The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » Offroad lights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Offroad lights
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 04:11 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, been runnin' a set of Lightforce 170s on the front of my truck for quite a while now. I do alot of driving @ night to get away hunting and shooting, so its nice to have some extra lumens to flick on & light up those country roads in the wee hours of dark-thirty...
Anyhoo, I pulled the 170s off and gave 'em to a buddy for his Jeep project, and invested in this:
 -

Its an LED offroad light bar. 30" long, barely 2" high, has combo flood/spot beam & 7200 lumens of output.
It's a nice fit, protected from direct impact by the bar, almost can't even tell its there! Until ya turn it on, that is! This sucker is BRIGHT!!!
Got to test it out on a run to the farm last weekend, and was very impressed! This is a crappy pic, but gives a general idea of how much light that little bar is throwing...
 -

I already have HID head/foglamp upgrade, and this takes night driving to a whole nutha level! (obviously not for highway driving in traffic) Just thought some of the 'out west' guys could benefit from having something like that on your hunting rig, for negotiating those rural roads & two tracks after dark...

LINKY

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 07:58 AM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!
Lately, I've been shopping for something similar for my boat.
I've been looking for a spot/flood combo, as bright as possible, as cheap as possible, and it needs to be 2 12" bars so the center of the bow stays open.
Picky huh? [Wink]
They've done amazing stuff with those LED's!

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 08:39 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Coulda used those this weekend! Neat product.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 10:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I guess not street legal?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 11:14 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. LB, laws vary, from state to state [Smile]
I think here, you have to have driving lights operational only with high beams switched on, or something like that. Heck, my factory 'fog lights' used to turn off, with high beams engaged. but that can be bypassed with a jumper wire. Not that I'd know how to do that, though... [Wink]

Been pulled over a few times in the past, with those big 170s hangin' off the front, and never got a 2nd glance from LEO about 'em. So, I can't see it being any different with that skinny little light bar tucked where its at. Of course, I'm not a dick who'd be blinding oncoming drivers, just on them quiet country roads where a stupid whitetail wants to become a hood ornament/road pizza...

Kev, that linky has all kinda sized bars, might even get a smaller one for the ATV...

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred did you have to upgrade your charging system to use the new lights on your P/Up? If so what was needed?

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 04:25 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
No Mike, but my truck does have a factory high output alternator. The old Lightforce 170s were 100w each, but this 30" bar draws 86 watts, total. Half the power draw, with ALOT more output!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 02:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, total change of subject, K?

I want to know if anybody knows what a Bubbler is?

If nobody gets it right, Fred can answer.

Thanks!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 03:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What ????
They threw you out of the Bingo Hall and you went into a Head Shop ???? Spencer's ???
How about BlackLight Camo ????

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7581 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 07:01 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, are you referring to a drinking fountain?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 08:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You got it! And, you aren't even from the upper east coast!

I really thought I would stump everybody but Fred.

Speaking of Fred. I'm watching Sharkhunters. I'm tell you, it reminds me of a Mafia convention! All e talians.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 08:48 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought a bubbler was a fart that someone try's to sneak out when they are sitting in church and it comes up your crack and announces itself with a plop.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2014 09:26 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure that I've never heard the term "bubbler" used? We call 'em "wada-fowntins" up hea...
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2014 09:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, we went to Vegas with neighbors, who were from Providence, R.I. So, we were walking around, I think it was Caesars Palace? And the lady neighbor was asking several people, like the Centurions, etc. where she could find a "Bubbler". NOBODY knew what the hell she was talking about and she couldn't provide an alternate description. Later, when we did get it, she assured us that it was a very common expression, where they were from. I have never heard in used since, and this might have been 15 years ago?

So, I figured, Hey? Road Island, Long Island, Connecticut, all put together are smaller than San bernardino County. Fred's pretty dialed in, I knew he would know what a BUBBLER is. Now, the question is, how did a guy from Missouri know? Very surprised!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2014 03:11 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the only reason I got it was I was trained to work on Refrigeration, heating and cooling equipment. Some "wada-fontains" [Smile] have refrigeration. Went to a technical college and everything. Sadly I forgot most of it due to not working on that stuff since the 90's.

Another true story about Caesars Palace. Back around 1983, when I was stationed at 29 stumps, we used to go to vegas occationally, I started to hit it off with an incredibly hot blonde at Caesars. This gal was smokin hot. Then I realized she was a woman of ill repute. Kind of hurt my ego. And I was freaking broke, so all my good looks got me was a smile. <Laffin>

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't you ask for a sample? If she was that incredibly hot, she would have confidence that you would come up with enough for a FULL MONTY. Even if you needed to panhandle in Panhandler Headquarters.

Next time, use your head, Man! Why would an incredibly hot woman be messing with you. I mean, you're not a mutt, but no Brad Pitt by any means.....no offense! lol

You know, my company built all the controls for Caesars Palace in the sixties. At the time, very state of the art.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2014 06:36 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 21 years old then, I look a little different now. No longer a solid 180lb 6-1 lean, green, fighting machine.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2014 07:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well. Her loss, right?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2014 04:59 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Fred. Those LED's are bad ass! Thankfully, getting affordable, finally.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad, comparatively speaking Dave.

Trying to remember, did you build that high mount custom 'camp light' for the back of your Jeep around an LED head?

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2014 07:32 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure did. And when I first decided I wanted to build that, the best option I could come up with for an LED lamp to use was about $200. A few years later, when I was able to get a lamp with the same basic specs for about $60, I built it.

Used it last week while camped at Rubicon Springs along the Rubicon Trail, too!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2014 07:57 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, thought ya did!
Friggin' LED technology is incredible. Heck, I use a tiny Cree LED torch for night calling and that little handheld sucker will throw some kinda light, I tell ya!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters