The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » When will you quit? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: When will you quit?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 11:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When does the season end, for you? Is it variable, or is there a date on your calendar that you honor?

I have to admit to stretching my season the past few years. By the middle of January, (and, it is the middle of January) I have usually wrapped it up after a long and arduous contest season. Typically, my last hunt would be the daylight hunt scheduled for sometime in January. But, I don't hunt very many contests any more. But, I still like to Whack 'em and stack 'em.

So, what motivate you? Are you flexible? Do you get tired of all that killing?

Your thoughts?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 12:13 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I just turned 70 today, and I must admit that the excitement of the hunt is seriously waning. Having said that, let me also tell you that I call and kill coyotes whenever I feel like it. Coyote season is always open, and mild weather is best time for me. I have a question I would like to ask, and even though it is off topic, here it comes.------
Is Leonard a pin head or a Patriot?

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, you old fossil!

Pinhead or patriot? I'm reasonably sure it depends on who you ask. Now, what about Cronk?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 01:50 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Bday Rich!

Sort of the end of February for me. Although right now Im concentrating on kitty cats instead of coyotes. Maybe a grey fox thrown in here and there.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW...I have slowed down and am taking it easy last few seasons, not getting hung up on numbers. Im trying to have fun at this, anymore,I dont relish the feeling that I have to go out and put a certain amount of fur in the truck to feel successful.

Mark

[ January 16, 2011, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 03:00 PM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll quit when I'm dead...

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 03:21 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
about the end of Feb. for me, might go the first weekend of March if it's nasty cold and snowy..

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy B Day Mr. Cronk!!!

This is the second season a lot of our recreational callers have been figthing deep snow and limited ability to get even close to calling areas without some type of tracked vehicle. We have no plowed roads or trails in many areas so it shuts down a lot of people early. Even the dog hunters are almost shut down. So much for the recreational calling harvest or private trapper take.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
the bearhunter
HM PROSTAFF & MIDWEST REGIONAL GURU VOTED MOST HANDSOME MINNESOTAN
Member # 3552

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 05:20 PM      Profile for the bearhunter           Edit/Delete Post 
damn sick of this snow but will keep pluggin away till march
Posts: 1049 | From: minnifornia | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 05:46 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy Roede,
I didn't think that you would let a little bit of snow stop ya. Getting a little soft are ya? [Wink]
We have been lucky here. We can still get through the fields with 4x4 pickups. Last year at this time, it was snow shoes or stay home.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
The question for me is more like, when do I start. I bet I haven't shot more than a dozen coyotes this year, probably the worst year Ive had in 30 or more. My usual average is between 75-100, some years a few more, some a few less, but this one just has me doing to much stuff to get out as often I would have liked to.
Ive got maybe two more short hunts to go on, then it's time to quit, usually end of Feb Im done, or a weekend in early march.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 06:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Rich. [Big Grin]

Winding it down now. Will be done by the end of the month.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 06:12 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
80 degree temperatures are in the forecast for the next couple of days here and that takes some of the wind from my sails. However, I am participating in a couple of online contests that run into March, so I imagine I will keep at it to some degree until they wrap up.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 06:22 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I've got a trailer with a snowmobile behind everyday. leave the trailer at first light and find it again at dark. Cold SOB somedays but it's the only option. A lot of my country has nothing plowed to get close. I would still rather have the cold and snow than that 100 degree stuff!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2011 06:51 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Putting together enough field time to support a dozen or more articles, coming up with new ideas to write about and following up on them enough to put them on paper takes a wee bit more time than what the average guy would think. LOL From mid-October to the end of February, calling is my second job, and bless my wife's heart for never complaining a bit.

It's mid-January, I'm behind on two deadlines with one of them due yesterday, my freezers are full of deer capes that need my attention for taxidermy, I have standing orders for calls that I'm not currently making, my business books and tax crap aren't even near ready to go to the accountant and burn out is slowly creeping up on me. Well, truthfully, burn out is right behind me whacking me on the head with a stick, but calling is an addiction - like smoking - and as much as I know what I need to be doing, I'd much rather be out in the snow killing stuff.

End of February and I'm very ready to take a break before spring pups start the phone ringing again.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2011 01:50 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on one more Nevada run for a few days the first week in February.Then a couple of short hunts to get me thru February here in Utah,then I'll hang it up until the last part of October or First part of November.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2011 05:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Much like Vic , not a lot of hunts this year been a real wierd year for me. Havent killed enough coyotes this year to fill a pick- up.
Clint and I will hunt the White Mountain contest in Feb. and that will do it for me this year.

If I get the urge and have the time and resources we need to kill alot of coyotes in our antelope units up north and I will happily kill them till June. They are decimating the pronghorn population.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2011 07:43 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Mid Feb will do it for me.

3 more contests this season.

Snow goose season opens the Monday after my last contest. After that its all white geese. till end of March. Then onto turkeys!

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2011 08:07 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never gotten tired of killing coyotes or most anything for that matter, but I generally stop calling come March except around the little antelope herd by my fort. They take a beating every spring and I along with the ADC guy that also works this area at least try to help them little speed goats out.
Happy birthday Rich.
This year has been a strange one for calling around here. Seems everywhere I go to call I find tracks in and out of all the places I do call. Mostly locals calling I suspect as we have a jillion coyote hunters that live here. And every year I come across some new guy with his Foxpro out to decimate our educated coyotes. And all this in a county that has less than 10,000 people in it out in the middle of no where.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2011 06:15 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
No quit in me.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2011 06:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually around the end of Feb. Sometimes a little bit earlier, sometimes a little bit later.

Snow was really kicking my ass the last couple times out. I hate shoveling that vile white stuff just to get the vehicle rolling again. I hate the crunchy noise it makes. I hate post holing every step I take. Older I get, the more I hate it, too. Could travel to escape it, but don't feel real motivated. It's getting close to Jeeping/exploring/camping/hiking season for me so if I take a multi-day trip right now, it would probably be to do that. So I might be pretty much done for this year already...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2011 08:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but do we still have a proposal on the floor, or no? If so, it should be sooner rather than later. As Western Regional Hunt Director, you will be giving up all your choice spots, you know?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CatTracker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3526

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2011 01:30 PM      Profile for CatTracker           Edit/Delete Post 
I will hang it up when the fur starts to degrade which usually starts around the end of January for my area but so far they aren't rubbing yet.
Posts: 38 | From: NM | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 6 posted January 18, 2011 03:14 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I've only been out a few times this year so "hanging it up" is kind of a misnomer...

Deer season just went out and it's 24hr now for coyote until mid February. Depending on how much snow we get between now and then will determine if I get out to hunt. Supposed to be around -2 tomorrow night with 3-5 more inches of snow. That should make for hungry coyotes!

Breeding season usually starts a little later here than on the western side anyway! [Big Grin] [Razz]

IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not gonna hang it up until my balls can't handle the weight of my body sitting on them anymore.
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters