The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Avalanche Alley

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Avalanche Alley
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2019 03:35 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
valanche buries stretch of Highway 21 under 40 feet of snow
by CBS 2 News Staff

An avalanche has buried a section of Highway 21 under 40 feet of snow near the Grandjean area. It's about a quarter of a mile long. (Courtesy ITD)

S Chute 2019.jpg98.5 S Chute.jpgZumwalt.jpg98.69 Chute.jpg
VIEW PHOTO GALLERY
5 photos
AA
LOWMAN, Idaho (CBS 2) —
You're not getting to Stanley via Highway 21 anytime soon.
An avalanche has buried a section of Highway 21 under 40 feet of snow near the Grandjean area. It's about a quarter of a mile long.
State road crews say the highway will be closed until further notice. Slides in this area are not uncommon -- and it has the nickname of "Avalanche Alley."

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2019 07:18 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/massive-avalanche-blocking-idaho-21-between-lowman-and-stanley/277-44a84612-b512-4553-a7d7-cc6cceae7616
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2019 11:07 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
What a complete mess I can only imagine, thank goodness the road was closed and nobody is under that !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2019 12:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing I checked in here! I was damned near out the door, headed to Stanley via 21! Thanks for the heads up!

Question: Let's say I am under 20 feet of avalanche, between lowman and stanley; is that stuff hermetically sealed and I will suffocate before freezing to death? What else, maybe the roof collapses and crushes me? Fuck that, I'm staying clear of that Intermountain region for the rest of the winter!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2019 02:50 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as the avalanche center put up cautions about avalanches they throw the arms down on avalanche alley one on top of Banner summit and one at he bottom by Grandjean turn off.

They did put in a couple of survival cabins in the alley.

LB, don't think you'd make it. They move very slow in getting it out of the way. You'd probably be upside down in Canyon Creek along side the road and no one would find you until June.

It just save us about a 5-6 hours drive. Coming out by the weekend and taking the long way down. I just hate having to drive through Boise to get to the other place. Plus we have to turn heat on then crawl underneath to turn water on and so forth. It's just a very long day by the time we get it all done.

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2019 12:14 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
not to be out done on the avalanches, I-70 through the mountains of Colo. has been closed on and off 4 times just this week, due to avalanches. Only one of the 4 was man made, and instead of having the highway closed for 4 hours like they estimated, it was closed all day to get all the snow off the highway.
Of the other 3 natural avalanches, 2 of them buried vehicles although no one was injured.

Hard to complain about all the snow, but I'll bet there's a few people in the mtns. of Colo. that are about sick and tired of the snow. State wide we are sitting at about 130% of avg.
Won't go thirsty in Colo. this year, and lake Powell might actually see levels rise this spring and summer, for a change.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2019 06:11 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a ITD video on Avalanche Alley. They've been digging since March 1 and have cleared 5 miles so far. Sounds like maybe the whole 11 mile stretch might be solid snow from avalanches. May not be open until April now.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2019 12:34 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Post ta snow Wed. Thur. here. com on spring !!!!!!

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2019 05:40 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Avalanche alley is now open.
Back up country for a week.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2019 08:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
We have had days in the 60's and nights in the 40's
may get a little rain next week but I think spring is here ! Hooray !

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2019 09:22 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually uncovered the garden plot yesterday, tilled it to break it up then tilled in a layer of leaves and compost. Saw a dandelion. Temps are seasonal in the fifties, lows near freezing. Going to grow more tobacco this year, except I will be starting it this time indoors. Last year's tobacco is cured and stored safely away. Gathering materials to build a curing cabinet so I can cure all that I have and smoke some to see if I die.

Anyone here grown tobacco before?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2019 04:16 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in Calif. (oh shudder to think) there was a wild tobacco that was quite common deadly poisonous ! Nicotiana Glauca ! If I remember correctly .

Edited becuz I cant spell (if)

!

[ March 20, 2019, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2019 08:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool, Lance! Growing your own tobacco. I heard "Hemp" grows wild, in Kansas? Wasn't Dorothy from Kansas?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters