The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » How long will you keep a set of tires?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long will you keep a set of tires?
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2014 09:20 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 2004 Blazer with the factory tires still on it. The vehicle only has about 40,000 miles on it. I just bought 2 sets of tires in the last year for 2 other vehicles. But I hate the thought of a blow out on the highway.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2014 10:32 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I abhor the purchasing of tires. Mine get worn to the point where they would hook up great on a drag strip.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2014 03:17 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear mine pretty thin too. But, that never takes all that long. After 10 years, I dunno... Would depend a lot on how much sun they have seen, probably? If they are starting to check, I'd be rid of them though.

I replaced some trailer tires that looked like brand new tread, but were 8 years old and starting to check. Seen just way too many trailer tire blow outs. I think it's because they never really wear out for most people, they just get old.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2014 07:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, watch it about the old stuff, you are starting to sound like Ezekiel!

Anyhow, I don't own a trailer anymore, thank God!

But, aren't most of those breakdowns we see along the highway due to wheel bearings issues?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2014 06:53 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking it depends on the roads you drive on and how hard you drive. Around here there are Chisholm Trail markers everywhere and I honestly think Oklahoma does their very best to keep em authentic in every way. Another thing, I'm not much on extended warranties but for tires I fudge and normally pay for road hazard coverage.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2014 07:15 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife threatened to make me take her Explorer to Arizona if I didn't put some new shoes on the ol' Blazer. Went with some Cooper STs. Nice rubber, but damn! I could've bought a new rifle. Now that pisses me off!

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2014 05:39 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here on the warranties. I never buy them. But lifetime, I'm money ahead buying road hazard for tires. So I'll keep buying it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2014 09:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I converted to road hazard insurance a while back; took a particularly teeth grinding event to convince me. If all I did was highway driving, maybe not, but when you get in the rocks and the dirt, you never know? A couple of the worst catastrophic tire damages I have ever experienced, occurred in harmless looking sand, from hidden obstacles.

Or buy twelve ply?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2014 01:28 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Twelve ply and I'd be in a wheelchair inside of a year!

- DAA

--------------------

JimM
Member # 4420

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2014 07:48 PM      Profile for JimM           Edit/Delete Post 
My back hurts just thinking about riding w/12 ply tires. I also run mine to the tread bar before a new set....if they last that long on the roads/trails I drive on.

[ September 30, 2014, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: JimM ]

Posts: 26 | From: here | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 04:50 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you see this Dans being posted late. I can tell you what the Tire Manufacturers Association says. Replace tires when they are six years old. Tires will sun check even if kept indoors. The ozone in the air will cause it. Working from my phone and gotta go. Will chime in later.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted October 12, 2014 07:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know! Thanks, AZ.

But, do you know how they arrive at those recommendations? These testing facilities can't afford to wait around six years so they artificially accelerate the aging process. Well, in the case of a jar or mayonnaise, for instance, they may put it in a laboratory oven for 35 days at 700 degrees and then manipulate the data, just like the GLOBAL WARMING projections, and tell you to throw it away after 6 weeks or six months, or six years; with a straight face.

My point is, I have lost all confidence in the scientific community. If you wait long enough, there will be a government study that directly contradicts a previous study and most likely funded because the previous study concluded with the recommendation that more study was needed.

Further, I have no doubt that somebody, somewhere will ride on tires that are ten years old, completely oblivious to these recommendations.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 07:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's the fact that all `scientific based recommendations` regarding any product has to be `lawyer proof`.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7588 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 08:09 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
A buddy swears by a good application of silicon spray lube on his RV tires. Anyone tried it to retard the deterioration? I always seem to forgot to try it.

--------------------

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 09:21 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks AZ,

My cousins son works for a large auto dealership here, also my occasional mechanic, thought is would be a good idea to get rid of these tires too.

I am thinking of getting another set of the Cooper Discovery AT3's but these are only P235-r75x15's and a bit cheaper. Or a set of General grabbers for it. I dunno yet.

Honestly, I don't know if I am going to keep it. I may sell, and I am pretty sure it will go quickly with only 41,000 miles and always garaged.

I don't need 3 vehicles.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 09:54 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
First off the Tire Manufacturers Association wants to sell tires. This group also says you should never put 2 flat repairs within 90 degrees of each other. I ran tires longer than six years and have put two flat repairs within 5 or 6 inches of each other. However, I recently replaced 2 tires on my boat trailer they were 10 years old and they looked perfect. More later

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 02:24 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been traveling the hills of South eastern Ohio with the Wife visiting with her family. That is the reason for all of the interruptions. Plus it's tough working from a phone. This is our first fall visit and it is nice.

If you find the Dot code on the Tire, it is only put on one sidewall not both, look at the last set of numbers. They will have 4 digits. The last 2 numbers are the year. The first two numbers are the week and start at 01 thru 52. Floor example 0910 means the 9th week of 2010. If it is a 3 digit number it is 99 or older.

On another thread someone mentioned the Tire guys are neanderthals. I agree. It is a starting position for some young men. If they cannot rise above tire busting, they are on the slow side for sure. There are some big vendors I cannot tolerate.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters