The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Please help save Arizona Coyote Hunting Contests (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Please help save Arizona Coyote Hunting Contests
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2019 06:46 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in "the day", before AR15's were so readily available and affordable, I carried an evil Mini-14 as a throw gun. Dirt poor and other than the M-1 Garand, it was the only semi-auto rifle available to me. An old air force vet I used to run hounds with saw my Mini once when I had a collapsible stock on it and he had a fit over how I didn't need a gun like that. A short time later, I had it back in the factory stock and he told me he was glad I'd finally gotten rid of that machine gun. Just shook my head.

The one I use now is the second one I've owned. The first was a Bushmaster Carbon 15 that I picked up for 500 under what a mil-spec AR cost at the time and there were so many flaws in the design that I ended up returning it to Bushmaster after what amounted to a real shit show. With my money back in hand, I decided to shop for an AR the same way I buy computers now. Determine what I need it to do, try to guess what I might want it to do down the road, and go shopping. By sheer luck, I found one that fit my needs being sold privately by a guy who built it himself for another guy and the deal had fallen through. Then only changes I've made was to add a larger pull lever on the charging handle (better with gloves), put in a two-stage trigger, a finger-friendly handguard around the mag well, and replace the carbine-length plain Jane knurled handguard with a quad rail. Although I have the quad rail set up to accept a bipod, I replaced that this past season with an angled forearm grip to make the rifle more ergonomic. IMO, this is just a .223/5.56 rifle, nothing more. The AR platform is built to be rugged and functional. I don't have to concern myself with bumping it and damaging the stock. The adjustable stock allows me to change the length of the stock and thus, the eye relief for when I'm wearing heavy winter gear versus a tee shirt in summer.

I don't have the means to own an arsenal like some of you and I typically stay with one rifle all the time. When I first got this rifle, it was to be a short-range rifle and a pack gun when I didn't want to donkey my boat anchor 22-250 around. I quickly learned how accurate and effective it is as a hunting gun and my 250 rarely leaves the gun locker. In my own situation, the AR is simply the best tool for the job, hands down. How it looks to others? I really don't give a good gawddamn. I try not to be scared of inanimate objects.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2019 06:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, we are all free to use whatever we want. But that H&K is a real clunker, I faintly remember it was around for about five minutes back in the day.

I think the thrust of your post is that AR parts are very available, if I understand you correctly? But, parts for a Browning are not. So, even though you originally thought AR's were StarWars Guns, your choice now is AR's because of practical reasons.

As I said at the top, that's great, and you can exercise your freedom of choice. With my blessing, if it matters.

It's still an ugly piece of shit, and offends my senses, so I am free to dislike that cocksucker. In that sense, just about every Liberal and Democrat and other kneejerk crybaby agrees with me! As I said, we would be better off had it not been born, but here we are, stuck with America's Rifle come what may.

For pure spite, I am opposed to Liberal demands, they don't know a damned thing about guns anyway so why would I pay any attention to what they think? The only reason I can think of is that there are so many of these ignorant people and they don't need facts, any stupid emotional thought will do and they are scared to death of the friggin' "black gun".

Logic doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever on these folks? I won't give in as a matter of principle and they don't need logic or reason so where are we? As soon as they have 50% plus one, they will impose their will on the rest of us. I wish I could be more enthusiastic about our eventual victory.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2019 06:54 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
On the original subject, banning contest hunting, Kansas faced a few challenges some time back. Part of why the St. Francis ended, because outside groups were coming here and trying to file civil cases to stop coyote calling contests under state gaming laws because, as they tried to point out, they are games of chance. The hunt they filed on quickly rolled over and canceled. The guy I helped in running the Kansas Predator Challenge and I were sincerely upset that they'd caved because we could have helped provide as many statements as would be needed to establish that rather than a game of chance, winning a coyote calling contest requires great skill and knowledge and that each person entered does not, in fact, have the same odds of winning. The guys who have a proven strategy and do immense amounts of advance planning are the who win, and not by luck, but by hard work. We wrote letters to legislators to that end and there are hunts every weekend in Kansas now during the winter. Referring back to prior posts, this is why Kansas prefers NOT allowing ballot referendum. Had the anti-hunters had that option here, all they'd have to have done is buy TV time and billboard space around Wichita and Topeka to shut us down with a majority vote of ignorant, ill-informed voters. Instead, the dumb fucker factor is filtered through the debate process in the legislature where both sides of the issue are given equal time.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2019 03:26 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read your post, LB. I dread the day that the libs actually get any traction on regulating AR's for those already owned. You live where you live and you aren't privvy to 99% of conversations that are being held in flyover country. If, and that's a BIG if, they ever tried to take AR's away from folks, the carnage would be immense. I honestly do sense that guns is the tipping point for people in places like Kansas. The vast majority of Sheriff's - the highest elected official in any county in most states, are already on record in saying that they will not enforce any such law, federal or not. Enacting a law, and enforcing a law are two very different things. Some like to say that they'll just send the military to do the seizures. And "some" don't understand the mindset of those folks either. I have hear from, and confirmed with quite a number of active duty military in at least two branches who have told me that there are off-the-record conversations being held regularly - especially during the Obama years - as to what would happen if the federal government tried to light that turd off and I was told multiple times that there are unwritten action plans that involve securing military assets to ensure that they will not, under no circumstances, be used in such an action.

Personally, I think the entire anti-gun hullabaloo is blown out of proportion by the media in an attempt to keep us all stirred up. What would libs have to run on if guns were suddenly all seized, as if that's even logistically possible? They want us owning guns as much as the gun nuts do because guns are a major money maker for them. Too many lib politicians depend upon the gun fear to ensure their future living and relevance to want them gone forever. The best thing we could do as Americans is stop focusing on Washington, and redirect our treasure and energy on a manipulative national media.

--------------------

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2019 02:17 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying you cannot get parts for sporting semis. I'm saying you won't be able to get them locally. The AR15 is a milspec rifle so all of the parts are readily available, except the full auto stuff. You can probably find all the parts you would need to repair an old Winchester model 100. It will be just more difficult and take more time.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1929 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2019 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok, I understood what you were saying. All that tells me is to have a back up. Which reminds me of the question my dear wife never failed to ask; "why do you need another gun?" Answer #27: something to shoot while my Model 100 is in the shop.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters