The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » High blood pressure (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: High blood pressure
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 04:41 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Doc has been pushing to go on a couple of new meds.
I won't take staten's at all.
He talked me into high blood pressure med. Due to my type II diabeties. I didn't watch myself this winter and let my blood sugar go up so now playing catch up with a lot of excerise and a much reduced diet.
I had been on it for over a week and then the other night about 10 minutes after taking the pill very low dose things went weird.
I got very weak feeling like I had sat in a hot tub way to long. Couldn't lay down and sleep sat up past midnight. Think I got about 4 hours of sleep that night. Thursday I wasn't worth much. Went down to the clinic and got my BP checked it was high. It took until yesterday to finally come out of it. Doctors office finally called me yesterday and told me not to take any more. My body isn't going to with stand it. I already knew that.
I'll be buying a BP monitor when I get down and trying some natural herbs for this.
Anyone else ever have this problem?

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 05:32 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
High blood pressure is something that's easy to ignore. The heart attack that follows, less so.
If you medicine's not working, change meds. If your Dr. isn't getting it done, change Drs.
High blood pressure can hurt you in a LOT of different ways. No sense in working all of your life and not being able to enjoy your retirement to the fullest.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 06:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
High blood pressure is one thing I never had to worry about. About 10 years ago, my doctor decided I had pre hypertension and put me on something. I went from about 135 to 110 and eventually it got so low he took me off of it. Just very recently, I have noticed during office visits, that it was in the neighborhood of 130 or so? Back then, I bought a machine and carefully monitored my BP. Was very routine numbers and I was bored with it, haven't checked my BP in several years. Maybe I should dust it off, can't hurt?

But, that's another thing. My cholesterol has always been around 155 or so. I don't know a damned thing about "good" and "bad" all I know is that's one thing I don't have to worry about. So far. One lady friend, listening to me rattle off some of this stuff just blurted out; You'll make 100! We'll see about that.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: hmm? 139 over 77. up until a couple months ago, it was always around 125 or so, during an office visit. This is the first time in years I did it myself, had to replace the batteries. This is an Omron BP785.

edit: so I just did it again and it's 110/65
really clears it up for me. Not

[ April 13, 2019, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 06:30 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
With all of my medical problems High blood pressure is not one of them every time I am at the cancer clinic they take my bp and say what ? are you twelve ? Hope you find a solution soon be well and prayers from here EW!

[ April 13, 2019, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 07:47 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
What really pisses me off is the other half eats like a horse is still a candy baby. He has everything good.
Me I look at food and have problems.
Good ol' genetics I guess being part swede and fin is going to hurt me.
Just found out what nationality I was last year with 23 and me. I was adopted from birth and have never known who what or why.

It looks like I'll slowly be changing over to the local health clinic up here. My doctor which I really like and has a lot of common sense is going to be bought out more or less in 3-5 years. I trust him just think he got a little to pushy with the meds this time.

That is why I'm changing my life style to enjoy what we have up here and retiring at the end of this season.

Still need someone to come up and help me rebuild my '47 Willys jeep. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted April 13, 2019 08:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a heart to heart talk with my primary care physician two days ago. He cut my painkillers and never bothered to tell me about it and it didn't dawn on me until I ran out and it was the weekend. Long story short, he apologized and reinstated my morphine but cut the Norco. I'm okay with that, guidelines and all that shit, but we need to be aware of these changes, I didn't read the bottle that said quantity/60 instead of 90! Well, he was going on vacation. He's a good guy, I like him and he also knows that I take this shit as needed, not as prescribed; so one day, it's two and another day it's 3. What's so hard to understand? Well, it's because if I did take it as prescribed, apparently, I'd be over the approved dosages, and rules are rules. But, what they don't take into consideration is, I'm not a friggin' drone, I under medicate myself.

And, he told me the reason why I have had so much pain the past couple months is because I have developed what he called a bulged disc between L2 and L3. Therefore the epidermal will be coming up after I attend a class, which is mandatory. Never mind it's 20 miles away. And the objective is (I think) mainly to get me off the pain meds. Fine, but I'm not expecting too much.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 09:52 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
EW being Fin And swede you should be eating seals and fish Don't worry the Vikings were badasses !lol
Hope it works for you Leonard I have been off the oxy for two years however my bourbon consumption has gone up.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 01:24 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to start buying more fish. Make the other half happy. I'm not much of a fish person.

Well I seem to built like a Viking so it must be true. [Big Grin]

LB how much Norc do you want? Think I still have some somewhere. I can't take it. I turn green and a lot of green starts coming up. Hate that stuff.

I only take tramadol it just takes the bite off the pain at times other times it doesn't work well. So I try to grin and bare it or use a lot of
Australian Cream or my tens unit.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2019 05:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No don’t misunderstand. He cut my NORCO but that’s okay with me because a one month supply would last me 3-4 months, and he Knew that. So now I get 25 a month for breakout pain. I’m sure it will be enough because I almost always just take a half a pill. It’s the timed release morphine tablet that I depend on and it works pretty good, most of the time.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

PS you know the CIA monitors this site just because of ko ko and his witness protection program. We don’t trade drugs, never have, never will.

[ April 13, 2019, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 04:07 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got a hunch it's so out of date it probably has gummed up in the bottle and I really don't know if I even have it around any more.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 14, 2019 06:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's code for: "It's in the mail"

But, I'm with you on fish. 90% of the fish tastes and smells like fish and I don't like it. Halibut and Sword are almost worth the price. I like deep fried and panko breaded shrimp.

Many years ago I used to dive and as far as I'm concerned, one of the finest delicacies of the seas is abalone. Hate scallops and calamari. When it comes to the lobster debate versus King Crab, I will take the crab every time. I have never tasted more succulent flesh. They don't give it away, it's $24 a pound at Costco, they sell it in boxes for $200.

Sounds like I do like seafood, but truthfully, it's not something I eat even once a week. I'll tell you this much, trout is very overrated, and Calico bass is better tasting than freshwater largemouth. I once did a big fish-fry and served both and it wasn't even close, they all preferred the Calico. I don't understand why people make a big deal out of salmon? I won't even eat it if it's free.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 05:42 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I went thru maybe a dozen different blood pressure meds before we found one that worked for me without causing me side effects that I refused to put up with. I'm fighting old German genes as far as body weight, and having tore my knees to hell donkeying mail for 21 years hasn't made it any easier to shed the pounds I know should be gone. I'm a svelte 284 pounds right now, which puts me less than ten pounds under the weight of the kid I told you I know who is the center for the Bears. Funny thing though, he seems to carry it better.

My wife's experiences with meds have proven to me that there are two important fun facts about chronic pain management that every patient needs to always bear in mind.

First, pain management,... isn't. They will prescribe what they think should work and if it doesn't, you're just trying to feed an addiction.

And second, there are three main players in any doctor-directed pain management plan. You, your doctor, and your district attorney. Fuck up just once and use too much and you'll quickly be the subject of intense negative attention. Just as a side note, they test your pee and document your blood levels at every appointment. They know EXACTLY how much you should have in your system. Too low and they know you're eating them like skittles. Too high and you have to be buying that shit off the private market. Social Security will even use those records to deny you disability because you're not complying with your doctor, and if you were, your life would be peachy and you would be working 60 hours a week.

I can't recall a single person I know hereabouts who is in pain management who is comfortable in their pain. The big thing now is to combine counseling as part of your plan. I asked my wife if the counselor has been successful in convincing her that her constant pain is "just okay". Not yet.

Was just telling the wife that I don't know if I'll make it 18 more months carrying mail. If I sit for more than 2 minutes, I can't support weight in either knee when I stand. Hardly any cartilage in either knee anymore. Carpal tunnel in both wrists, now causing trigger finger in both middle fingers. Plantar fascitis in both feet. Stenosis up and down my back, degeneration at C7-T1, C4-C5, and if I walk more than a hundred feet, my lower back seizes up to the point where both legs go numb. During the days, I wear supports on both knees. At night, wrist braces and have my friendly fingers splinted to my rings fingers with vet wrap, BiPap mask and hose. Look like a freaking trauma patient 24/7. Can only do X-number of steroid shots every year and have to space them out. Gonna write the sites down on a set of dice and just throw them like shooting craps to see what feels better next.

Well shit, I guess I'm fitting in here better every day.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2019 07:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to have my urine tested every six months. That’s it

Good hunting.
El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 04:45 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
C dog look into synvisc shots. Get off the steroid shots. You like it a lot better. I've had one knee replaced only had a dime size piece of cartilage in it. Last fall I slipped raking pine needles and the ankle went one way and the knee the other way. I'm going in next week for a MRI on the left knee now. Doc thinks torn meniscus. Couldn't hardly hike all winter and coming down slopes was total torture.

LB, I can't stand trout and Idaho seems to think it's the only fish in the world.

I like shrimp, don't mind salmon or scallops. But have a hard time cooking it. Don't mind crab. Leaving the mountains early to go buy some fish and chicken to get ready for next Monday and work. buck
[Razz] I think you'd starve to death right now waiting to catch steelhead right now. A lot of guys up camping in snow just for a chance for one.

I was on one of the lowest dosage BP med and I couldn't take it.
Looking into natural herbs for help. Take red yeast rice for help with cholesterol.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 06:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gone from indifferent to unconcerned about these various asian and herbal remedies. There are warnings about anything the friggin' Chinese are involved with. Sweetening food with toxic stuff, etc. But, everybody is pretty lax on all that "natural" stuff. I know that legit doctors are starting to ask what kind of holistic crap people are supplementing and self medicating with, nowadays. Not saying it's totally worthless, but some of it could be risky on side effects, etc.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 06:29 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Lance pain management my ass they don't care one wit after they write the script. those fuckers would have killed me by now they had me taking 20mg's of oxy every four hours . I went in for a surgery and they failed to take into consideration the oxy I went into withdrawls and my wife brought it to their attention all they could do is slap their foreheads. It actually did little for my pain but after 20ng's of that shit you don't care.

Leonard I'm with you exactly on the fish I do like halibut and since becoming a smoker nut I found ways to like salmon cant eat any of it now but still prepare it for my wife.

EW after years of motorcycle racing I don't think there is an inch of cartilage in my body but today pain that really hurts is in neck and shoulders. A leftover from my surgeries , for pain management I stay as busy as I can and after four have one shot of bourbon each hour until seven then hit the sheets some days are better than others , will never take pain meds again ,ever.

--------------------

Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 07:13 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I was struggling with high blood pressure. it was running 180/98 to 200/114 for a while. Lack of sleep to much caffeine and stress were the culprits. Corrected my diet, back to working out regular and no more rock stars.
Trapping season is a bitch for me. 3 to 4 hrs sleep a day for 4 months is taking its toll. I am going to need to slow down. It gets hard to admit I just cannot run the pace I used to. After a 9 hr work day I cover between 175 to 270 miles a day running traps. The line takes it toll. I recently took on another outfit that's 490k acres and has 660 miles of roads on this one ranch. I had to have my girlfriend go over and run it for me and I just go over and help. I came to the realization its just more than I can do.
Blood pressure issues suck. I don't plan to let it get back in that condition again. I bought a good blood pressure cuff and am now checking it regular.

[ April 15, 2019, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Brent Parker ]

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 09:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Many don't realize how much work trapping is ,beats your ass and pays you little you have to love it to do it ! But everyday is like Christmas looking to see what's under the tree !.....

[ April 15, 2019, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 09:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Brent is exactly right about those energy drinks.
They amp you up and when you finally do hit the sack, there's still enough of it in your system to keep you from getting quality sleep; so ……… the next day, you need another energy drink just to get thru. Vicious cycle.
And to think that I used to eat chocolate covered coffee beans like M&Ms. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I had no idea what he meant by "Rock Stars". Duh!

This morning, after fighting and digging bamboo, I came in, (whooped) and checked my blood pressure. 129/66. I guess I can live with that.

Oh, and I have to say. I don't feel drugged in any sense, with the morphine, I guess I'm getting exactly what I need to function. But, I am extremely careful with it and for sure don't take a Norco unless I'm really hurting, which seems to be real infrequent, maybe once a week? I'd be fucked without morphine, I know it.

Spinal surgery has a bad reputation in my head. I hear every once in a while some guy is cured but I also KNOW people that have had ghastly experiences with multiple surgeries and they are still relying on a bulb they need to squeeze every so many hours. I'll give the epidermal a go, just to say I did it, but seriously, I have no problem at all with this timed release morphine sulfate. I just remember what it was like without it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2019 06:11 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I know all to well what it takes to run a trapline. Done it for 37 years with the other half. In our younger days it was 12-14 hour days 7 days a week and 300 miles a day. Skinning 20-30 coyotes a day.

Know all too well what it takes to operate a long line.
I finally had to give it up. Back wouldn't take it all the dirt roads and working that long. tendonitis in the elbows from skinning. Now arthritis in the left thumb can't pull hides.

Picked up rocks Sunday for 2 hours. paid for it yesterday very sore. Today back is still whipped but getting better. Not big rocks just the ones that eat riding lawn mower blades. Cut the so called pasture to keep the weeds down.

We build 2 raised beds one long one and one short one. I'm so glad we got a nice little tractor with a front bucket and a backhoe. Sure saves a lot back time. I've moved tons of dirt and rocks at the other place when a lot younger would have died and gone to heaven to have a tractor like we have now. Guess that's why when we get older we get wiser. Good ol' shovel and wheelbarrow wore the wheelbarrow out and it wasn't even a big one.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2019 04:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
EarthWalker;
Did you folks ever, by chance, run a longline into S.E. Ore. ?????
'bout 15 years ago ????
French Glenn toward Hart Mt. ???

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2019 04:37 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
NO, east of there McDermit to J.V. and some into NV.
Now it's all been burnt and it's a sea of grass with very little sagebrush. A lot of state line jumpers coming calling without buying license and so forth. Where it never was known and crowded it's being over run with callers, trappers and the Subaru crowds now.

--------------------

Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2019 05:32 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see a few trappers on here. We are a dying breed and way to few of us left. I'm not even sure it will last thru my lifetime. Its a shame really. I love predator calling and denning with a good dog but my fist true love is trapping.
I have always said there is nothing prettier than a coyote with an ankle bracelet, and its just their color!

Yes the skinning gets old, I still peel them hot on the line off of a skinning rig that I made that attaches to the hitch. Run a couple of simple sets.

I've always felt being more rounded helped with coyotes. Never had an issue with which method put them in the back of the truck as long as they went in the truck.

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2019 11:59 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone over complicates this skinning thing and making big long poles have to have winches and so forth.
Put a front receiver hitch on and have your pole so it goes up and pins then goes back in the big upright pole and down the road you go. Always have skinned in the field while they are hot.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters