The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Why do we hunt coyotes? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why do we hunt coyotes?
20t-n-t
Knows what it's all about
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 12:50 AM      Profile for 20t-n-t   Email 20t-n-t         Edit/Delete Post 
Every person that hunts these cagy old hunters has a motivating factor behind them. Why do you hunt coyotes? Some hunt them for sport, some for the challange, some for the fur or like me, strickly for revenge. LOL What is your motivating factor?

For me it all started when I was 6 almost 7, My grandfather was always hunting coyotes and fox. He said: They are hard on the phesant population.
Well that was enough for me and so I started hunting with my granfather, every chance I got.

My first coyote hunt was one I will never forget. This particular coyote was one that had been hunted before. Everytime we got within 1/4 mile of him he would flat out vanish into thin air. My grandfather said that this coyote was smarter than most people he knew and he was going to get him if it killed him. After deviseing a plan my grandfather and I got in the truck.

My grandfather droped me off and drove up on the hill. It was at this point that things went south. I had brought my ruger 10/22 with a weaver K8 on it. To make a long story short, I missed that coyote 11 times. I took more ribbing over that coyote and told myself that would not happen again, but it did. I may have come away from that hunt without bagging a coyote but I had been bit by the bug and 30+ years later I'm still hunting them!

so why do you hunt the coyote?

Slydog

--------------------
Teach a kid to hunt and fish and feed them for a lifetime......

Posts: 245 | From: Boise Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 03:37 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Slydog, I use to hunt for the trophy: deer, turkey, coyotes, bear always looking for that perfect trophy to display until one day I received a message. A man came to me, I will call him coyote. He said the coyotes have been talking about me. I asked him what they have been saying. He told me the coyotes call me "She who hunts for fun." I thought that was really nice but he explained further. He said that "She who hunts for fun" is meant that I am only out there for the kill and thrill that I am hunting for no purpose whatsoever but for blood.

So in turn, that is when I started researching the coyotes, and by researching, I spent countless time out there at night just watching, listening and observing their patterns and their way of life or survival. I started the art of calling and talking in their own language. My farm changed in a way. I noticed that their perimeters had changed. The ones that were the agressive trouble makers dared to attack and kill in front of me. But their were a few that would actually walk outside of me around me night after night after night never going after my cows. Just bordering and seeming to be respecting.

As time went on and my observing continued, I started to take only the coyotes that dared to cross my property line and go after my cows. I did not ever nor did I want to go after the ones that were just over that property line. Things changed for me in many ways. I even started blessing the coyotes that were taken in a kind of ceremony.

Shortly after changing my ways, that man, Coyote, came to me again and said he had another message for me. He said the coyotes were pleased and they renamed me "TopDog." I have taken the time to learn, understand and take out the trouble makers of the pack.

Many visions have followed since. This is my story, my belief, my way.

I'm in no way asking anyone to even comprehend this, what matters is that I have understood the messages that were sent to me. I'm just telling you "MY" answer to your question.

Da-Na-Ho
Crow Woman

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 06:24 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure why I hunt them. Them meaning coyotes, but I can say the same for all predators. It's not the fur and it's not the challange, [Confused] I've been there and done that before. It's something else and I can't put my finger on it, [Frown] maybe someone else can, Good Hunting.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 4 posted March 27, 2003 06:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to see tracks. I couldn't figure how they got there, as I had never actually seen the animals that made them. In a word: elusive. Mysterious; another good word.

Then I heard about calling these animals; I was stupified! The most amazing thing I've ever seen, and it never gets old.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 07:33 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny,
Maybe it has something to do with this sound http://pages.sbcglobal.net/barracudabob/_uimages/domainhowl.wav

I hope the link works. [Smile] The yippity yowl of coyotes has a way of getting a man just a little bit excited. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 08:22 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I hunt coyotes?FOR THE PURE PLEASURE OF IT. [Big Grin] GOOD HUNTING CO
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 08:33 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
My story closely parallels Crow Woman"s. One evening I was hunting at a waterhole. "Coyote" approached me and spoke, "What is it that you seek here, One With The Lolling Tongue?" "I seek the excitement of the chase, the thrill of the stalk, and the ultimate satisfaction of success", I replied. "Coyote" led me to it's den where I learned many secret ways of the coyote. The next day "Coyote" again approached me and spoke. "The other coyotes and I talked about you. From where the sun now stands and forever more you will be called "Tripod". In gratitude I saluted "Coyote". One day "Coyote entered the den and attacked me. As it tried to viciously rip my throat out I.... wait a minute... that was all my ex-wife. Never mind.
IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 09:27 AM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to see what they will do next.

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 09:27 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich Higgins....*THWAP!!!!!* I enjoyed the chuckle... hehehe May your armpits never be infested with a thousand fleas from Coyote.

Crow Woman

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

WolverineAtWork
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 09:32 AM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
Target shooting got old. You can only blow up milk jugs in so many ways, I found em all. I'd always wanted to become a hunter. I enjoy the outdoors immensely, enjoy just walking along in nature observing signs of "business as usual".

I chose predators after a good amount of research. It's one of the few challenging animals that doesn't require a tag in AZ. I bought my first call, sat down outside my house and called a coyote to 30 yards just outside street light range. We just sat there and looked at each other. I played every tune I knew on that PC3 and he just layed down and listened.

Since then, I've been fascinated with coyote behavior, movement, social life and response to human influence. I enjoy killing and skinning them, but I am just as satisfied calling them in and observing/filming them. I do it for that warm fuzzy feeling that tells you that you've communed with nature (and in some cases blown it away w/ extreme prejudice).

(On a side note, those who know me can attest that I've found a bigger and better way to blow up milk jugs.)
 -

[ March 27, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: WolverineAtWork ]

Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 09:39 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote hunting gets my juices flowing. Makes me feel ALIVE. A memory from my mispent youth, relived. A bitter cold morning, ice glistening in the sage tips, coyote stopped to cock it's head at me from 60 yds, glowing in the sun, my crosshairs painted accross it's chest, the smell of warming damp sage and burnt powder and gun oil and that ultra-addicting "whump" sound drifting back to me, the boundless optimism of a new day stretched out ahead that seemed like it might never end when I was younger. That's why.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't hunt anything that can't hunt me back.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite a nice essay, Dave. It should be a caption on a magazine cover. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Bomba
Member # 71

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Bomba           Edit/Delete Post 
Bomba hunt yellow dog because Chief say:

quote:
Soul of man best preserved the longer he avoid wife and list of things she want done.

Doug
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Doug           Edit/Delete Post 
Twenty years ago I trapped foxes for the fur check to the point that it was more work than fun. Now I hunt foxes and coyotes for the challenge and the pleasure it brings me. [Wink]
Doug

--------------------
My mountain cur thinks I'm God.

Posts: 69 | From: Northern Colorado | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2003 12:28 PM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Doggonit... I knew I'd take cr*p from that post! [Big Grin] Uhmmm... can I please blame it on the blonde hair dyes that have somehow penetrated my brain cells plus adding PMS(pleasing men syndrome) [Wink] Or how about we just talk about Danny looking ever so sexy in his pantyhose, control top, of course [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Bomba, you crack me up [Big Grin]

Crow Woman who's going back to eating worms to keep her mouth and fingers occupied [Frown]
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

20t-n-t
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2003 09:28 AM      Profile for 20t-n-t   Email 20t-n-t         Edit/Delete Post 
And " The first 10 years I hunted coyotes for fun, the last 20+ I been hunting them for revenge" [Mad]

Don't know why I like that so much but it is so damn true, it just fits. [Wink]

Smote the Yote [Big Grin]
slydog

--------------------

brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2003 09:45 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
How addicting, to be able to call an animal that I rarely see otherwise, to come running from 1/2 mile away, dirrectly at me, to within 30 or 40 yds. (or sometimes 8 ft.) to a sound I made, and have them at my disposal to do what I want and do it year round!? Man, I gave up fishing for this.

oc in controltops?...Tums [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2003 04:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Control tops? If Danny could gain twenty-five pounds, you could call him skinny. [Smile] LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Because they taste good!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 06:32 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard... Danny told me once that he prefers control tops because it give a nice roundness of his butt and the look of sleek slender sexy silky legs adding a uniform all over sexiness about him while it gives him the figure that any woman would kill for, donchaknow [Eek!]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Crow Woman

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 02:11 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Crow Woman, What the hell is a control TOP? [Confused] I thought it was the LOWER part we had to control [Roll Eyes] ..... Leonard, I stopped smoking 6 months ago and put on 40 lbs [Wink] .....20t-n-t, the first 10 years hunting coyotes I didn't learn much, the last 30 years the coyotes proved it [Wink] . I'm still thinking about control tops? I wonder if it is some kind of butt shaper hehehe, Good Hunting.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
20t-n-t
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 02:48 PM      Profile for 20t-n-t   Email 20t-n-t         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFLMAO,,LOL Now you guys stop now OK, You are going to make me sick. The picture is to clear in my mind.LOL [Wink]

Get back on topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yuckkkk [Confused]

Slydog

[ March 29, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: 20t-n-t ]

--------------------

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Varmint Rifle $800, Scope for said rifle $400, shotgun $450, used electronic caller $100, assortment of hand calls $200, hearing aids to compensate for hearing loss due to practicing distress sounds in the truck on the way back and forth to work $1200. The chance to see the smile fall from the coyotes face when he realizes you are not what you pretended to be…….Priceless.

I guess I better mention Mastercard so I stay out of trouble for borrowing their ad.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2003 05:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes. The cost of our passion. As Club hunters, we all began speculating one afternoon on what our little hobby set us back, annually.

After we listed the usual guns and scope and gear and special clothing (cold and warm weather), then we got into lost pay and vehicles. Did somebody say, gas?

The total could have bought a nice house in a better section of town.

Wish I had some of that money, right now.

Good hunting. LB

[ March 29, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters