The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » What's Up With Les Johnson Losing His Sponsor (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's Up With Les Johnson Losing His Sponsor
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2008 05:37 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I didn't think I'd stir the hornets nest quite that much! [Big Grin]
But I still maintain that a missed coyote is an educated coyote and that makes it worse for all of us. I'm sticking to my guns. I still hate misses. I hate them on video. I hate them by someone else, and most of all I hate them by me. Of course I miss a coyote occasionally. I missed one coyote twice this year. I missed once, my dog brought him back and I missed again. Both times at 100 yds or so. It was my own stupidity. I had been doing some long range shooting with my turret and hadn't clicked it back down. Thats my miss for the year I hope.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2008 06:59 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't kidding when I said I wished I could shoot as consistanley well as you. Man, if I could figure a way to make a living out in the sticks, I'd be shooting darn near every day.

Has your coyote snuck off yet? I guess the coypuppies never happened, huh? I told my kids that they didn't happen. They were mucho el bummed outo.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2008 08:10 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my most memorable hunts, involved misses, sometimes a lot of misses. By both myself and others.

One that really stands out in my mind, was when two guys, both normally excellent shots, fired 15 rounds, all inside of 50 yards. I think it was about the 13th or 14th shot that finally hit him, ( in the hips, ) and I ended up running him down and making the killing shot with a handgun. ) I wasn't there to hunt, just guide and call for the other two. )

I don't mind a missed coyote too much, I hate to have one wounded and not recovered.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 12:07 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me among the haters... as rarely as I get to shoot at a coyote, it fully pisses me off, to miss.

I hate it as much, or more, when my partner misses, since I like it so much more when they don't.

And I dislike predator hunting videos, in general, but watching someone blow an opportunity I don't have, and then joke it up about it, is excruciating.

Nothing against this Les fella, though... I don't even who he is?

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 07:59 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate seeing a coyote missed, whether its me shooting or someone else. I actually find myself frustrated when watching a video and they seem to show as many misses as hits or bad hits on fairly easy shots. I don't have many videos, but part of the reason I buy one now and again is to watch people who can shoot well and know how to handle a rifle on a coyote stand. I really enjoy watching a guy who swings up a rifle smoothly and a second or two after the incoming coyote stops its dead.

Another thing that gets my goat with some of the videos I've seen is when a perfectly good shot is passed up to get another ten seconds of video. Just shoot the damn thing when it stops and its inside of 100 yards! I'd sooner see a 60 minute video with 10 well-made shots rather than watch a 60 minute video with 30 killed where most kills look like a circus.

One thing I've noticed when watching some hunting shows is how it looks like the hunter is shooting a rifle for the first time. They look down to chamber a round. When the safety comes off it looks like they aren't sure which direction it needs to go. In short, it reminds me of when my son started shooting and he needed to think through every motion before firing a shot.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 09:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, Lonny! That there describes my attitude exactly. It drives me nuts to see a coyote stand there, while the cameraman and shooter get in sync. I'm always worried that they are going to dink around and lose the coyote. If you have not seen DAA's video, you should. I'm the same way about videos, kinda lukewarm, but between him and his partner they make some efficient kills, and some damned good running away shots.

I watched one of Les' videos, and it's good, too. But, the only predator hunting video that put me to sleep was Vern Howey(?) He might know a lot and killed a ton of coyotes, but he doesn't show the enthusiasm that Les Johnson displays, in his video.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31479 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing I've noticed when watching some hunting shows is how it looks like the hunter is shooting a rifle for the first time. They look down to chamber a round. When the safety comes off it looks like they aren't sure which direction it needs to go. In short, it reminds me of when my son started shooting and he needed to think through every motion before firing a shot.
I'm just taking a wild guess here, but maybe that's because the shot sequence of the video is re-enacted after the shot then edited back in. I've wondered the very exact same thing when I see the shooter very obviously (almost announcing) the fact that he is clicking the saftey off just right before the shot. LOL I always wonder if that safety is really just being clicked off for the first time an instant before the shot.

[ September 19, 2008, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

J. Piatt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2827

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 01:59 PM      Profile for J. Piatt           Edit/Delete Post 
Heres one for you guy's..This was my first miss last year, as ya see I re-couped and got my shit back together, real quick.. I hate missing too, especially when we are filming, here in the east it's not like we have opportunity after opportunity.

photobucket miss

JD

Posts: 35 | From: ohio | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice recovery Mr.Piatt

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2008 02:23 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like you much prefer the hard shots Mr. Piatt! [Smile]

[ September 19, 2008, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 07:56 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I love watching predator videos. I really don't care about who the "star" is. Whether they call them in and kill or miss them is secondary. I like to watch coyotes, being coyotes.
I recently purchased "Going to the Dogs". Great video. One of the most interesting videos out there.
When it's raining out and there is nothing or no one to do, it passes the time. Most are good.

[ September 22, 2008, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: smithers ]

IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2008 09:54 PM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe because most of my hunting is done here at home in Southeast and Northeast Pennsylvania makes me feel a little different from some,, My true thought are, I don't need to kill anything, I get enough out of it by just trying, Now let me say this also, I don't go out to miss, but if I do! I just look at it this way, there is always next time.
Maybe it's because I don't come from a state that feels the pressure of coyote predation. And to me the fur ant worth the time it takes to sell it,or does anyone in my state call and kill enough coyote to justifies there expense for hunting them .If your a caller here in PA you cant kill enough in my area to make it worth your wild.
If your finding your self in a area where the predation is high or your subsidizing you income with the harvest of fur or getting paid for just eliminating predators or your protecting yours or a friends live stock and that your case,, I would also hate to see misses [Mad] But I have to say If am out calling and a miss accurse, so be it , lots of times the misses and the joking around after words is what I hope to still remember as time goes on. So to me, living where I do, calling in a predator to close range give me the rush I hunt for, and dropping the hammer is a extra, the excitement and adrenaline is gone no matter if the down range round finds or don't find its mark.
As for the videos ,, I think Less and other guys put out a product that the everyday hunter likes to see.and So the more the hunt on the video's simulates the averages hunters set up or experience the better,
misses and all!!Me being a everyday hunter thats what i like to see

everyone misses even me [Big Grin]
I guess what calling in and missing a predator can cost some guys in the future is what matters

[ September 22, 2008, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: George Ackley ]

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 12:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
in some cases, a ride back to camp.....

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
You'd make a partner walk back to camp for a "mist" coyote?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 12:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, maybe not? But, why risk it?

Good hunting. LB

edit: especially if he's having a big yuk yuk over it.

[ September 23, 2008, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 04:20 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL now I get it. I thought you're so danged serious you'd let a buddy walk if he missified. [Eek!]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, I don't think missing a coyote is a laughing matter. Yes, I have done it, but it ruins my whole day. And, in front of Vic Carlson, for instance, it hurts for years.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2008 10:23 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal that hasn't ever happened to you has it?? Guys we all miss its just part of the game. I've gotten to know les as a stand up guy and we all knew this was coming. Les will deal with the anti's and want a be's as they come but in all we are just after the ever lasting coyote

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 02:52 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
If you miss odds are your getting a second chance at a running coyote, the faster he/she runs and the further it get's out the more error there will be. I find it a big differance in missing standing facing/broadside coyotes versus those coyotes on the run.

Everyone misses, the more time one has at a stationary object the better one can judge range,wind and shoot, speed up either the shot or the critter and things will change for sure.

I don't like to miss either and I find I take it to hard at times, but we all miss plain and simple keeping your misses as low as we can is what all should strive for. Good equipment, good loads, alot of practice and just knowing coyotes traits more and more makes us all better shots.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard my friend, that little tidbit would have went with me to my grave , but for the fact you told on yourself:)
Truth be told, that one was a pretty good poke along with a bit of a hot breeze, and you using a new rifle. Rest assured, there are plenty of keyboard coyote callers over on PM that would be tickled shitless to have killed as many coyotes as you have probably missed.
If I worried about the misses I have made over the years, I'd be an insomniac. I bet I don't fuss for more than two minutes after missing a cinch shot, Im usually laughing about it on the way back to the truck. Thats the beauty of this tremendous sport.....there's always another one around the next stand:)

Posts: 1631 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pilgrim on Earth
Member # 314

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 05:11 AM      Profile for Pilgrim on Earth   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, in front of Vic Carlson, for instance, it hurts for years.

Try showing up with an AR15 (in front of Vic Carlson). He gets more mileage out of the words "upper" and "lower" than a hippy does.
Posts: 54 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 09:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm? I would have thought Vic too much of a purist, to sit a stand with someone using an AR?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 01:06 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Purist you say? Naw, more like practical. Im left handed, so I always sit to my partners right, because of how one normally cradles a rifle on stand, righties usually hold a rifle on their lap, muzzle quartering to the left,lefties, just the opposite. I alway pay close attention to these matters, for I just don't care for a muzzle angling my way.
In the case of a guy wanting to weild one of those black plastic bullet delivery systems or an auto blunderbuss, I for sure don't want them sitting anywhere near me, hot brass or hulls flying in or near my face pisses me off!

Posts: 1631 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 06:22 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
The tiny bullets from seventeen's miss massive targets like coyotes?
Hotdog in a hallway...

How do you guys feel about wounded animals? That's gotta piss all of you off, especially when someone says, "Oh well".

IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters