The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Howling question (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Howling question
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 02:37 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Why do coyotes howl in response to sirens?
IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 02:52 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Beats the heck out of me, but I know they do. A few years back I had a cassette tape of a blaring siren. Lit the coyotes up like a light switch.

My lease was/is a couple miles from a train track. When trains travel through, they lay on the whistle as they are starting up a grade. Every coyote in the neighborhood howls in repsonse.

Odd thing is it only works at night.
Day trains galore, whistles out the wazzoo -- no howling.

What gives?

[ June 23, 2005, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: The Outdoor Tripp ]

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 02:52 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it hurts there ears?

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rob
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Rob   Email Rob         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like another coyote howlin.

--------------------
"Where did all these #$%^&* Indians come from?" Gen. George Armstrong Custer

Posts: 224 | From: Clancy Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Because they can't sing.

Why do coyotes howl period?
Because they don't know the words.

What'd I win?

How do you get a coyote to stop whining?
Give him your cat.

Where's a snare drum when you need it?

[ June 23, 2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 03:09 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay,

A laminated Huntmasters Certificate.

Please contact Leonard.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich.
You had to know it would happen.
I can hear you chuckling clear over on my side of town.

Why did the Coyote cross the road?
(Chicken's day off.)

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 03:26 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Circa 1964.

My Dad & two of his friends went out to Creighten Nebraska vicinity, to hunt coyotes.With their sight-hounds

They came across two coyote hunting groups.
1st-group used sight-hounds.
2nd group used open top 4X4's & ball bats.

Both groups, attested to locating coyotes 1st by useing "Roller Sirens"{hand-cranked}

I believe coyotes, think it's another canine.

[ June 23, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also heard pet house dogs howl to sirens and trains...Would be interesting to know why..
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay,

I was driving the family out for fast food the other night, going down the main drag in the middle of town when cars start slamming their brakes on. A damned chicken, old grey hen, was strutting across five lanes of traffic. A lot of us were wondering what the hell she was doing at the moment.

The small town I was raised in had a noon whistle every weekday when they fired the tornado sirens for one cycle at straight up noon. Every dog in town would howl back. Where I live now does the sdame thing for five minutes every Tuesday at noon to test tornado warning sirens. Dogs howling like crazy. From my vantage point, they seem to enjoy it as much as anything else. Sure don't look to be in pain.

We used to use sirens on our dog wagons to run coyotes out of ravines. We switched them out and put two horns - one from a Ford and one from a Dodge- under the hood. The two pitches resonate so badly with one another they just made your teeth vibrate. They also did great at standing coyotes up in the grass because I think those horns did hurt their ears.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that some dogs howl in response to sirens....and some don't. Maybe it's the same with coyotes, sure, you get a response to a siren or horn and you probably think they are all lit up. Maybe they are, maybe not all of them?

Why do coyotes respond to a siren, even more reliably than they respond to a howl? Beats me, they don't even know, it's an automatic trigger.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
In Texas I know ranchers use sirens to call their cattle. Daily event. I think the coyotes get so used to the routine that they never bother to respond.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Leonard, that something trips in the coyotes brain and makes it howl in response to a siren or other loud shrill sound even at considerable distances. They can't help themselves because its their nature to respond to something that sounds like another coyote.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I always heard it was the pitch of the sound.

I know they howl here all the time at trains, I can hear them from the house about every night. But they wont answer a howler from my house anymore. [Big Grin]

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
A chemical in the brain is released and "they just cant help themselves". Major Boddicker
Steve

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 10:42 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve. I think Major has a good point about the chemical release. I believe it is like us laughing. It is involuntary response to a stimuli in the brain.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Tough question at best. Why? I don't know. But they do respond, but not always. And there is a difference in sirens. They respond better to some brand names than others. I suppose due to slightly different tones? And the speaker makes a difference.

Q. Why do they DO anything?

A. Becasue they're coyotes.

Q. Why do they not DO some things some of the time?

A. Because they're coyotes

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 12:44 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to my earlier post, I'm now starting to wonder whether or not I've ever heard the coyotes on my lease go off to daytime train whistles.

I want to say no, but the more I think about it, it wouldn't make sense. Now I'm not certain either way. Guess I'll have to pay closer attention my next visit.

Does lack of daytime response make sense to any of you guys?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my two cents worth on it..How often do you hear one dog bark in the day time and every dog around starts barking..Not real often i suppose..But let one leave out a Howl or bark at night and it seems every mutt for miles around will start and keep it up for hours!..I don't know if its the peak period for canine activity and it's been programed in them for thousands of years, for hunting,packing up or letting each other know where they are at..As you know,different packs or groups of coyotes will answere one another by howling at night..It also could have a little to do with a territorial thing...Who knows?I'm just giving my thoughts on the subject.

[ June 26, 2005, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

bearmanric
Member # 223

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 01:48 PM      Profile for bearmanric   Email bearmanric         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do Turkey's shock gobble at the weirdest thing's kinda the same thing. i to have coyote's howl at my house with the train's. there's a new call. we should tape a train there's a new sound. Rick [Confused]
Posts: 78 | From: Tenino Wash. | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 01:49 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago, I was sitting in the Trout Creek Hot Springs in Ore. (after dark) during a snow storm drinking wine, smoking a good cigar and playing my harmonica. I had coyotes howling all of the way back to Burns. I don't know why they howl, but I'm glad that they do. It made that hunt one to remember.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember trapping some beaver one day. I was a half a mile from a pretty busy set of train tracks. It seemed one went though every few minutes, and due to a local road crossing, they all hit their horns.

Each time I'd stop and listen for coyotes, as the surrounding area look to be great for holding them. I never heard a one coyote.

I finished getting my traps set and was walking back to the truck when a train must have got a stop signal, as he hit his brakes. That high pitched squealing of brakes lit up the coyotes in all directions of me. They'd been there all along, they just didn't howl to the whistle..

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 08:52 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, "habituation" would explain the first events and "startle response" would explain the latter.
Both events typify the behaviors that govern coyote vocalization response.
Each of the previous posts is good for discussion by themselves. Hoping for more. NASA?

IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
If i would compare the answeres to target shooting,i would say you hit the bulls eye with a double.

Startle response,unlike turkey,could lead to a lot of questions and discussion in itself.

This is a very interesting topic,Rich

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2005 06:42 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
For sirens, I think it's just a instinctual reflex to something in the distance that could be associated with a howl.

http://www.carson-mfg.com/sc-550-stealth.asp

Scroll down the page and play the manual wav and the wail wav. Do they sound a little like a coyote howl. Probably.

Then try the yelp, phaser, air horn hilo/two tone. Do they sound sonewhat like a coyte howl. Probably not.

Dennis

[ June 27, 2005, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters