, for $4, everynight before we go out into the desert to hunt from a truck with lights.  -

Terrabonne, Ore.
Free camping, right next to a wildlife area, within a few mile of some of the best rock climbing on the planet... with almost as many singing coyote as there were at J-Tree (I have even voice howled and gotten a response there), and miles of ungated roads lacing through the juniper scrubs, and volcanic tuff outcroppings.
I love a day where I can take my climbing shoes and throw out a few short easy climbs found hiding in otherwise untraveled land (by climbers).

Gillette, Wy.
I'd like to go out and meet up with Cal Taylor, see some Dorn dogs doing their thing, and blow up some prairie dogs (that is after all what V-max's were invented for!)

Goldendale, Wa.
Because, I'd like to think bygones are bygones  -

I could go on forever, and I know I forgot some I've been invited to go see...

Jeff  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stretch
Knows what it's all about
Member # 91

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2003 10:18 PM      Profile for Stretch   Email Stretch         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

I think I'd have to say Africa... Reading about Leonards trip and the contact I've had with Lochi make it sound like hunters heaven.... [Smile]

But besides that, the chance at taking different animals, like caracal, hyena, baboon and maybe throw in a warthog or two to show my wife that I really ain't the ugliest creature in the world, regardless of what SHE says.... [Wink]

Krusty...

I think I may have figured out why ya haven't had a shot at a coyote yet... Cause when your hunting I bet your thinking what places that would be good for climbing.... If your busy looking around at the hills and mountains, you can't see the coyotes!! LOL [Wink]

--------------------
If practice makes perfect,
and no one is perfect,
then why practice?

Posts: 22 | From: Dallas, TX. US | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2003 08:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, do something , quick.

Those offers might dry up, some day.

We all think that you need to lose your cherry.

Besides, I thought you said you can't climb any more, because of an injury?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

All too true...

I am working very hard to save up enough dough to go on a couple of these hunts.

I can still climb, but not as long, or as hard, as in the past... I still like to boulder which is like concentrated climbing, focusing on a couple very hard moves, as opposed to climbing hundreds or thousands of feet in a day... sorta like group shooting, instead of a dove hunt.

And I always will be a climber at heart...

If you were to lose the use your right hand, and could not fire a gun well anymore, would you not still dream the dreams of a hunter?

On a side note: Thursday Red and I went out and made a few stands.
We have been using distance to our advantage, and have been setting the two of us apart by a hundred yards or so...
The last stand we made, I could not se Red in the position he took up (130yds downwind), I called somewhat continously for about 15 mins...
Red then took over the calling, and instantly two coyotes popped over the hill to his spot.

He fumbled a bit with his gun, and then got off a shot... we lost the (very faint) blood trail some three hundred yards down the ridge (in the wet grass), and never found the coyote.

Now that summer is over, and the pups have disbanded, I will be hunting a lot more...

I guess the place I most want to go is just to go at all!!!

Jeff  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Alaska or Canada for wolf.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, by the way. Another desire is to call some of those western states that I have missed, over the years. Fill in the gaps, so to speak.

That would be Montana, Washington, the Dakotas, and possibly Nebraska. They have been slightly out of reach, by ground transportation.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2003 03:05 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
"Wish"? Yellowstone, wolves.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 6 posted September 13, 2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
One accomplishment I would like to complete, is call and kill 10 coyotes in one winter (Oct-Feb), right here in eastern Pa. It doesn't sound like a lot to most on this board, but around these parts, an accomplishment like that would put you on a pedestal.

But instead of beating my brains out against a wall, I treck once again to California, Arizona, and Nevada. One day I'll find that perfect big bobcat, to do a full mount. Hopefully next month; I picked up my plane tickets last Wednesday for sunny CA.

But if the truth be told, I just enjoy getting together with a few buddies in the western states. We always end up having a great time, some good adventures, and we end up killing a few coyotes and bobcats to boot. We try and disguise this, and all pretend to be serious hunters. [Wink]

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
To make trips of that length, repeatedly; you are a serious predator hunter, my friend. Live with it! [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

PS hey, there's a topic for us. What National Park would you love to hunt? Thanks, Dave.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bofire
READ MY LIPS!
Member # 221

Icon 6 posted September 13, 2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Bofire   Author's Homepage   Email Bofire         Edit/Delete Post 
At this moment I think Alaska, truly BIG Moose, Wolves. Bears?? Tons a deer. Fish. For a bit more $ Africa. I have had the pleasure of hunting Elk in WA, Or, ID, MT, Wy. To me nothing spells big game in America like big Bulls in the high country on horseback.
Coyotes in Ariz, New Mexico and Texas, on private ranches with Gerald Stewart.
and and and
Geez my mind is spinning.
Carl

Posts: 322 | From: Wild West | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2003 04:19 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Hummmm, I'm talking about predator hunting only. If I could hunt anywhere I wanted, I'd have to say Mexico for numbers of animals of all kinds. [Smile]

Just for coyotes, I'd have to say a secert place that Del Western and Benny Murray use to hunt in Arizona many years ago, and I know where it's at lol. [Wink]

I have called in Joshua Tree before ( no guns ). First stand was a triple, next stand was a double and last stand was a single and I started my first stand at noon. Somehow I think I could get a 100 coyotes out of Joshua Tree on a weekend if they would just let me [Frown] lol.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
John/Alaska
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2003 01:00 PM      Profile for John/Alaska   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tis a tough question for me as I can hunt wolf out my back door. I guess I might like to go to Africa as well as revisit some of my old haunts on the west coast.

Speaking of National Parks.An immediate goal is to call wolves in St Elias National Park as there are lots. Thinking in the next couple of weeks if I can get SIL to drop me off on the Chitna river for a day or two. Oh and I can shoot them in the Park too if they decide to show up!

Posts: 62 | From: Tok Alaska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Great question, now I'll be thinking of all the places that I need to get to. Let's see, I have called and killed coyotes in Wy., Mt.,S.D.,N.D., Nev.,Ut., Az.,and Co. So for hot spots that leaves California, Texas, and Mexico. I'll probably get to call Texas this year, I really don't want to go back to California for anything, and I don't know when I'll get to Mexico, but hopefully some day. A wolf hunt in Wyoming isn't too many years away, I have a feeling, so I will wait for that, and I recently seen a copy of a video piece of a Kodiak Brown called in with a predator call and shot with a bow. That would be interesting.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Oklahoma?
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 5 posted September 15, 2003 03:12 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal why do you think Wyoming will have a wolf hunt in the future? I hope your right.

--------------------

Rob
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2003 04:37 AM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal went to Wyoming Game and Fish Dept. wed site and read up on the Wyoming Gray Wolf Management Plan. Good luck this hunting season.

--------------------

howler
Member # 197

Icon 8 posted September 22, 2003 10:47 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd like to call mexico someday, I guess its possible but not hassle free

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2003 12:43 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to hunt predators in Mexico. I've contacted a few of the outfitters in Mexico but have yet to find any who are willing, or know anything about predator hunting down there. Damn.

I would like to hunt wolves in Newfoundland, or eastern Canada, as well as the Yukon, or Alaska.

Australia for dingoes and 30-40 foxes in one night.

There are also a couple indian reservations around the west that I dream of having access to.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2003 03:07 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's good to finally be back among the living.I have been working like a dog the last few months and have also had computer problems,but it's good to be back and see all the familiar names.
Well now for the topic at hand,I'm with Leonard "Alaska" has always been way up there on my list,wolves would be great fun to try to call.
Speaking of calling I just got back from my first road trip of the year,we went to Nevada for a few days last week and had a pretty good shoot.Three days of calling we called 12 coyotes and shot 8.There were definitely more coyotes this year than we have seen in years past.We probably saw 25+ coyotes total over the 4 days of hunting and traveling.Optimistic to say the least.We should have had more in the pickup but lack of offseason practice cost us a couple [Roll Eyes] GOOD HUNTING CO

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
MULE
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2003 09:40 AM      Profile for MULE           Edit/Delete Post 
Turkey or Mongolia for wolves

--------------------
Kickin' it on the Steppes. Livin' in my Yurt

My Hockey Mom can beat up your Community Organizer

Posts: 334 | From: Ulan Bator | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jerryboy
Member # 231

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2003 11:59 AM      Profile for jerryboy   Email jerryboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I want a Cronk killer call. [Frown] jerryboy

--------------------
Boom!!!!!! Whop!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 39 | From: Innnnnnnndiana | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2003 09:49 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Wyoming, because I need to practice calling in windy conditions. [Smile]
New Mexico, Colorado, and Montana, because I’ve never called them before.

I would love to go east to Pennsylvania and West Virginia because I was invited. I think it would also help me realize how spoiled I really am.

Yellowstone would be cool if I could find a place to be alone. [Big Grin]

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters