The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Night forum   » midwest discusion (page #2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: midwest discusion (page #2)
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2010 11:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 

Posted August 27, 2009 05:15 PM Hide Post

B) Hunting with Night Vision

Steve Craig-
I do not use Night Vision, but do know several hunters that do and are very successful. If it works for you, then have at it.

Danny Batastini-
Night vision is illegal in California and Nevada so I never used it.

Leonard Bosinski-
Most of my experience with NV is with Russian equipment and as such, not the best with which to form an opinion on the merits, per se.

What I can say is that it is best done with a modified spotlight having a IR lens and the light man should be wearing NV goggles. The shooter can either use plain starlight or have an additional IR source on his scoped rifle, if legal of course.

Hunting in moderately heavy cover, you can easily detect eyes but achieving enough of a sight picture to shoot accurately in all the clutter, is a lot more difficult than you may think. Especially beyond 100/150 yards, or so.

But, it can be done. Especially if you have a group of vocal animals that are aware of your presence but won't show and won't approach while you are using visible light. This requires specialized techniques, shutting down, employing mist and certain sounds, and waiting for the right moment, catching a bold animal downwind, flatfooted, and in the open.

Naturally, the best application of NV equipment is with coyotes, the most light shy predator we have. The use of NV for hunting cats and foxes is almost a waste of time and resource, in my opinion.

Perhaps hunting over a deadpile is a good application? But, we need to remember that thousands of predators of all kinds have been killed while using visible light, handled correctly. Because of this, I seldom see the need for employing NV, except where allowed in contests that also allow hunting after dark.
Posts: 6159 | Location: MPH Headquarters | Registered: September 02, 2005

Ignored post by Jrbhunter posted August 27, 2009 05:15 PM Show Post

Jrbhunter
Charter Member #1

Posted August 27, 2009 05:19 PM Hide Post

C) Hunting with Moonlight
Steve Craig-
I have called using only moonlight many times. Not one of the best ways to hunt, but if that is all you can do, then there are a few things you need to know to be successful.

One is to try to call during a full moon and a couple nights either side of it. It is no different than calling in the daytime. Simply get into your stand in a fairly open area if possible as this allows better vision. Setup with your back to a tree, bush, fenceline etc. just like you would do in the daytime. Allow some time to pass so your eyes get acclimated to your surroundings.

The trick is to get them in close so you can identify your quarry. This one of those cases where a hand caller will shine over an E-caller. I prefer a shotgun in this situation if at all possible. Two hunters are a definite advantage as you can watch each others back this way. Also try to call more after a fresh snow as well. Just be aware that if it is bright enough for you to see a predator, it is bright enough for them to see you.

Danny Batastini-
I don't hunt using moonlight.

Leonard Bosinski-
I have only done this a couple times with zero results. Desert sand and snow and a full moon are the appropriate conditions. I just don't have the patience to sit there unless the conditions and visibility are perfect, and even then, I have other, more productive methods. But, if it is all your local situation offers, (hey) better than watching TV in a warm room....maybe?

Ignored post by Jrbhunter posted August 27, 2009 05:19 PM Show Post

Jrbhunter
Charter Member #1

Posted August 27, 2009 05:29 PM Hide Post

D) Shotguns
Steve Craig-
Shotgun selection will always be a very personal choice. Just remember to use a good 12 or 10 ga. Single shot, pump, auto, side-by-side, or over/under will all work. Whatever you prefer and can shot well.

What is VERY important is to pattern your gun to see what size shot gives the best and tightest pattern at given distances, with different size chokes. For instance: my own Ruger Red Label O/U, the top barrel will pattern 3 in. Copper Plated BB’s very well out to 45 yards, while the bottom barrel does not, yet the bottom barrel will pattern #4 Buck in 2 ¾ in, to give me a 50% pattern at 55 yards! All with full chokes.

I do prefer 2/3/4 in. Buck shot as I get greater velocity from them than I do the 3 in. But for the close range work, the 3 in. BB’s put a lot lead into a small area. The new T shot will work very well in the Dead Coyote brand too. But whatever your gun shots well, that is what you want to stay with.

When setting up on a stand, I will usually carry a shotgun in very tight brush situations, and while I prefer to sit on a stand during the daytime rifle hunts, I will always stand when using the scatter gun. You will find you can swing on fast coming coyotes better this way.

D) Shotguns
Danny Batastini-
I have used a 870 Remington forever. I like using 3 inch mags, #4 buckshot. I usually shoot 30 yards or closer and use a modified choke.

D) Shotguns
Leonard Bosinski-
I don't rely as much on a shotgun as some folks. My old standby is a Mossberg 835. I like #4 Buck, but have used Fed. 2 oz BB's and dead coyote, but not as much as the #4 Buck.

I don't trust a downed animal however. They get up occasionally and you need to keep an eye on them, regardless of the range.

I sometimes carry a shotgun and a rifle on a daylight stand, especially if it is a contest hunt and the cover dictates. If I can see well for fifty yards and have a clear shot downwind, I feel the shotgun is less important, especially if I'm doing a "walkabout" and will be gone from the truck for extended period of time and making several stands in areas where there is no vehicle access.

As far as handling a stand, I like to back into a bush or a boulder and have the shotgun in my hand, pointed in the most likely direction of an approach. That way, I have a little more time to switch to the rifle, if I'm presented an opportunity at rifle ranges, or to take the second animal as he escapes, out of shotgun range.

Other than that, I really want a strap on my shotgun for carrying all the necessary gear.

From the truck, at night, I always have a shotgun right in front of me, on the rack, in the case of a close in coyote that suddenly bursts out of cover. That is in addition to an accurate long range rifle, of course.

Now, insofar as the action type, as it relates to my style of predator hunting, I much prefer a pump shotgun. Like, when it is topside, at night, the action is always open ready to jack in a round; as the associated noise is much less important than is a hasty shot before the animal fades into brush, and maybe gets away? This is way different than any other shotgun hunting because I almost always prefer a semi-auto, unless the subject is predators.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jrbhunter, August 27, 2009 06:45 PM

Ignored post by Jrbhunter posted August 27, 2009 05:29 PM Show Post

Jrbhunter
Charter Member #1

Posted August 27, 2009 05:36 PM Hide Post

E) Rifles

Steve Craig-
E. Rifles as well, are simply a hunters preferred choice. Many arguments have been started over rifle/caliber choice, over the years, and it still seems to rage on. I can only tell you what my own personal choices have been over these many years of calling.
Since this is a Night calling article, I use two different rifles. One is a bolt action in 243 that I have used for over 40 years. It has a 2x7 Redfield Scope with a mercury switch scope light mounted on top. It will reach out and touch just about any critter I need to take. I used this weapon a lot when doing predator control when I didnt care about the saving the pelt. An 85gr. BTHP usually did the deed.

For a Fur rifle, I prefer a bolt action 222 shooting 40gr V-Max. I also have and like a 22 Hornet for short range areas.
Today, My go to fur saving rifle is a Rem. Mod 7 in 221 Fireball shooting a 42gr HP. This caliber will handle Coyotes to 200 yards, and grey fox at 15 yards without fur damage.
The main thing is to know you calibers limitations and stay within them. We owe it to our quarry.

E) Rifles

Danny Batastini-
Most of my shots are within 100 yards. My choice is a bolt action rifle using small caliber. I personally like the 22-250 and 220 Swift because they are better all around calibers for predator hunting. The 223, like it or not, is a medium range caliber, same as a 222 and 222 Mag. The 22-250 and 220 Swift are longer range calibers, meaning they are more versatile and you won't get as many "runners" as with a medium range caliber (assuming you are using the right bullets).

E) Rifles

Leonard Bosinski-
I have used many different cartridges on predators, from 17 to 300 Magnum. I think a good starting rifle is a 22-250. You will never regret the purchase.

A large part of selecting a suitable rifle is the application. If you are strictly a fur hunter and are patient, a seventeen or nineteen caliber is a good choice.

For general day stands, I really like a 243 or a 6mm. There is a whole range of good bullets available, from 56 to 105 grains, and I have used them all. You cannot go wrong with 75/87 grain bullets and the others are there, if you perceive a need. Unless you really know your conditions and your rifle, I would stay away from light for caliber bullets.

Hunting at night, I mostly use a 22-250 Ackley, a 220 Swift or a 25-'06 Ackley. The quarter bore comes in handy for the wide open spaces where the coyotes may not approach too close. In other words, I think you need a bit more gun when hunting the night shift.

I think it is very important that a predator hunter should be a handloader. There are a lot of useful details that stick in your head when you assemble your own ammunition. All successful predator hunters that I know are very familiar with drop tables and the subsequent remaining foot pounds of energy to get the job done; calm days or with a good breeze. It just makes you a smarter hunter.

In twenty-two caliber, I like the advantages of heavier bullets. In fact, the pursuit of speed by shooting 50 grain and lighter bullets is misguided, in my opinion. Almost all popular light bullets are made primarily for prairie dogs and squirrels and as you will find out sooner or later, a coyote can carry off more lead than a junk wagon, especially if you fail to center punch him. Light bullets shed velocity rapidly, so it becomes increasingly important that you estimate the range as close as possible. This is pretty good advice from somebody that has tried all of it, at one time or another.

I don't like to see predator hunters using AR type gear. It's a personal thing, but I favor a good, accurate bolt gun, any day. Semi-autos are noisy loading them and just as aggravating unloading them, after a stand. But hey, if you like 'em, have at it. I will just roll my eyes when I see you drop cartridges in the mud, or retrieving your brass from under the cactus or between the rocks.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters