The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » what's the worst? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: what's the worst?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Some say a human body, maybe a bloated coyote? What is the baddest odor you ever experienced?

Good hunting. LB

(I hope that "Mrs LB" doesn't sneek in here with a wise crack about entering the bathroom after I left it!)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't find this smell the least bit odorous but one day afer eating lots of Taco Bell, my dad found me to be much worse than odorous. We were driving as a family down the road and my dad kept shouting at me, "Damn it Daniel, knock it off, I'm serious now, stop that." I had the giggles so bad and I just kept right on fluffering. For real, For Ral, I'm not kidding. Dad pulled over ran out of the car and puked in the ditch. (I think, I've told this story before online- sorry)

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Badger. Hands down!

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 10:14 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
opening a bucket of mildewified old paint

--------------------

jerryboy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 231

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 10:26 AM      Profile for jerryboy   Email jerryboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Philipeno friend who was lactos intollerant. Yet he chugged milk all the time.
We took a 120 mile trip and ,I'm serious, this was human gas at it's worse,X10. I almost puked many times. I have smelled some bad things,but there was something wrong with him LOL. jerryboy

--------------------
Boom!!!!!! Whop!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 39 | From: Innnnnnnndiana | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 12:23 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I was working for a county predator control program and the other trapper had been having alot of problems in an area and couldn't find the culprits. I had killed some old ones and taken a den about 4 miles from the problem area, and the killing stopped. After no new kills for a couple of warm sping days we got to thinking that this may have been where the problem coyotes were, so we went and cut open the dog coyote that I had killed to check stomach contents and sure enough he was full of meat with some wool mixed in. The closest sheep were where the problem was occuring. Problem solved. But if you have never cut open the stomach of a two day dead coyote when it is warm out you have really missed a treat. Now for the really gross. I have a good freind who is a state trapper for Utah, He works some of the west desert country. He was riding some country looking for a den with his dogs. It was hot, and his dogs took off down a draw. He followed and came around a corner and seen a vehicle in the distance and he could hear a low humming from a couple hundred yards. At a hundred yards his dogs hung back and he could smell a terrible odor. The worst he had ever smelled. As he got closer he couldnt see in the vehicle because the windows were black. One window was open just a crack and he could finally see that the black and the humming were caused by millions of flys, the smell was the guy that had drove himself out in the desert to commit suicide about a week or so earlier. Said he couldn't get any closer, just rode back to his truck and called it in.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 12:39 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I thought of something I should have never forgotten. Around the time the JAWS movie came out, the thing to do was to slice open the stomach of a shark. I was on one such shark hunt and the sight alone was sickening and then the smell hit you. 35 sharks taken and only 12 were sliced open before everone called it quits. Undescribable

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 01:37 PM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this compares to Cal and Jays. Yuck!

Had a couple snared coyotes that hung themselves over the top wire once. They expired during the night and hung there till mid morning. Was skinning them at my friends. His fur shed ain't real roomy and definitely not well ventilated. Had the hide pulled down to the hips on one. My "friend" (I use the term loosely [Smile] ) puts his palms on each side of the ribcage and gives a hard squeeze. What sounded like a muffled fart came out of some unknown orifice. I couldn't get to the door fast enough. Gagging all the way. He was laughing his a$$ off telling me to "man up". Gotta love that ripe body gas.

Later, Curt

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 02:16 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal
That happened here around 15 or 20 years ago. The guy was in there for 2 of 3 months I think. Even with the interior completely gutted, the smell never went away, rendering the vehicle basically worthless. NASTY!

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 04:13 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, We went surf fishing for a week down in Baja. Filled up 6 or 7 100 quart ice chest with fish on dry ice. When we got back we had cleaned all of the ice chest but one full of fish and forgot it. About a month later OMG we forgot one, I had to open it, enough said lol.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 05:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, coyotes or humans, with an honorable mention for badger...yeah, they don't even have to get ripe.

But, a summertime Arizona coyote can balloon up in three or four hours, and you have a real problem.

I don't remember exactly how it happened, but while in Africa, hunting with Lochi, I killed a jackal, and he was doing something with it, posing it, back at the road; wanted to get a picture. Anyway, he got a little too close and; well, maybe because the animal was hit a little too far back? He lost his lunch, right there.

We have all heard the stories about the good old days where we might bring a few hundred pounds of dead coyotes back to check in, right? Well, I used to get these huge heavy duty plastic bags from work, and we would toss all the whole body animals into it, so as to keep leaking blood off all the gear. Plus, we usually slept right on top of them on the ride home. Anyway, some of those bags, when finally opened Sunday afternoon...sheesh!

Anybody ever wonder how, or why we decided to go with a proof of kill? You try finding room for 20/30 coyotes in the back of your truck! I could tell you stories.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stretch
Member # 91

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Stretch   Email Stretch         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL... You guys are pansies when it comes to the worst smells... (J/K of course)

Some of you guys may know I worked in Animal Control for 15 years here in my City... Well, anytime the police went in on a dead body (or any other call with animals involved) they were required to call us. I went on several calls where people had died, swollen up and busted and have to be within inches of the body and fluids from the leaking cadavers.

Anyway, on one such call, an old lady had passed away, and she had a dozen cats in her apartment, with no family and few friends no one missed her when she died in her sleep. So she was in her bed for several days before the neighbors complained of the odor. When I was called in to round up the cats, I had to chase them, as all the commotion had them scrambling from thier own shadows.

I was down to my last 2 cats and I had one confined in her bedroom with the door shut and was trying to stay as far away from the ladies body as possible when I figured out I had no choice but to get the cat as it went under her bed. As soon as I got on my knees to snare the cat it ran to the other side of the bed and decided to run across the old ladies body, when it did, I had come up from my all fours position at the same time the cat was on her body and he had to jump over me to keep from running into me.

When he jumped his claws punctured her skin on her belly and a fine stream of fluid squirted on my face, at which time I immediately began puking, and the only thing the police officers could do is laugh at me as I heaved my balls up. This had to be the worst smell EVER!!!! It seemed like I could smell it for months after the incident. And even now (some 7 years later) if I sniff long enough I can still catch a whiff of the stench... [Confused]

Edit for spelling.

[ August 21, 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Stretch ]

--------------------
If practice makes perfect,
and no one is perfect,
then why practice?

Posts: 22 | From: Dallas, TX. US | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 09:02 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Stretch
WOW! [Eek!] I'll bet memory alone brings up a good vomit. I actually think I've read enough now. [Wink]

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Embalmer
PAKMAN
Member # 232

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 10:07 PM      Profile for Embalmer   Email Embalmer         Edit/Delete Post 
Until you have smelled the smell of burning humanflesh you aint smelt nuthin! And believe me on this one boys.

Decomps are bad as mentioned above in the cat story. BUt burnt human flesh is worse and once you smell it you will NEVER forget that smell.

But in my line of work I have smelled more bad oders then one person should ever in an entire life! lol
Comes with the territory I guess. You get used to all the bad smells. It sounds like a joke but you do.

You wanna talk about bad smells boy doI got stories and you dont wanna hear em lol

[ August 21, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Embalmer ]

--------------------
Proud member of California State Varmint Callers Association
Check us out @ www.csvca.com

Posts: 7 | From: SoCal | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Embalmer
PAKMAN
Member # 232

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Embalmer   Email Embalmer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Stretch, been there done that buddy. To many times unfortunately. I used to be the one they would call to remove the person from the place of death after a week in a closed apartment in the middle of summer in California in 105 degree heat.

Anyways, heres a tip........

Vicks vapor rub under the nose. I thought it was a joke until I saw a cop doing it on a decomp removal then I tried it and it works like a charm.

--------------------
Proud member of California State Varmint Callers Association
Check us out @ www.csvca.com

Posts: 7 | From: SoCal | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 03:32 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
You beat me to it... Yup... I carry a small tube of vics vapor rub in my hunting gear alllll the time. Well everyone else might be gagging up a stomach or two, I just get into my work. That stuff is the best ever! My daughter heard of that method when she was studying forensics and I've used it ever since [Wink]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 05:11 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
As a former EMT, the odor that gets to me the worse is the combination of body odor, alcohol, and blood. It's worse with certain races of people.

Decomposing human flesh would run a close second.

Consider that I am a trapper and work with decomposing flesh in the form of baits and roadkilled deer every day.

Blood, alcohol, and body odor is a nasty combination.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 05:51 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no odor that compares to that of a decomposing human body in an enclosed room. I have had to throw prefectly good suits away because there seems to be nothing that will kill the odor.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 06:19 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit guts. Man do they reek!
Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
WolverineAtWork
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 07:28 AM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a little boy that'll fill a diaper w/ an odor that'd make all the above situations smell like a walk through the Bath and Body shop.
 -

We've gotta tip the garbage man heavily just so he'll keep stopping at our house.

Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Buker
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 05:32 PM      Profile for Randy Buker   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Buker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the local fire department. One cold night an old man had cold feet so when he went to sleep, he put a heat lamp under his blankets by his feet. Caught fire to the bedding first and then his house. Once we had the fire out, we found him laying next to his bed on the floor in the fetal position... Very burned and charred.

Not many of the guys could handle it so I helped bag him up. That smell was terrible.

I got home in the early morning and realized I had time to make a good breakfast for me and the wife and it would be done about the time she had to get up for work. Things were pretty much done so I went upstairs to awaken her. I sat on the bed too long telling her about the fire and such. When I got downstairs, the potatoes were burned. Guess what. Those potatoes were the worst smell ever. To this day I can't eat burned fried potatoes.

But, I can still handle burned people. Go figure.

Randy

--------------------
Hunting the Red Fox

www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308

Posts: 158 | From: Parkers Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 07:42 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Stretch, I used to do some work for a city's animal damage control and I was called on a couple occasions to houses where suicides had taken place to get domestic animals.

The one I remember as causing me to vomit until my throat bled, was when I walked into a house where a man had commited suicide by shooting himself in the head 5 days earlier (in June). The combination of decomposing human flesh and brain matter was impossibly overbearing.

Coyotes, badgers, mink glands, skunk essence are treats compared to brain matter. It's still something that can turn my stomach to think about.

[ August 23, 2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: WhiteMtnCur ]

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stretch
Member # 91

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Stretch   Email Stretch         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL The Vicks 44 was a required tool in my briefcase. When I would get to half a bottle I would go buy a new one. Scraping dead animals off the roads in August heat here in TX was extremely bad.

Speaking of worst calls WhiteMtnCur I had a suicide call on Christmas Day of 1989 where a guy shot his 3 daughters (ages 5, 7 11), his wife and he killed his 2 cats and his dog before killing himself (the coward bastard). I was called in on that call and just about freaked out over seeing the dead kids. It was the worst thing to witness ever, for me. The guys tongue was stuck to the ceiling. He used a .12ga to do his work and it definitely was enough gun. The worst part about it was it happened on the Christmas holidays. The childrens gifts were still wrapped and under the tree... [Frown]

It still baffles me as to why/how any human can harm a child!! Or that they feel they have to take someone with them when they kill themselves... [Frown]

God help them if I were to ever find someone hurting a child...

--------------------
If practice makes perfect,
and no one is perfect,
then why practice?

Posts: 22 | From: Dallas, TX. US | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I taught myself to be a good and careful skinner just because popping the gut on a coon turned my stomach.

The worst smells for me are probably during the Christmas holidays. Don't those girls in the front of the department stores know that some folks have allergies? Spraying me in the face with perfume is a good way to get cussed and yelled at. Walking into a place like Bed, Bath and Beyond simply sets my eyes nose and throat on fire.

A light mist of perfume on a woman is very enticing. But why do some people think they have to bathe in the cheap crap? My wife will drag me out of a long line is someone shows up drenched in that stuff. She thinks it's embarrassing if I get choked up and point out a person's hygiene problems in public.

Cigarettes have never bothered me, but I can't stand that crap they sell at Wal-Mart for 99 cents a gallon.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
posted by Stretch
"It still baffles me as to why/how any human can harm a child!! Or that they feel they have to take someone with them when they kill themselves...

God help them if I were to ever find someone hurting a child..."

Listen to what Jesus has to say about this issue:

"It would be better to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around the neck than to face the punishment in store for harming one of these little ones" (Luke 17:2)

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters