The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » The perfect conditions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The perfect conditions
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 5 posted August 03, 2003 08:37 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
If you were able to order up the best possible weather conditions, temperature, moon phase, barometric pressure, wind direction and speed, etc.. Weather conditions that you believe are ideal for calling coyotes. What would your picks be for your perfect day?

I realize this could vary depending on what part of the country you live in and what time of the year you do most of your calling. I want to hear what conditions you like for your part of the world and the time of year you do the majority of your calling. Thanks

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2003 09:11 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, given my druthers, I would ask for no moon, cool weather with a falling barometer and no wind. Winds here are normally light and variable but generally out of the south or the west. With a low front coming in winds are usually out of the east. We have different areas that we hunt according to wind direction and sun ,AM or PM. Those conditions mean more coyotes are going to be active longer through the day. Second on my list would be immediately after a light to moderate rain regardless of time or wind direction.
IP: Logged
howler
Knows what it's all about
Member # 197

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2003 10:07 PM      Profile for howler   Email howler         Edit/Delete Post 
No wind and cool 10 above or so

--------------------
Powder River let'r Buck

Posts: 53 | From: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2003 10:32 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze Howler. Maybe 10 above 50. Having been in AZ for so long, I've become a light-weight (Figuratively speaking).

Medium to light fog is really special. Not good for canera work, but winds are always calm, hearing is excellant and watching a coyote coming out of the fog is a slow motion experience I never tire of.

Calm with light snow falling is as good.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 05:10 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Immediately after a snow cover of about two inches. 10-20 degrees. No wind. Half moon to full moon. These conditions, you can hunt all night long. That's my kind of ideal [Wink]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 09:38 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
That's an excellent topic, Lonny. I agree with Crow Woman. I would also like a fresh, light snow on the ground(or a light rain too) and would like the temp around 30 degrees. Where I like to hunt it seems that Oct, Nov. and Dec. are the best times to hunt coyotes. The terrain should be high sage brush with gullies and open areas with lines of mesquite and at an altitude of between 1500 and 3000 feet. A slight wind blowing away from the light of the sun(if there is one) and I like a full moon for day hunting and no moon for night hunting. I'd also like this to be in a SECRET place in Arizona Leonard and I know about lol. (Y otros paraje caliente para coyotes en Mexico) [Big Grin] Good Hunting.

[ August 04, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 12 posted August 04, 2003 11:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The terrain should be high sage brush with gullies and open areas with lines of mesquite and at an altitude of between 1500 and 3000 feet. A slight wind blowing away from the light of the sun(if there is one) and I like a full moon for day hunting and no moon

Danny,
You write such relaxing words you almost sell me on AZ, which would make my hubby extremely happy!

Mrs. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 12:31 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't I tell ya Danny that you need to write a book? Your writing IS good [Wink]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 01:48 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't write for chit and you all know it lol. [Roll Eyes] Never could spell either. [Frown] Only thing I can do good is BS and even then nobody believes me. [Frown] So why I'am I wasting my time here? [Confused] Because it's fun lol. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Good Hunting.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice try Danny... now THAT was a BS post [Wink] Except for the part that it's fun, now that, I agree with [Wink]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2003 03:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh. So many different conditions. I just would have to list a few preferences, and if they should come together, that's a hunt to be remembered.

I like to hunt a new moon, day or night, doesn't matter, but a full moon is usually good for strictly day hunting. Strictly marginal on daylight stands because other factors are more important. In other words, I don't think moon phase is a highly significant factor, calling early morning, day in, day out.

I like a cold clear night, high pressure, temperatures 10º to 30º.

I prefer a light wind between five to eight MPH, over no wind, or winds over 15 MPH. Anything up to 15 is acceptable. Generally, wind is only a factor in the early evening, usually dying down, the later it gets. I strongly prefer a steady breeze, rather than gusty, or changing directions.

I like light snow flurries in the daytime, with a little ground fog. Coyotes are just as eagar in the middle of the day, as they are early and late.

At night, I strongly prefer to hunt immediately after the snow stops falling and the temperature drops.

Daytime hunting in a light rain is usually good for steady action, all day long. Heavy rain, I like to be ready for when it breaks. Same with heavy snow.

Some say a falling barometer, but I get a lot better action with a rising barometer. A cold snap causes the coyotes to get real hungry.

If hunting variable elevations, and it's snowing, I like to hunt below the snow line, because most coyotes will head downhill, just like the deer. You want action, hunt the valleys.

For the best hunting, (numbers) I think it's hard to beat September, in the high desert. Normal southwest conditions, November and December are as good as it gets.

You want a dead weekend, hunt in heavy cold rain, otherwise get some sleep....and be ready for when it stops.

That's all I can think of, put some of those conditions together and it's a multiplier effect.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 10:13 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies. I agree with Crow Woman about having a fresh skiff of snow on the ground. It sure makes the incoming coyotes easier to spot. To me, the contrast of a coyote coming to the call, over a snow covered landscape is a sight that I never get tired of seeing.

I like to have snow flurries through the night with clearing and cold temps arriving during the late night/early morning hours. With little or no wind. Maybe just a enough of a breeze so the wind can be predictable. I don't worry about the moon phase too much because if the conditions look good I'm going anyway.

[ August 05, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
John/Alaska
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 12:41 PM      Profile for John/Alaska   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was interested in everyone's replies. Good question Lonny. Seems that most prefer cold temps with a fresh snow and little if no wind. That's what I like too except I prefer temps below 10 or zero if there is snow and between there and 40 if there isn't any white stuff. Snow gets me wet at much above zero when I'm sitting in it plus when its colder it tends to be quieter for walking. Plus the humidity tends to rise as the temps go up making me feel colder. As far as moon phases I like a full moon at night only because of the added light we get from it here with our short days. We are loosing about 6 minutes of daylight a day now.
Posts: 62 | From: Tok Alaska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 04:14 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, In all due respect. I hate perfect conditions. They make for such lousy excuses.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Terry Hunter
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Terry Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Two inches of fresh snow.With a temperature of 10-30 degrees.A 5 mph wind if it blows from the same direction.No moon or a new moon.Cloud cover would be a plus.

My part of the country gets these conditions two or three times a year.

Posts: 132 | From: N. Middle Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
My idea of perfect hunting conditions require that two criteria be met - it's either Sunday or my day off. Once the wind changes to the north more than not, the suns sets around dinner time, and I don't break into a sweat walking from the house to my truck, I take whatever conditions present and go hunting. If I had my choice, I'd say daytime, morning, first day after a couple days of hellish cold north winds following a big Alberta Clipper coming through, slight winds (<10), snow optional. Around here, we get powder for about eight minutes, then the top thaws a little, refreezes and you can't walk a step without three townships knowing where you are by the "crunch, crunch, crunch" of your steps. It's nice to be able to see them better, but a heavy frost stirs them up more, me too.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
22-250
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2003 09:05 PM      Profile for 22-250           Edit/Delete Post 
Onecoyote,

What about this secret place in Az? I wonder if that the same place that Leonard shared with me and Rich last year?

--------------------
The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him and even the flea would desert him for a velocipede.

Posts: 108 | From: Longview, Texas, glad to be gone | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 06:00 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
22-250, I don't think so lol, then it wouldn't be a secert anymore. [Frown] To many places to go in Arizona without tapping the old honey-hole. [Wink]

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 08:37 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Danny, it done been tapped. [Razz]
IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2003 01:37 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who hunt in very cold conditions, 10 degrees or colder, have you noticed that coyote response seems to pick up later in the day? On a 'warmer' day the calling may slow down around 10a.m., but with bitter cold conditions, I've often found that coyotes are more responsive later in the day.

I haven't called enough during these conditions to form very solid conclusions, I'm just curious if others have had similar findings or not?

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters