The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » Whoopsy Daisy!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whoopsy Daisy!
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 08:07 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Had a 'close call' recently. Was headed up to the farm on Friday evening, but sidetracked off the Parkway to grab a cigar for the ride. That detour took me about 3miles off course, no biggie...

The "whoopsy daisy" happened somewhere along that 3 mile detour. Coming off a stoplight, I hit one of the many bazillion potholes leftover from winter salt bombings. Was only going about 15mph after bouncing thru the divet when the friggin' spare tire let go out from under my truck!!!

"HO_LEE_SHIT!" I thought, while watching a fullsized spare bobbed & weaved across traffic, coming safely to rest a few hundred yards down a side street... [Eek!]

Swung a huey lewis (U-turn) and grabbed up the spare, none the worse for wear. Cept' for the fact that the hanger had literally rusted to bits!

Between our shitty winters, road crews over-salting the shit outta the roads, and Hurricane Sandy flooding the shit outta the South Shore, I guess the shitty metal Toyota used for the hanger couldn't take any more shitty salt...

Just GLAD that I had a hankering for a cigar that evening!!! If not, I'da put the hammer down on the CIP to get off the Island. Needless to say, that tire would've assuredly come unglued @ highway speed...potential making for a very dangerous obstacle to dodge! I shudder to think what might have happened! After grabbing up the tire, I said a small prayer to whomever was watching over us all that night...

Got a replacement spare hanger setup ordered right away, and installed in this morning. Fukkin' bolts were froze solid with rust, had to bust out the Sawzall & get to work. Replaced them with new Grade 8 hardware & buttoned up the new kit. This is the old hanger...
 -

Henceforth, I will always & forever act upon any hankering for a cigar!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 08:22 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 08:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Fred! What year Toyota?

I pulled onto a berm up in Nevada once and when turning back onto the road surface (gravel) suddenly a large buzzer indicating low air pressure!

I don't know what I hit on that berm but it sliced through the sidewall? Unrepairable.

That's when I discovered that I didn't have the key to the padlock on the spare tire! And, it was protected from theft by a stout 3/8th" cable. Further checking, no hacksaw!

A couple gents drove by, and all they could offer was to loan a hammer which I used to pound the cable against the frame for what seemed like at least a half and hour?

Since then, partner never fails to inquire if I have the padlock key with me. And I respond; GFY.

It's shit like that that make a trip memorable.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
2003, just turned 212K on the odometer. So, it's had a bit of time to rust out. Truthfully, I feel responsible for not checking that, but it never dawned on me?
Again, sure glad it let go when it did...

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 03:16 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'll check the spare on the Land Cruiser this weekend... It's an '02 and chunks of rust routinely hit the ground when a door gets slammed. Usually a little collection of rust chunks on the back bumper that have fallen out of the tailgate, etc.

Bet it has the exact same hanger setup.

Yup, gonna check that sucker this weekend!

I lost a front wheel on the interstate once. Doing about 80 MPH, southbound, passing through Cedar City. Driver front wheel come plumb off. As in, right the fuck off. Ron White tripod style. Except I had my whole family in the rig and I was doing 80...

Anyway, watching that tire and wheel cross the median and go bounding into oncoming traffic was one of the more horrifying moments of my life. After bouncing through oncoming for a bit, it went off into a clover leaf on ramp, busted off a little 6" thick pine tree about 10" off the ground, finally came to a rest. Nobody hurt.

That really was one scary episode though, watching that tire go into oncoming interstate traffic. Kind of took my mind off the fact I was grinding a rotor flat and trying to scub off speed gracefully, which went smooth, no drama at all on that, really.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yotehntr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 03:16 PM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty crazy! What island you talking about?

--------------------
Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! ;)

Posts: 53 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2015 03:19 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nevermind what island.

What cigar?!

[Big Grin]

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had something similar happen, only different. Due to a long washboard road lost most of the lug nuts and the studs were just hanging, not to mention the holes in the wheel were wallowed out....a total mess! (I wasn't driving)

How we ever got something going on three lugs and a couple flat washers, I will never know? Somewhere east on 50, we were and then south on 93 at 45 miles per hour all the way through Vegas and made it home. To this day, that wheel has an assortment of lugs, but I strongly suspect some asshole with an impact wrench spun the splines on the drum changing a tire? That and 50 miles of washboard?

We just don't get corrosion like that out here? Thank God for small favors.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 14, 2015, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 06:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Loooooonnnggggg eye-lind!

Dave, it were a Griffin's Toro... [Wink]

Shit Leonard, speaking of lug nuts...
Gave some assistance to a family with a flat the other day. They had a youngster aboard, and Dad was not making much progress, so I grabbed a spanner & offered a hand...
Damned if the flat tire only had 3 outta 4 lug nuts, and two of those were loose! Didn't need to use a plug to fix the flat either, as it was caused by a missing valve stem!!!
Put the 'donut' on with three lugs and gave 'em directions to the nearest Mavis...

Can't make this shit up, I tell ya!

Yotehntr
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3684

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2015 07:01 AM      Profile for Yotehntr   Author's Homepage   Email Yotehntr         Edit/Delete Post 
Got ya, reason I asked I lived on Shelter Island (off of long island) when I was a little guy.

--------------------
Yotehntr Calls Put something pretty on your lips! ;)

Posts: 53 | From: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2015 09:12 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Lost a set of duals off a truck trailer many years ago due to wheel bearing failure. They came of on the interstate at hiway speed. It was dark and I never noticed 'til I got where I was going. Company mechanic went and searched but never recovered and wasn't on the news that night. I still shudder every time I think about it.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2015 06:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was stopped for a signal, about a block back of the intersection. Where I was, there was a left turn break in the divider. So, I saw this guy up ahead on my left make a flying right turn onto this major boulevard going south, while I was headed north. Then I noticed his front wheel coming straight for me about 35 MPH through the break in the island! Sparks were flying as he went by.

Cleverly, I pulled forward in the nick of time so that wheel missed caving in my door. Instead, it hit the vehicle behind me, bounced high in the air and came down and dented my tailgate, and from there, bounced back onto the hood of a vehicle in the next lane, behind me. Big heavy tire, actually, could have hurt somebody?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2015 07:29 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW... I checked the spare on my Landcruiser, it's the same setup and in pretty bad shape, but I haven't done anything about it yet. I will, I will...

- DAA

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2015 01:52 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago when I was young I had a little truck farm and an old farm truck a 49 ford with a flat head eight. lots a stories about that truck.
One day while fixing something I needed a large pipe threaded and didn't have the needed tool for 2 inch. galv. , the truck had a pipe rack on the side attached front and rear. I loaded up the pipe and off I went. As luck would have it the load came loose during the trip a guy in front of me came to a quick stop and I hit the binders and launched that pipe for what seemed forever down the road in front of me. It somehow stayed between the lanes of traffic and skidded to a rest several hundred feet down the road in front of me.
At the height it was sitting at take off all I could see was it going through a back window and taking out some poor innocent person luckily that did not happen. Still makes me shudder when I visualize it.

[ September 10, 2015, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2015 07:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of something I saw returning from an Arizona hunt. Passing through the Palm Springs area, there was a pretty good sand storm that got worser as we approached White Water.

Up ahead, two things. First, a pickup towing a flat trailer and behind him, a 911 Porsche. The wind got under some construction materials lying in the bed of the trailer and an 8' 2X4 bounced out the back end. The Porsche got nailed through the front windshield like a spear and slowed to the shoulder.

This happened between a half to a mile in front of us and as we passed, in the fast lane, I could see there were two people in the car. I don't know if the truck with the trailer stopped, we just kept on going.

But, I read about it in the paper. The guy driving died instantly, struck in the head. He was somebody? I think maybe in the film industry and that might be why it was wrote up in the LA Times, otherwise we might not have known what we saw happening. That's some bad luck, for sure.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters