The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » My gun buying adventure (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My gun buying adventure
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 02:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, today was a breeze, compared to every other time I have been in Turner's. Not only, but I really like this piece! It's called 1911 A1 Target. Trigger is adjustable! It has that stupid lock but I can ignore it. All in all, I love it, haven't fired it. I'll get around to it. NBD

Good hunting. El Bee

Guess who finished up my documents? Yup, Big Mouth Fat Boy.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 02:54 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
My kid just picked up a Daniel Defense machine gun from Turners...he hates the place, aint going back.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another HATE! Man, I don't know what it is, but I'm the same way, Turner's drives me nuts!

But, okay. VICTOR, VICTOR VICTOR! I have questions. You have very similar gun, right? Did you get a manual with it? This thing they call the safety stop on hammer? They say a flat, shelf-like surface. Is this what I might call "half cock" with a confusing name?

But, main thing is the Integral Locking System. I'd like to know what the hell is so important about removing the mainspring housing with "ILS"? They provide a little piece of bent wire to stick in the slot and placing the mainspring housing in a vice. Why? I can't think of a reason why I would want to deactivate the mainspring. Is this for some type of shooting activity that is beyond the scope of my endeavors?

I'm not understanding this feature? What do you think? They describe it as being under extreme pressure. I've never been tempted to deactivate the grip safety, and I have owned a couple 45's, one plain vanilla government issue and the other my Combat Commander.

Again, what do you think?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2019 07:56 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Most 1911 platforms all come with flat mainspring housings now, that did not used to be the case, they mostly came with arched housings. Most action pistol shooters removed the arched and replaced with a flat one. Guessing about the only reason a guy might want to remove the housings now, would be to fit in one that had an integral enlarged magazine well?
Your pistol most likely has a beveled magazine well, but one usual modification for some shooters is to add the larger magazine well to facilitate a bit quicker reload.
Every one I have ever removed a mainspring housing one had a dimpled pin located at butt end you just punch out and remove housing, it is of course under spring tension, but Ive never used a vise to hold it? Don't know what that is all about?

[ March 14, 2019, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think that feature is over my head and I will never screw with it although they provide a little bent pin to insert in the hole, yeah, I don't want to lose that beauty, might come in handy some day.

The trigger is very nice! I doubt I will ever need to screw with it, either? All in all, this gun is more sophisticated than me. Very nice and It looks every bit comparable to a Kimber or a few of the others that might be considered a niche in the premium market. Hate to say it, but it's finer than my Colt. I bought this Combat Commander in about 1970-71 or so. I am pretty sure I paid $114, in January of that year and was pissed that the price had jumped from $107 before the first of the year. I hate to mention what inflation has done to the firearm market in the last 49 years, but think X 10.

I got to looking around and can't find anything but FMJ on the shelf? Found one box of Remington Golden Saber HPJ. I must have an ammo can around here somewhere with better bullets but for now, these will do, they are 185 gr. I used to handload when I had enough empties to justify, which I thought 700-1000 was adequate or worthwhile. I used to buy the 200 gr. Sierra (truncated), forget what it was called but it seemed to work well enough. Anyway, I have to see if I have enough empties to justify but in the manual that came with this gun it says "reloads" will void the warranty. That's what they think of handloaders, I guess? No caution, peddle to the metal.

But, another thing, this gun has so many features that are different from any 1911 Government Model I ever messed with. It just "looks" like a 45, but take down and everything else is very different. Yet, it does feel good compared to the two most recent purchases like the Shield and the XD striker fired polymer etc.

I'm in no particular hurry to get to the range, but the creek is probably down enough to get across right now. Fat chance they will ever build a bridge, considering that mid summer there's no water, at all. I'll get around to it.

Oh, another thing. This gun came with the nicest carrying case I have ever seen. It's not hermetically sealed, no gasket, but it's rugged and would survive a hell of a drop.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a thought. And, this is no bullshit. When I went back to Germany in 1961, from LAX, a 30 day leave, I had my 45 stuck in my pants, typical Mexican carry. I shit you not! Try that little stunt today and see how far you get.

But, you could look it up. The previous year, a father and son, (I think?) tried to hijack a plane in El Paso and the FBI was running along side the takeoff with Thompson machine guns shooting out the tires. Again, I bet you could look it up. Wasn't long after that that I was leaving El Paso International, ultimate destination, Cuba, armed right there in the cabin. Hard to believe, but that's what happened and at the time, I didn't know we had the whole friggin' "Guatemalan" Air force stationed at Hurlbert Field, all WWII vintage B25's, P47's and others. I was in them, definitely some cool shit! Considering what was going on then, what the CIA might be doing now a days, is interesting to think about.

And, don't ask. I'm already looking at jail I mean Leavenworth, but they'll never take me alive! ha ha Maybe Lance could visit with a cake baked with files in it? None of this could be true. Hmm? I should google the Guatemalan Airforce, it probably never existed?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 09:20 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Guatemalan Air Force Hmmmmm some strange shit there ! I thought their Air Force consisted of two parakeets !
My oldest brother was an Air force air traffic controller he told me he never controlled pilots flying in an out of Cambodia every day during the Viet Nam war because (we weren't there !) LOL

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 12:23 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
The adjustment you find on your trigger Leonard only affects over travel, has nothing to do with reducing weight of pull, most likely is adjusted correct as it comes from factory I would think? Ive never pissed with mine, as it seems not to have much or any over travel after the break.
I agree with you, the Springfield Armory pistol is a much better product than the Colts Ive owned. Im not partial to Kimber, never liked their smooth melted over all look, way over rated to my mind, to each their own?
I have the TRP model, a bit pricier than your model, but comes with just a few more extras that I would add anyway, plus I got mine at one of my Walmart parking lot deals, so I payed much less than off the shelf price, which runs a tad over $1300.
Ive shot my reloads in mine and it was very accurate, a 200 grain lead SWC, but for social purposes, it has a magazine of 230 grain hardball stuffed in it. Im sure your going to be happy with function and accuracy.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 05:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess that's why there is no mention of weight of pull in the so called owner's manual? And, did you say that your's is bigger than mine?

I checked the weight of pull and it's just under 5 pounds, call it 4.75. That seems reasonable, not that I could do anything about it. if you are right about the over travel adjustment, as far as that goes, I'm not inclined to change it since it's as close to zero as I can determine? The ergonomics are quite acceptable, the gun fits.

They have an online registration which I took advantage of because they have a few products available at discount, like pouches, holsters and magazines. There is a double stack 10 round mag available but I'm not sure if it is compatible? I'll have to inquire about that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 07:31 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
No; our two pistols are the same in frame size and general appearance. Mine has several up grade features your model doesn't have I believe. Mine has the extended magazine well, front strap checkering, match grade barrel, which I think yours has too?, national match slide and frame, front cocking serrations on slide, and hand fitted parts.
Yours comes with adjustable sights, mine is three dot tritium fixed combat type sights.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2019 10:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I wish I had the checkering on the front trigger guard as I’m kind of used to it but, it’s not that big a deal. I guess? But the sights are really nice. I bet it shoots lights out!

The more I look at it, the more I appreciate the workmanship. You can’t really absorb and evaluate something like this with some goon breathing down your neck, but playing with it the past couple days, I had no idea that Springfield Armory was turning out this kind of quality.

Good hunting. El Bee 🐝

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2019 03:32 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved my Springfield 1911 it was the ultra sub compact with a lot of custom work great gun wish I still had it ! Still too heavy for EDC.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2019 05:10 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I'd come visit you, LB. Leavenworth is just a hop, skip and half a jump from Lansing where my pride and joy went for vacation last year. Only 2.5 hours away. What's your favorite kinda cake? Glad to see you got your new toy and are enjoying it so much.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2019 09:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Pineapple Upside/down! Yum!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2019 01:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll get on that. But, you might wanna wait a bit. All those flood waters from Nebraska are just getting to that area. News said they're sandbagging in Leavenworth right now.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2019 01:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can avoid Leavenworth if you can? In fact, I can avoid the whole Kansas for a while longer, with luck. That's Flyover Country, ain't it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2019 04:25 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Fly over country the back bone of America you can guess where the neck and ankles are

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2019 08:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Liberals should be whipped for fucking up California. I know I didn't do it? This dink, Gavin Newsome just canceled the death penalty. Who the hell does he think he is? Next thing you know, Scott Peterson will get off with time served.

I gotta get out of here!
Good hunting. El Bee

edit: now, they have elections set up with a choice between TWO DEMOCRATS!

[ March 20, 2019, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2019 11:15 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Are they banning fur sales as well?My wife says she read that.
Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2019 02:06 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, its on the table. they are excluding cowhide leather etc.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 03:07 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard get out , the Air Force will start bombing soon !

--------------------

DiYi
Wears wife's pink panties under his camo for good luck. (yeah, right!)
Member # 3785

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 03:37 AM      Profile for DiYi           Edit/Delete Post 
Well this USGS report crushed my hopes for California after the 'big one'.

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/will-california-eventually-fall-ocean?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

LB,of course this 'hope' was only for after you moved.:-)

Posts: 623 | From: SoDak | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 07:39 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, the Integral Locking System (ILS) was another attempt to appease the bureaucrats in Washington. Safety they said. Lots of people ditch the ILS because they say it "might" lock up the gun accidentally, it affects trigger pull ever so slightly, makes disassembly harder, etc. I had a TRP with it and never bothered changing it because it was a range gun and I never carried it. BUT if I were to carry an ILS equipped 1911 I would definitely get rid of that system. One less thing to potentially go wrong.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 08:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. So, I got one. Can I disable it? Is it against some law to disable it? Not that I give a fuck. Where can I find instructions on how to remove this "safety feature"?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Semp
GOLD STAR MEMBER
Member # 3074

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2019 08:32 AM      Profile for Semp           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Brownells.com and search for 1911 main spring housing. You'll need a new spring and plunger also. Lots of options to choose from. Go to youtube and there are lots of videos on how to change the housing. Brownells has videos too. Its pretty easy and only takes a few minutes.

As far as being legal, it is in Kentucky but I have no experience with your state.

--------------------
Always remember: That court appointed psychiatrist is not your friend.

Posts: 406 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters