The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Solar flare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Solar flare
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 09:44 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday, September 8, 2005; Posted: 7:36 a.m. EDT (11:36 GMT) • NOAA Space Environment Center
WASHINGTON

-- A large solar flare was reported Wednesday and forecasters warned of potential electrical and communications disruptions.

The flare was reported by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Environment Center in Boulder, Colorado.

Significant solar eruptions are possible in the coming days and there could be disruptions in satellite operations, electric power systems, high frequency communications and low-frequency navigation systems, the agency said.

"This flare is the fourth largest in the last 15 years. It erupted just as the ... sunspot cluster was rotating onto the visible disk of the sun," said Larry Combs, solar forecaster at the center.

The flare has already affected some high-frequency communications on the sunlit side of Earth, NOAA reported.

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
That was Bush's fault too.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 12 posted September 08, 2005 11:32 AM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there needs to be hearings held on this problem by an independent commission.
Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 11:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and my feet hurt. I want my $2000 electronically deposited. Bush don't care about white peoples.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31539 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 04:07 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell guys. get you're priorities straight. What about E-callers, and there remotes?.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2005 04:14 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, you accidently put the thread back on topic. [Big Grin] My point with this post was to warn of another possible crash of ATM's around the country. So many of them are using satellite controlled networking systems, we could have a repeat of the crash of a decade ago.
Don't let it happen again, OK? This IS a hijack free-fire zone, n'est pas?

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 10 posted September 08, 2005 05:09 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, you took the words out of my mouth. LOL>

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 03:42 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
The effects of the radiation storm are beginning to show up on Earth. An ongoing series of seven major solar flares, including two on Saturday, have started to disrupt communications on Earth.

Already satellites have been affected. There are reports of cell phone service disruptions in the L.A. area today. Even more serious effects are possible this week.

[ September 12, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 6 posted September 12, 2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
That must be what happened to the board last night. [Smile]
Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the only excuse they didn't use! Had they thought of it, I'm sure they would have used it. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31539 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 08:38 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA,

I think the effects must have hit down here on the Border today.

The computer in my truck uses a CDMA connection. ( Cell phone data line ) I had problems with it all morning. Constantly either lost the connection, or it just faded out.

The Border Patrol landed a helicopter in my driveway this morning, It took a full 15 minutes to download the text only message from my wife, and a full 20 minutes for my response to send. ( I gave up and called her before then )

Talk about a stressful time. My busiest time at work all day, I first got a message from her that a helicopter was sweeping back and forth over the property around the house. I wrote back telling her to load her gun and lock the doors and let the dogs handle anything outside. The message wouldn't send, the cell phone wouldn't hold a signal long enough to make the phone ring and when I got though on the radio phone, she didn't answer because she was outside taking pictures of an Agent getting picked up.

I was heading North when I got a note from her telling what happened, and that all was well.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
22-250
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 09:42 PM      Profile for 22-250           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that these solar flares could cause the coyotes to become zombies. They will start attacking predator hunters. Once bitten, the hunter becomes more zombies attaching more victims. These solar flares are really scary.

--------------------
The coyote is a living, breathing allegory of Want. He is always hungry. He is always poor, out of luck and friendless. The meanest creatures despise him and even the flea would desert him for a velocipede.

Posts: 108 | From: Longview, Texas, glad to be gone | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2005 02:27 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Just be thankful for the ozone layer in the atmosphere. Without it, the radiation from those solar flares would puff your brain like a marshmallow in a microwave oven. [Eek!]
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always suspected that radiation from (massive) solar flares is what extincted the dinosaurs.
That was Bush's fault too.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7620 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack Roberts
Member # 13

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2005 09:45 PM      Profile for Jack Roberts   Email Jack Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
"That was Bush's fault too."

Absolutely, he did that to support big oil.

Jack

[ September 15, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Jack Roberts ]

Posts: 499 | From: Elko NV formerly MD | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters