The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Hunting Vehicles   » New truck... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New truck...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2013 09:42 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I finally broke down and bought a half ton. First time in 32 years I haven't owned a 3/4 ton 4x4. Ended up with a Ram 1500. Liked the EcoBoost too, but was able to get the Ram quite a bit cheaper, with a WAAAAY better warranty (got the dealer to throw in a lifetime bumper to bumper), and it fits my needs just fine.

Rides about a million times smoother than my last truck. Which, was the whole point of a half ton. My spine just couldn't take the covered wagon ride anymore. Literally couldn't walk standing up straight, or without considerable pain, for a month after the last three day offroad trip in my old diesel.

-

-

-

It's a lowrider. Less ground clearance than anything I have driven in a long, long time. Going to have to be careful with it, I guess. That sucks, but it is what it is...

First hunting trip in it won't be for another five or six weeks. Will take it on a couple family camping trips before then though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2013 11:39 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful truck! And you're right about the late-model 1/2 ton 4x4s, they ride like Cadillacs. Love the color!

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2013 06:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal, Dave. 'splain me, camo red? Just kidding.

My Suburban was red, and I am convinced it attracts attention. I recall you mentioning that you always drive 20MPH over the speed limit.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2013 08:32 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice truck. Nothing wrong with a red truck other than it will be a little tougher to pick up chicks with... [Smile]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2013 08:50 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Red with black trim or chrome. Nice...

Lifetime warrantee? Interesting.

I did get a job that was guaranteed for life, but the Supt. explained how they get out of it was to just kill me.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2013 08:53 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet truck!
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2013 10:06 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I had a red '04 Cummins - exact same color as this one, now that I think about it, lifted, big tires, and you are right, it attracted attention.

I don't have any influence on the color selection though. Cindy always picks the vehicle colors. I always pick my battles, and this isn't one I choose to engage in [Big Grin] . But given my druthers, every vehicle we own would just be white.

Dan, it's a Mopar lifetime Max Care warranty. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. Does have a $100 deductible, and doesn't cover literally everything from bumper to bumper, but does cover all mechanical and electronics. Lifetime is defined to be over when the cost of a warranty repair exceeds blue book trade in value. So, if I keep it 15 years and it needs a new motor, it probably won't cover it. But there is an awful lot of expensive electronic gee gaws on this truck that it will cover, for a long, long time. And, it is transferable one time, either transfer of ownership on this truck, or transferring it to another new Chrysler product I buy.

And, unless the truck turns out to be a stinker I just can't live with, I think I'm going to be stuck with it a long, long time. Oldest just started college, youngest will be about ready to start when he finishes, Cindy will need a new car before I get to think about another new truck, etc., etc., etc. This thing could end up in my driveway until I'm either retired or dead whichever comes first. Seriously.

So, explained all that, to simply say, they really put the hook in me pretty good and made it hard to go with the EcoBoost when they threw that in to sweeten the deal. The EB is definitely more capable when it comes to tow/haul stuff though. I don't do much towing or heavy hauling anymore, so that wasn't a real big deal to me. If it was, it would have made the decision a lot harder.

Put the first 70 miles of dirt on it yesterday. Including some bad washboard and cobble in the Uintas. I'm way happy with how this thing rides in those conditions. Even better than I had hoped, when compared to my last truck (note, I've already put Bilstein 5100's on all four corners).

Did 290 miles round trip yesterday, including the dirt, with some big elevation changes (got up over 10,000'). Averaged 17.4 MPG for the day (hand calculated).

Pretty dang happy with it so far. Will have to see how I feel about it in another year or two though. Easy to get sucked in and blinded by the newness [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2013 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about priorities, Dave. [Wink]

Along the same vein as a 15 year truck, I'm guessing you will never need another rifle? Ew! That's harsh! [Wink]

I tend to keep vehicles an embarrassingly long time, maybe ten years but 15? [Wink]

I owned a 1975 International ¾ ton Pick Up, the last year they made them... (with good reason) Hmm? It was red. I traded it in after about a year and a half and I still own the '77 280Z I traded it for. (there's a contradiction somewhere?) I will say one thing about regret; the Pullman camper I had on it was worth more than the fucking truck.

Also, I own a Dodge ½ ton 360cid powerwagon, circa 1974 with 450,000 miles on it. If it only had disc brakes!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2013 09:58 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that's some serious bling right there. Coyotes will see you comin' for sure, but they won't see it comin' because they'd never suspect that a serious coyote hunter would be driving such bling.
Congrats Dave. Hope it lasts a life time.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2013 11:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Ol' Dave might not remember my solution for "bling"?

Just as soon as you pull off the blacktop, pull over and get out a can of WD40. Spray the entire truck except maybe not all the glass?

Then, drive at high speed for ten miles and your red truck will now have a serious coating of road dust which makes excellent camouflage.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2013 05:04 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Dave.

This post is very helpful for the simple fact my "new truck" just turned 15 years old the other day and the time is soon coming for something new. Without much investigation on my part so far, the Ecoboost and the half-ton Dodge have caught my interest.

If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more of your thoughts in the future on the Dodge. 17.4 mpg over elevation and rough roads sounds pretty darn good to me.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2013 07:18 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
That's super sharp Dave! And I've never really been a Dodge guy. No reason really, just never owned one.
Did the Bilsteins add any lift at all? Seems like ALL the newer 1/2 ton 4x4's look like low riders.
17 mpg is impressive, especially for on AND off road! I'd sure like to hear your "real world" figures for strictly highway and around town driving.
Leonard, my Grandpa was a dyed in the wool International truck guy.
I also had a 1978 280z at one time. I was just a kid, but that thing handled sweet! You got any pics you could throw up? It'd be a trip down memory lane for me.
I'll never forget selling it either...
After running an add in the paper (remember that?) this guy showed up with a buddy driving. He had long curly hair...kind of hair band style. With a leather jacket with chains hanging off of it.
He walked around the outside a little bit then I said, "hop in".
Now, I had the whole hatch back filled with speakers and it flat blasted out the tunes. I cranked up some old Van Halen and he yelled,..."I'LL TAKE IT!!!"
I yelled back, "DON'T YOU WANNA DRIVE IT?"
He yelled, "YOU DRIVE, I'LL JUST RIDE."
So off we went hot rodding all over the place.
When we got back, he paid me cash and off he went. His GRANDMA called my dad a couple of months later and said it broke in half going down the road! She wanted HER money back, but you know how that ended. [Wink]

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2013 08:47 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice ride, David !

I'm with Kevin, not really a red guy for some reason ? although my old XJ is red and black.

Although, I've clicked on this 3-4 times the last 1/2 hour or so, and that red pickup of yours is really growing on me ! It's sharp [Smile]

I hear you guys on vehicles though. I need to upgrade myself and it could be my last ? my daughter totaled her little S-10 a few weeks back. She's started college also.

She's got my XJ, momma got a 2012 Focus two weeks ago. Poor ol' dad, is down to the ol' 86 CK10, for now.

Oh' yeah can't wait to see a dead coyote, hanging off the side of the bed.. [Big Grin]

[ September 08, 2013, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2013 07:36 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a nice truck DAA. I know I'm jumping onto this thread late but I still hope you see this and answer this question: If you have an automatic transmission, does it still have a dipstick?

That is one of many things car makers are doing that pisses me off. I've seen a late model Toyota Tacoma that didn't have a dipstick for the automatic. It really sucks when you will have to pay someone 10-40 bucks labor to have it checked and fluid added. BTW: I've seen Ford, Chevy, and Toyota eliminate the tranny dipstick. I'm sure more will follow which is why I'm asking the question.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2013 09:32 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
It has an 8 speed automatic with no dipstick.

I think they are all going that way. Sealed units with "lifetime"(?) fills.

Going more gears too. I'm really liking this 8 speed, smoothest automatic I've ever driven, always seems to be in the right gear for whatever I'm doing. But rumor has it we'll be seeing 10 speed automatics soon.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2013 11:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I feel so, (what's the word?) Inadequate? My Nissan has only 5 forward speeds. One thing I like is the ability, on winding mountain roads is switching to manual and keeping it in a useful gear without constant shifting when the trans can't decide what to do.

I suppose I should start thinking about new? That's another thing, I have this fear of buying someone's problem. Others feel it's a suckers play to buy new, I don't know either way?

I bought my 74 Dodge with a Mitsubishi Diesel and it took a shit about two weeks later. So, I went back to the original 360 V8. Kinda cured me of used, but maybe it's just luck?

Ten speeds, seriously? I do have an affinity for Dodge though? Bought my Suburban used, shortly thereafter, needed to pull the gas tank and replace the friggin' filter. Then, a week later, I had a fuel pump problem and it was such a bitch to get at, I had the dealer do it, too.

I drove a new Dodge PU. Long story but my Nissan was hit by a guy on a motorcycle and was in the shop. His insurance paid for the rental. Not bad, seemed tight but I can't say I was in love? The plastic ign. key was weird. My eight year old Nissan has a lot more H.P.

Guy on bike rolled past the front of my truck but not really hurt, wearing leathers and a good helmet, (active Marine Corps). The bike was a friggin' mess, a crotch rocket. Looked like it had been dropped off a cliff.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2013 11:33 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
They can be serviced and filled if needed but you have to know how. You have to raise the vehicle up on a hoist with the frame level with engine running. You pull a plug and the fluid should be up to the plug level. Adding may require a special tool to push the fluid through the plug hole or some require you to remove say a sensor and you fill through the sensor hole.

This is just one reason why I don't like newer vehicles. If it develops a leak it motivates you even more to get it fixed soon. I run my cars and trucks an obscene amount of time so I will run into that situation myself. However, I own a hoist so I can do it myself but it isn't something you can do in the field easily such as a bubble gum pan repair from hitting a rock and adding fluid as needed to get into town.

I know two christian mechanics and you should hear us cuss about how the newer cars and trucks are made. So much non needed BS added. Who the fucks needs zone air conditioning, traction control, automatic temp control, etc. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2013 01:42 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how you mention all the un-needed stuff.

I have been running Chevy's for over 30 years and can't really say I had a bad one. However, I would like to see the return of the old K5 Blazer, without all the carpeting, zone comfort features, eight seats, all the headliner crap. Basically just a 4x4 with standard door locks and standard crank windows. Auto or manual, no biggy, 60/40 bench in the front and make the back 2 se4ats and option. Drop about $20,000 worth of unneeded crap off it.

And what's with the center console BS. Seems every friggen vehicle has one. So much wasted space and cramped. Makes me feel like I'm piloting an old Cessna 150 again.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That stinks Leonard.

I've zero brand loyalty. They all suck. Just have to pick the one that seems to sucks the least for your situation is all.

Still way too early for me to say anything about my new Ram one way or the other. Real happy with it so far, but "so far" hasn't been very far, at all.

Give me another three, four years, I'll have an opinion. If I have a strong opinion much sooner than that, it won't be good...

I have to say though, since we are on the subject, I LIKE this new 8 speed auto. Has buttons on the steering wheel I can use to shift manually, or select a gear and lockout others. Just friggin' smooooth. Always seems to be right in the sweet spot on the power band, hardly notice the shifts at all, compression brakes coming down grades just like a manual (full converter lockup). Truck gets better MPG than it has any right to and I think this transmission gets a lot of the credit. By far the best driving automatic I've ever driven.

- DAA

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2013 04:50 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, I was hoping you might post another update on the new Dodge.

What kind of mileage are you getting with it at this point and how many miles are on it now?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 03, 2013 06:57 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, only about 1500 miles on it so far, with about 350 of those dirt, and about 500 towing my travel trailer, sometimes while also hauling my ATV.

MPG is all over the map!

Highway, empty or with light load, at 75 MPH, getting 17-18 MPG.

Around town, stop and go, me driving, getting 14-15. Wife driving, getting 13.

Towing the trailer, with the ATV in the bed, getting 8-9. Without the ATV, getting 9-10.

I didn't buy this half ton to tow/haul. But it has just kind of worked out that I have done more of that stuff with it than I planned on, so far. Have to say, the little gas motor and the little half ton truck have surprised me with how well they can handle an occasional load.

Here it is loaded up for a family camping trip to the Uintas a few weeks ago.

-

The little bugger had no trouble maintaining speed up the steep grades and the factory trailer brake control works great.

I still wouldn't recommend a half ton like this for towing and hauling very much on a regular basis. But, for the few times a year I'll need it to, so far, it seems like it is going to work better than I'd have guessed.

- DAA

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2013 06:13 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Well Dave what's the longer term report on the new Dodge?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TundraWookie
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2013 07:21 AM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
Sharp looking truck Dave. How does the new truck's transmission do when shifting up big hills? It seems to me the old dodge I used to have as well as a friends 2011 Mega Cab revs way up high before shifting when pulling the big hills. Does yours do that, or is it pretty smooth and even throughout the shifting range? I have zero brand loyalty and grew up in Michigan where you basically had to be a big three (Ford, GM, Chrysler) type person. Up here in the Arctic zone though, the rice burner Toyota's really seem to work excellent. I'm pushing 178K on my 98' T-100 and it just keeps clicking along. If Toyota made a real 3/4 Ton truck, I'd probably check it out. Until then, my next truck is more than likely going to be a big three model that can haul a camper and pull a boat loaded with moose and two weeks worth of camp and fuel. Red won't show all that coyote blood that's bound to be spilled in the future.
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2013 01:27 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of hard for me to say about the transmission and hills. This is the first truck with a gas motor I've had in about ten years. I'm used to diesels. To me, it's revving way high, all the time.

As far as the transmission though, probably the biggest thing I notice about it - is that I DON'T notice it. Just never have much reason to notice it or think of it when I'm driving.

Still way too early for much of a progress report Paul. Unless it's a lemon, I won't have much of an opinion one way or another for at least another year or two.

- DAA

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2013 02:26 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I got my wife an FJ cruiser sealed tranny all that stuff though the fluid can be changed and is recommended every 100k Its funny that you mention that you don't notice the trans , that how this FJ is I never think about its smooth quiet unnoticeable.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters