The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » My neck of the woods..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My neck of the woods..
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
....right down from a friends house.

https://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/story/news/2019/04/21/100-pound-mountain-lion-found-roaming-streets-tulare/3534173002/

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This are more and more frequent since a more than 30 year moratorium. We already had the highest population in the entire US. now, some have estimated that it's doubled. But people say, that can't be true, I've never seen one? Well, no shit, Batman!

The article said the cat was tranquilized and replaced into a wilderness area.

Well, I know a couple of animal control people with contracts with CA fish and game, and also club members I know very well. They say that these problem animals, dangerous bears and lions are never "returned to the wild" they are quietly euthanized. Big secret because the general population can't accept reality. They invariably interfere with their half baked theories and they know so much more than professional wildlife management people. Why kill a cuddly "people" in a fur suit? Aren't they endangered? I never see any?

People are too emotional to think straight. I won't list the legit reasons for the department policy, but they are good ones.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: you tried calling him, right?

[ April 21, 2019, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2019 12:55 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
First one I ever saw was while mowing my grandpa's lawn. Mid summer afternoon. Walking down the street on 13th Ave in Salt Lake like he owned the neighborhood. About '83 or so.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2019 02:16 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy walked down the street to see what all the hubub was about and said there was a guy standing on top of a car looking up into a tree. Dudes tranqued the cat and he plopped down after a few.

This town is FAR from even the foothills, and its a bustling town, not some lazy little hamlet...and where he was are schools, houses, apartments, stores, traffic...he had to have been making his way thru a busy town for quite some time. Just crazy.
Mark

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2019 02:26 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I did do some calling yesterday..just not for lions lol. Drove out to the oil fields west of Bako and looked at a piece of BLM land I used to call. Its a bit sketchy where its at, but I said fuk it and made a couple stands. I called up 3 antelope...which suprised the shit outta me. I know they are out here, just didnt know they were in that particular area. No coyotes unfortunatly.

There was a locked gate blocking access, so I had to walk quite a ways...go figure.

I have to say, I love my ONX maps. Great tool. Ive had it for a few years now and its well worth it.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2019 02:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Upland is also a residential community, and yes, it butts up against the San Gabriel Mountains. but the main thing is, there is a long canyon on both sides and they are both active rock quarries. But that's the "freeway access" for all types of wildlife to suddenly be seen in town, from deer and coyotes to lions and raccoons and opossums and skunks. I've had skunks in my garage and coyotes in my back yard and I'm almost in the center of the city. Coyotes for sure are the most bold. They go on cat patrol after dark and sometimes it's broad daylight when they decide to leave. Bears, right here? I don't remember, but lions, for sure. There was one napping under the loading dock at JC Penny's one time and that's over three miles into town and the only thing that stopped him was the I-10. Broad daylight.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2019 04:37 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Purdy sure your control efforts need to start in Sacramento !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2019 05:37 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul nails it !!!!! [Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2019 06:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Bunny huggers have infiltrated Fish and Game, they now seem to set policy and the Liberal legislators happily go along with restrictions and protections. This is old news, actually.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2019 10:31 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Prairie Goats west of the "sierras" in Kalifornia ? I had no clue.

Saw a bunch of 'em while I was working a couple three days in Burns Ore last week.

Something about 'em that's cool to see..

[ April 22, 2019, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2019 11:43 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, there are antelope tule elk, buffalo.. stuff like that out here in the middle of nowhere.
Mark

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2019 01:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....and, Boy, ain't it! I've been all over this state but have never come close to Porterville.

Hey I could ask 50 people and doubt any of them could tell me how to get to Porterville. I think US 99 is involved, more or less? But, I'm sure it's a charming All American town. [Smile]

I'm just kidding, LH!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2019 03:59 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Dr. George Fishbeck the greatest weatherman to ever live from Porterville.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2019 05:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
EXACTLY!

I was going to say that, but I thought, nobody besides Paul will know who I'm talking about. Dr George was an actual Meteorologist, not an actor. He always talked about his charities in some place I'd never heard of, Porterville, something?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2019 06:02 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss Dr. George! !

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2019 08:04 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
We are an official sanctuary city you know..so we are special.
Mark

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters