The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » Diesels (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Diesels
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2015 06:47 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about getting a diesel in two years for traveling and maybe for long distance calling trips. I know several guys that use them for calling but I have some reservations because of the noise level of diesel engines. Any thoughts on this?

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2015 09:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those seem very minor issues with those that buy Diesels?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2015 10:37 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
None of the current, modern crop of diesels makes much noise. My last two, an '04 and then an '07 CTD's, weren't any noisier than my current '13 that has a 5.7 gas motor.

I do know what you're talking about though. My partner used to have an older Ford Powerstroke truck at work. His boss was fine with us using it to go hunting and even let us use my partner's fuel card to go hunting (he liked our videos...).

But, most of the time, we would rather use one of our own trucks and pay for our own fuel, than to go coyote hunting in that gawd damned powersmoke! Noisy sumbitch. We were - still are - convinced the noise it made announced our presence over too wide an area and negatively affected our success. We just never did that well coyote hunting out of that truck.

The Ford's are still the noisiest, compared to the Duramax or the CTD's, but not enough to be an issue in my opinion.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2015 11:21 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
AZ, Around here almost everyone who are serious oilburner fans are looking for the older model dodges MINUS ALL THE EPA MANDATED POLLUTION add ons, they'll come closer to the legendary "diesel liars club claims of 30 mpg towing 10k+lb. trailers all day long". I'm convinced that any and all 1 ton pickups that will get an honest double digit fuel mileage & be able to keep up with traffic flow (pulling a load) deserves a look .

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2015 03:16 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an old Duramax, and am convinced that tire noise makes more difference than the clickity-clack. Loud exhaust, too.

Totally off topic, but if you want stealth, get a newer Polaris to go with the diesel. Everyone who gets in it raves about how quiet it is. Power too!

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2015 04:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everyone who gets in it raves about how quiet it is.
Yeah? I wouldn't know? <sniff>

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2015 05:57 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the input. I'll keep a gas truck around for most of my calling but I will be getting a diesel for traveling when I start my Social Security. I'm not sure if I will go new or pre-bs-emissions. I would love to find a low milege 2006-2008 duramax, classic body style with an LBZ engine. The LBZ engine is the engine the hot rodders use. Diesels are expensive to repair when they break down and the newer ones have an expensive diesel particulate filter that requires replacement at around 125,000 miles. Dodge has the best engine and Ford blew it when they went to the 6.0 and 6.4 liter engine. The big reason to go diesel is they make your truck heavy which makes for a nice towing rig. The heavy block really plants the front tires to the road.

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhw6k-k0zA

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2015 01:49 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
That dud on your utube link was funny.

--------------------

jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted October 09, 2015 06:43 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah? I wouldn't know? <sniff>

Sorry man, the key was in it the whole time. I probably wouldn't have shot you or anything. [Smile]

AZ, you're the mechanic, so I ain't arguing. I bought mine when the LBZs were first hitting and did so because LBZs were overheating. Mine is an old, but newest, LB7 but with an Edge programmer, puts ~430 hp to the ground. Haven't had a single major issue yet, knock on wood. My brother owns a '12, or '13 Dodge and runs a similar programmer and swears mine is stronger. That might just be the difference between seats, since we've never run them head to head.

[ October 09, 2015, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: jimanaz ]

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2015 05:32 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what you would call it anymore, as far as LXX, but I have a friend here with an '04 Duramax that he has put a lot into. That's why I say not sure what to call it anymore, he's changed so much on that motor. It's making over 1000 RWHP and running in the 10's at the local strip, wich is at about 4400' altitude. It's STRONG!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2015 02:31 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend with an LB7 that is bone stock. He pulls a 32' toy hauler with no problem. When I get a diesel, I plan on keeping it stock as long as it gets the job done.

Yes I am a retired mechanic but I know enough about diesels to be dangerous.

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2015 05:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Having owned several diesel's I wouldn't buy another one. Unless you're planning on a million mile driving life.
They do and will hurt your calling. They are to big to hide and so forth.
Give me my Toyota for cruising and calling anytime. Yes we do have a full sized pickup for towing and wood hauling.
Being I said I wouldn't buy another a new model has that added on urea additive. I wouldn't touch one.
The other half does have a Dodge 98 diesel bought used and gets good mileage, but I still don't like it.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2015 04:03 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's making over 1000 RWHP and running in the 10's at the local strip, wich is at about 4400' altitude. It's STRONG!

I bet it smokes like a BITCH! I do love showing off my small penis to people whose driving irritates me, with a giant black cloud, from time to time.
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2015 03:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
PRIUS REPELLENT!!!

-

[ October 14, 2015, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimbo, do you want be to tack that onto your custom title? Just for the record? Sorta confirms what they all say about folks that are into guns and such.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: two guys standing at urinals. First guy says, self-consciencely, "wow, waters cold!". Second; "Yeah, and deep!"

[ October 14, 2015, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2015 05:38 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I work on a fair number of diesels at work and we have them from the big 3. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Maintenance costs are more and repairs cost more. The 6.4 l ford turbos are a real pia. Pulling the cab makes replacement easy but doing it with the cab on will try your patience. The PDF is expensive but we have had to replace very few, using the hotsy and washing the out real well and letting the dry we have saved almost all of them. They don't like idle time like the old ones due and is what cause the problem with the PDF. The newer 6.7 Ford Diesel sounds like a gas engine to me. If I were to buy one today I think it would be a Chevy Duramax motor wise we have had the least problems with those followed by Cummins and then Ford. Our trucks due see extreme service and a lot of rough terrain.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Displayed Name
Member # 4669

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Displayed Name   Email Displayed Name         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I both drive LLY duramax's and like them fine. Factory exhaust they are quite quiet. Change that and they are obviously louder. We both run 285/75R16 tires with tuners set between 90 and 120 hp increased. His 2005 extend cab 4x4 gets better mileage than my 2004.5 crew cab 4x4 but not by a whole lot. Mine is a bit heavier and I always run mud tires. They've been great trucks, good ride and decent towing. If towing heavy all the time I think it's hard to beat the low end torque of a cummins but we don't tow all year and not that far. Also the LLY have external injectors and have over 600 000 kms combined but haven't had to touch them yet.

[ March 25, 2016, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: Displayed Name ]

Posts: 26 | From: Prince Edward Island | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 06:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to The New HuntmastersBBS.com, displayed name. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS where's Prince Edward Island? Is that like Canada?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Displayed Name
Member # 4669

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2016 06:11 AM      Profile for Displayed Name   Email Displayed Name         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha thank Leonard ya Ijust figured out where the reply button was this morning. Maybe I missed it before or it wasnt available earlier when I tried before.

You'd be surprised how many people from the US have not heard of Prince Edward Island. I guess we are pretty small but I have to say it's a pretty nice place to live despite Canada's current federal government and our provincial government. Here's hoping for a republican to win in the US.

[ March 25, 2016, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Displayed Name ]

Posts: 26 | From: Prince Edward Island | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2016 02:33 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a 2015 Ram 1500 with the 3.0 liter diesel. So far I'm happy. Great mileage, quiet, plenty of power. Really has low end lugging power while easing around in the mud and snow. Better ground clearance than the half ton Ford I traded off for it.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2016 09:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that Cal never exceeds 55 on the Interstate and drives like an Asian.

Somebody, buy that Ford!

Good hunting. El Bee

(just kidding, Cal)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I made the switch to diesel recently myself.

Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Initially I was looking for a gasser, but the salesguy I was dealing with got me to drive a Ecodiesel for the afternoon. I drove it pretty hard around town and pulled a steep grade at 75 mph. 21 mph for the trip. I was sold

Really quiet. Quieter than the Hemi's we fired up to compare it to. The wife said "no way" on the diesel until she heard how quiet it is and rode in it. So far so good, but we have a long way to go.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2016 02:36 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I have been looking at the new Nissan Titan with the 5.0 V8 Cummins in them. They look pretty damn nice too. But I will probably wait a couple years to make sure they work all the bugs out.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2016 03:10 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the same as mine Lonny!

LB, I know guys that are harder on equipment than me, but not many!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters