The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Roots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roots
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2019 05:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave's pictures in that other post reminded me of some pictures I took the other day. I'd gone to the local Protestant cemetery (Catholics have their own) to see if a grave stone had been placed at the grave of a wonderful young lady who was one of my daughter's few friends to stick around once her problems began, and who was tragically killed last March 13 in a fiery car accident. I don't know why, but I can get lost in a cemetery looking at the different stones, recognizing surnames, and the like. Took my wife - she's adopted - to the cemetery where my family has been buried for a while and it surprised me to see her react with seeing the graves of people with her "new" last name going back as far as the early 1800's.

Anyway, I was about three-fourths of the way through when I came across these graves.

-

-

Here's why these two stones are significant. David and Ida were the parents of Dwight David "Ike" Eisenhower, former president, 5-star general, and Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Forces in Europe.

-

This is the "family plot" where Ike's parents are buried. Nothing fancy. Totally unassuming and humble. Nothing like what you expect to see for the resting places of two people who produced a son who would become one of the most powerful men in the world not once, but twice. As I stood there at that wrought-iron fence looking down at those stones, I realized that in that very same place once stood President and General Eisenhower, just a man, grieving the loss of his beloved parents - incredible people - and as vulnerable as any of us would have been and have been in that same circumstance. And that's what I have always admired about Eisenhower. A simple man in historic times doing an extraordinary job when called upon, and his roots look very much like my own.

Makes you think.

[ March 20, 2019, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 03:05 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up he was a God in our house I remember two pictures that hung on the wall in our house Jesus of Nazareth and Dwight David Eisenhower ! Quite the memorial yard Lance .

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters