The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » Where's the best place to buy a FJ Cruiser? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where's the best place to buy a FJ Cruiser?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2019 07:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta do something. My truck is old. I need some kind of a dual use vehicle for going to Costco and for venturing onto the dirt occasionally. Is the solution online?

I'm used to buying new, I don't want to get stuck with someone's lemon.

Any ideas?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31269 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2019 02:50 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Online is about all I'd know to do if looking for something in particular like that.

Every used vehicle I have ever bought, was from someone I knew, or at least something I heard about from a friend of a friend type deal.

But, yeah, specifically wanting an FJC, barring unreasonable good luck, I think online is all you got.

I do know they go for more than they should, so be prepared for that.

A 4Runner would be a heckuva lot easier to find, and I "think" you would actually like one of those better. If for nothing else than the size of the tank and the range - get used to carrying five cans if you want to venture very far in an FJC. More room, no suicide doors so easier to use that room and get at your stuff in the back, bigger tank, lots more of them out there.

But, for that matter, if a 4Runner is on the table, you shouldn't ignore the GX470 either. They tend to be almost always unmolested and well serviced. Have seen some good deals scored on them.

When I bought my Landcruiser, I ended up with the LX470 instead of a "Toyota" for just those reasons. That, and somebody I knew was selling one, ha-ha-ha!

The FJC is more fun and a tad more capable in the dirt in stock form than the 4Runner/GX470 though. At least, some of them are, depending on options. But they can be found with part time transfer cases and rear lockers. You'll pay up for one like that though and finding one that hasn't been molested will take patience or luck.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2019 03:09 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all the guys I regularly do off road stuff with are Toyota guys. I have led trips with 15 rigs and mine the only Jeep. But, only one of them drives and FJC.

This one.

-

Heavily molested.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2019 08:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got a bug up my ass. FJ Cruisers, I went in this place and they had one in Oxnard and one in Las Vegas. looking on the 'net. So I drove a Cayenne and an Infinity QX60. Bought the Infinity, they were both 2018's. So, if you got some negatives to lay on me, be gentle because it's sitting out in the driveway right now. Actually, they did say I have 7 days to give it back. So driving home, I saw another Infinity SUV but it was a QX70, looked the same though. I thought between the two vehicles, they both handled the same but I wasn't impressed with the brakes on the Porsche.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2019 04:26 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I know absolutely nothing, nadda, zippo about cars like that.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted May 02, 2019 07:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither? Maybe I'll learn. However, it's not something I would be wanting to get those cool Arizona Pin Stripes on it, so at least it's better suited for hustling chicks than as deep cover dirt. I still got the Titan anyway.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS Now, why is it that I can't seem to pull the trigger on a Toyota product? I bought my first Nissan Truck in 1969 and have studiously avoided Glocks and Toyotas ever since. I thought I was over it, but guess not?

edit: PPS This place I bought from is called CarMax. Kind of a big operation, they had over 1000 vehicles on the lot, all slightly used. I was leery, but I will say this, they got their shit together, they drove me to the bank and afterwards delivered the car to the house. Imagine this: they have 100 salesmen at this location! It definitely looked like an election night call center or something, big friggin' operation.

[ May 02, 2019, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2019 02:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I sure found out that these so called luxury vehicles come with a bunch of bells and whistles. I'm going to be lost for a while, need to get out the manual and study for the final. I don't know how much time I spent just adjusting the seat and steering wheel. A lot. There is a lot to be said for simplicity. But, all in all, I can get used to it. It's comfortable to drive.

I thought I wanted an FJ Cruiser until I found out it's a quest to find one without the BS of bringing one in from out of state, and it is because they might have to be smoged or something. Some California laws, I don't know but after 30 minutes, I started to lose interest in what's not here to actually evaluate and kick the tires. Screw it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2019 05:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit, that I started looking for an off road capable vehicle but was turned off by the scarcity of FJ Cruisers, so my criteria became 4wheel drive SUV's. Well, this car doesn't really belong off the pavement, hell, it has so much shit I still haven't figured out most of it. How have I gotten along to this point without a BACK UP CAMERA? All I can say again is that it will be easier to charm women, than in my beat up pickup. It's not what I had in mind when I crossed those three lanes and exited the freeway, but it's easy to drive, comfortable I guess I mean? Live and learn.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2019 08:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suddenly thought of Subaru. Don't they make offroad capable vehicles? A little too late. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2019 08:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, they don't.

Good cars though. I had one for a long time. But off road capable? Surely you jest?

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2019 09:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure it was more than 20 years ago, deer hunting in northern Colorado, and I remember now, it was my 1980 Nissan 4WD pickup. But there we were down the worst "road" you could imagine, it was like those "moguls" they build for the olympics, hard to imagine it was a natural feature but there we were navigating downhill for quite some distance and it was a total BITCH! Right at the bottom where it leveled out and turned the corner around the base of this mountain, there sat a friggin' Subaru! No other way in so he had to have come down the same way I did. Never forgot that!

And, you say I surely jest? Maybe, but baring a helicopter drop, I was gobsmacked to see that little car down in that mess.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: sudden thought: Maybe it's still there, considering the climb out. I've yet to see a "road" quite like that one.

[ May 06, 2019, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 06, 2019 11:18 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, I've pushed a Subaru further off road than any Subaru has any business being. Very, very few people alive have pushed any Subaru further past it's limits than I have.

Nope. Not offroad capable.

If a Subaru was there, it really wasn't shit for your Nissan. You may have thought it was. But it wasn't.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2019 06:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you da boss. But, for instance, a Suburban wouldn't have made it down that hill, due to the wheelbase. That particular '80 Datsun truck was the best offroad vehicle I have ever owned. Not saying there aren't better, just the most capable I have ever had. But, again, that's not my objective, to challenge the dirt.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2019 06:40 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, was that a Datsun branded truck, or one of the early "hard body" Nissans?

I remember there seemed to be at least a couple different names and brands on exactly the same trucks running around right about then.

I took my Subaru lots of places most people wouldn't believe possible. It would surprise people, for sure. But... A regular diet of that meant also a regular diet of replacing CV joints and half shafts, hubs, ball joints, and clutches. And I mean a REGULAR diet of replacing those parts.

I got so fast at replacing half shafts and clutches on it, it was kind of ridiculous.

Good car though. Not it's fault I tried to make it be something it wasn't.

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2019 07:33 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Every old hippie that lives in the mountain towns around here has a Subaru. They venture down a couple times a year. They are generally the old tree hugger types that have given up and seperated themselves from society...for which Im not sure I can blame them. But all Subaru everywhere.

Back in the late 90's I bought a new Toyota 4x4 truck. Loved it. One day I went up turkey hunting and decided to push up the hill a bit more where there was still snow. The roads were still closed but if you lived past the"closed road" sign you could go on thru. I followed a little Subaru car up past the sign and hit the snowy roads. That Subaru ran away from me, then I got to the point that I just couldnt make any headway, so I turned it around. That Sooby had 19 more miles to go to the mountain town up ahead, and you could see it just hauling ass up the side of the mountain. Ive always been impressed by that....but still wouldnt buy one.

Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2019 07:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah? I'm not sure, Dave? Seems to ring a bell though? It definitely said Datsun on the tailgate. I liked that truck but it was sandwiched between a Cad and a school bus and bent the frame. I would have loved to have them fix it but Insurance totaled it, case closed.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Lone Howl, I think I have seen that guy. Gray Ponytail?

edit: also, not inclined to actually buy one.

[ May 07, 2019, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2019 08:17 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Love those little 4x4 trucks, I bought a new Mazda B2600 shortbed in 1990 and I drove the hell out of that thing. Beat it from day one. Ended up getting almost 300,000 miles out of that little bugger. I really like my Nissan Titan a lot it has close to 200,000 miles but I have babied it a lot more than the Mazda. That truck went anywhere I decided to take it. With very little fixes.

Speaking of Subaru’s I remember several years ago Hunting the World Contest in Elko, we had pulled in for Check in and there was a Subaru in front of us and they had 7 or 8 Coyotes in a luggage type rack on top of the Car, My brother and I got quite a kick out of that.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1550 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 07, 2019 06:45 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
QX60 ? Don't know what one is ? sounds cool though. You made the decision LB. I'm sure it's right for you, or ya wouldn't have done it.

We bought a 2017 Mazda M6 Touring in March. I don't drive it much. Just figured out how to turn the radio stations.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2019 04:27 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an FJ cruiser I hate the suicide doors mostly at Walmart out hunting they are fine. when shopping I use the rear entry door. I'll leave that comment alone. The other two complaints are the rear and side vision as well as the seat height other than that I love it and it goes anywhere that my CJ would ! Only better ! Good luck It sounds like you found what you need ! As for resale I don't get it either mine is still at 90% of retail and its a 2007.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2019 06:59 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My 1st truck was an '87 Toyo std cab, 22R, 5spd. Sold it to a Haitian gent who was tickled to get it with ~240K.

2nd was an '88 Toyo, xtra cab, 22RE, 5spd. Sold that one with 199K to a Dominican gent who was similarly thrilled.

Both of those trucks were badazz little stompers, but suffered from rust issues. If not for that, I'd love to have either one of em back! With a nod to the xtra cab, for ease of sliding gear behind the front seats...

Couple years back. While elk hunting in CO, saw a local woodcutter come tooling up the mountain in his '85 Toyo. Man, it was CLEAN! We chatted some, and noted he had only 40 sumthin' K miles on it! What a super little mountain crawler, was happy to see one in such fine shape...

Mebbe one day, I'll get a hankering to find a mid 80s Toyo to mess around with, again? Sure, new is nice! But, the sheer simplicity of a truck like that is just sooo appealing!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2019 07:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I felt about my '74 Dodge PowerWagon. Simple. I could look under the hood and work on what was wrong without dismantling everything else. After 500,000 miles, it was tired. But, the exciting part is that it got sold and is being rebuilt, virtually from the ground up. I feel good about it.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Fred, how do you manage to run into Haitians and Dominicans? Is that the Cigar network?

[ May 08, 2019, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2019 07:13 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my wheeling buddies has a pretty nice one.

-

-

That FJ80 on 37's ain't nothing to sneeze at either.

Be back in that exact same spot tomorrow [Smile] .

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted May 08, 2019 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pics, Dave. What is that fella planning on doing? Rolling down the hill sideways? Looks cool though. That took some doing.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I just thought of something that probably isn't mentioned enough. Along the lines of; It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

What I mean is, I have seem a few guys that couldn't get arrested for their ability for off road driving. Some people are born to it and others are always crashing and burning, no matter the upgrades and modifications.

I have a son that thinks he can go anywhere, and he probably could, without breaking and denting and just being hard on equipment. Some folks know how to get by, intelligently, and also understand the cost in time, effort and dollars to force things. LB

[ May 08, 2019, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2019 11:06 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, that's it! 'Cept mine was blue, only on 33s, and sans the exoskeleton...

Leonard, those dudes take old Toyos and ship em to their island in an export container. Then, convert the lil' 4cyl to propane power and run em til the next Ice Age...

Worked with lots of crazy Dominicans! As for cigars, I had a Dominican friend's father roll me up a cigar once...was in friggn LaLa Land for hours! And heck, we even made jugs of MamaJuana at the old shop, and aged em underground, LOL

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2019 11:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, yeah, he probably is planning to roll. Again.

Some guys drive by braille. He's one of them.

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters