The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » New exhaust...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New exhaust...
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2016 11:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Been noticing a 'tick' the last few months from my truck, and sho' nuff, found a partially cracked manifold. Its not in a weld-able spot, so been looking into repair/replacement cost. Factory parts ain't cheap, so might as well upgrade, right!?!?. Beyond that, the mid-pipes are about toast, but the 10+ yr old Borla stainless cat-back system is still in decent shape...

That said, decided to go all out & get a full custom exhaust system. If I'm gonna pay $$$ for an install, gonna put some decent parts on! Long tube headers, new (50 state legal) CATs, custom X-pipe & true dual mufflers with resonators:
 -

Got the headers ceramic coated to keep them from being eaten alive by road salt in the winter. As for the rest of the kit, just de-greased the stainless pieces & hit them with some Rustoleum High Heat...
 -

This is really gonna put some lipstick on my 13yr old pig! More HP, more torque, better throttle response, and better MPG. This vid is the same system, vented out in front of the rear tires:

Video Linky

This aughta last another 10yrs & 200K miles. Maybe by then, it'll be time for a new truck [Smile]

[ April 21, 2016, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2016 12:41 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Schweet!!!

Love me some hot rodding. Of any kind!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2016 05:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fuking awesome, Fred. But, on a 13 yr. old truck? Okay, if you say so?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2016 04:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know...
Just can't see ever gettin' rid of that truck. I'd sooner keep it for a project vehicle, than sell/trade it in. The motor's about broke in now @ 223K, looking forward to turning 300K on it in the next few years! May as well do it with a fresh set of lungs to breathe out of!!!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 21, 2016 05:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We must be talking about a Toyota? Never owned one? Vic has one, I guess he likes it? If he still has it? It's the old Ford, Chevy debate, only different.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2016 02:04 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice.
Just had one of our Chevy pickups here at work turn 375000 miles, still going...except there is 0 oil pressure and the engine knocks like crazy, but we keep it around for kicks.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2016 05:59 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Toyota Tundra '03.

Have done synthetic oil changes every 5K, since forever. Replaced the whole front end & rack a couple years ago, so it rides real nice. Timing belt, water pump & all pulleys @ 125K, that's par for the course with a Toyota. Repeating that job be the next hurdle, prolly have it done before this coming winter...

Pretty much "pot committed" to the ol' pig, so gonna stay with it, til the river!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2016 06:28 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way ya think Fred. Besides, fixin it is still way cheaper than buying new. I don't know if I'll ever buy a new truck again in my life time. Neither of mine have rolled over 200,000 yet, so I got time to think about it.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2016 07:46 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Love that crossover piece very cool Good Luck on the lipstick its always fun to make old shit better !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 05:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I spoke with the fella who designed the system several times via phone, he's real passionate about his exhaust pipes! He mentioned about how that crossover pipe played a big part in the efficiency of the system. He got +35hp at the wheels in his '03 4.7L with the same setup, nice little hop up!

Gonna drop it off early next week, gotta whack a gobbler this weekend, first!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 10:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, how does that crossover work? is there some hidden port that blends both sides, or what?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 12:01 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It has something to do with balancing out the flow from boths sides of a V-engine.

He mentioned other stuff about increasing the 'scavenging effect'. The crossover pipe is posta facilitate it, and proper backpressure, which plays a key role in generating low end torque...

The Borla cat-back system I've had for years still sounds great, but doesn't produce enough back pressure to make much power @ low rpm. This new setup should make a world of difference in that dept!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 04:55 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool, Fred. Sounds badass! Wanna race?
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 04:39 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
meet ya 1/2 way?!? [Smile]
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 03:58 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got the whole kit done!
Mechanic did a great job with the manifold removal/header install, but had a hard time mocking up the custom midpipes. Spent a few hours over there with him & got the chop saw fired up. At the end of the day, had the whole mid-X pipe section tack welded together. Then, off to a legit muffler shop for finish welds, hangers & tailpipes...

Turned out pretty dang good! Put ~600 miles on it this weekend, and she's purrin' like a kitten! The extra HP & low end torque is really noticeable on uphill mountain roads, it just pulls up the grade. And, it sounds fukkin' badazz with a little pedal in it!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 06:05 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 07:53 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Pic of the bone yard:
 -

Pic of the mid/X-pipe, with mufflers tucked up inside frame & driveshaft:
 -

Scavenged the tips from my old Borla kit, custom tailpipes exit behind mudflaps:
 -

[ May 23, 2016, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters