The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hello The Camp (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hello The Camp
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2019 01:19 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's been a while since I posted anything. I do drop by occasionally and see what everyone is up to, but haven't posted much. Part of it is that I don't hunt nearly as much as I used to, but I do still whack a few coyotes, and I find far more joy in watching my kids hunt than me filling my tags. These days fishing fills most of my outdoor needs rather than big game hunting. So with that said here are a few pics.

The fishing God's have been good to me this year. Here is a nice brownie out of the Missouri River.
 -

Next up my oldest daughter came home from college and really wanted to hunt deer so I made time, to take time, to spend with her. She made a very good 225 yard shot and got her buck for 2018. I love one shot kills. Not only that she shot it as quick and efficiently as anyone I've ever hunted. No messing around. Even though we hiked about 5 miles round trip to get her buck, the recovery was easy. We were able to hike back to the rig and drive in a long round about way to the buck which. Our rig was parked at the top of some rough river breaks on the far end of the property. She killed the buck at the opposite end of the property at the bottom of the breaks. If you've ever hunted in river break country you can appreciate how physically demanding it can be. I was very grateful we were able to get the 4Runner pretty near to where the buck died.

-

Stay tuned for Part II up next

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2019 01:34 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Part II
My youngest daughter who is normally my main fishing partner told me she wanted to hunt deer last fall. She hasn't hunted since she was 12 when she killed a whitetail buck, which was 6 years ago. However she decided she really wanted a mule deer. So I did my best to find her a buck. I don't think we could have picked a physically tougher day to hunt. It has rained for a couple hours the day before, froze, and then snowed all day and through the night. While the weather was good the day we hunted the conditions were treacherous. Under that snow was about a 1/4" of the slickest ice on the planet. Very little of our hike was on level ground. We fell so many times we quit counting. She killed her buck at a little under 300 yards. The darn thing fell to the bottom of steep brush and burr infested canyon. It took us a full hour to reach it because of how tough going the hiking was.
 -

We had to debone to pack it out. From when we left the 4Runner until we returned was just over 7 miles. A couple things that did make me feel good that my daughter said were these two statements. About 200 yards into the pack out we stopped for a breather and she turns to me and says; "Dad, how in the world did you do this for 40 years?!" I think she learned a little appreciation for how tough hunting can be.
This photo was actually taken about 2 seconds before she said that.
 -

The next thing that made me smile is when we got to where were right above our ride and only had to descend the last 1/4 mile she looks at me with a smile and says: "Dad, I think I'll stick with coyote hunting and fishing." I think I'd have to agree with her, I'm getting too old to hike up and down in steep, icy, snow covered country. I'm just glad neither of us broke anything. I have to give my daughter credit she was a real trooper in very difficult conditions. She also stuck to her guns and passed up 7 smaller bucks before shooting this one.

After all the hunting I needed some R+R and got back to fishing. I managed to catch a couple of the biggest Kokanee salmon I've ever seen in Montana. In hindsight I should have considered getting them mounted as it's not likely I'll ever catch bigger. However I'm in such a habit of turning everything loose that it never entered my mind until later. Anyway hope you guys didn't get too bored. reading all this. There were a lot of other fish caught this last fall, and did manage to shoot a nice 4x4 whitetail buck for my freezer, but maybe I'll post more pics later. This is enough for now.
Big male kokanee
 -

An even bigger female kokanee salmon. She was the partner to the male.
 -

[ January 15, 2019, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2019 02:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Troy! Excellent post! Don't stay away.

Marvelous, bringing your girls into the sport of hunting. You deserve credit for that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2019 03:41 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
way to go Troy. Those daughters of yours will enjoy that meat. Hope they share some with ya.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2019 04:24 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff Troy! Congrats to both your daughters. Nothing better than watching your own get it done.

And you know what, you remember the tough hunts.

Being on tough hunt with a family member or good friend just makes it that much more sweet when you think back on it.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NeilA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2019 06:38 AM      Profile for NeilA   Email NeilA         Edit/Delete Post 
Great to see young ladies enjoying hunting!

I’ve spent a little time in the breaks with excellent conditions, I can’t imagine hiking in there on ice! Glad you made it out!

Posts: 28 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2019 10:14 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Like I said I enjoy watching my kids enjoy hunting more these days than actually filling my own tags. I did have a fun trip last spring with a couple of the FoxPro boys (Al Morris and John Bair) and Matt Piippo from Predator Quest. Any excuse to hunt with those guys and Al's decoy dogs is a good excuse. We did kill a few coyotes, but the best part was the friendships and the laughs. My stomach hurt for a week afterwards because of all the laughing that went on during that hunt. There some really good guys in the predator hunting world and this group is definitely part of those good guys.
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2019 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about most salmon, that's for sure. I know the ones that wiggle up the little stream behind my brothers place don't appear to be fit to eat. So, those kokanee salmon, I don't know, to me, they don't look appetizing, but while everybody raves about salmon on your plate; No thank you! I will stick to a sword or halibut steak, myself But, I get the impression that there is a vast difference between table fare, some salmons are much better eating than others. My mom, when they lived up in Everett, she used to do her salmon in the dishwasher, wrapped in heavy foil. But, what was it? I forget? Maybe it's an acquired taste?

You catch some enviable fish, Buddy!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2019 11:48 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, these salmon were in spawn colors and probably would taste awful. During the rest of the year they are a beautiful silver/chrome color and taste as good as the best trout out there. As salmon go these are a smaller fish than most salmon species. King salmon would each salmon this size for a snack. Average size in Montana is 10"-12" long. However, for inland kokanee these are pretty sizey, at least in Montana they are.

Here is a fish you might be more familiar with. Brook trout are usually pretty small fish as well, but I got lucky and stuck a couple of brutes this fall.

This first brook is just absolutely beautiful and stunning in his fall spawn colors.
 -

This old warrior has been around awhile and looks like something from a prehistoric era. I'm referring to the brook trout, not me. [Big Grin]
 -

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2019 02:58 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Just WOW ! what memories ! I have been on some river systems that have land locked kokanee they were there year after year felt bad for them but they kept on the fight ! In a breeding colors you would never eat one ! lol I have caught some big brookies ya know like 10 to 14 inches LOL

[ January 17, 2019, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2019 10:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an impoundment, some sort of lake not far from Mormon Lake. The first time I went fishing there, I caught the most beautiful Rainbows I had ever seen. Turned out, they were kokanee salmon. By the way, Mormon Lake is hardly more than a swamp, you can't navigate it swim in it, noting but reeds and cattails, shore to shore, yet it has northern pike, they say? In the good old days we used to go there on the 4th of July for the Pow Wow and team roping. That Lodge has burned down at least twice, you would think they would learn? But they had some kick ass bands! Fun times, it were.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2019 06:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't touch that for noting.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

BTW; Awesome fish as always. I hate you. [Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

[ January 17, 2019, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2019 06:19 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
With all the rain we have had Mormon lake probably has enough water to fool those who wish to donate tackle !

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2019 08:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly? But, I wonder how many have ever seen the other side? I never did? Fuck that! There's some kind of bird dog school down on the south side, that's as far as I ever wish to get.

But, it's a nice area, always treated to turkey, wapiti and occasional javelina, if you're coming in early. Big coyotes!

Why hell, how come it's not on my list? I gotta think about that!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: you think you've had rain! Well, the sun's out this morning but it poured all friggin' day yesterday! I seriously thought the pool was going to overflow!

[ January 18, 2019, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2019 05:48 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
From deer, to trout, to a pike pond near Flagstaff Arizona. You guys do keep it interesting albeit all over the map subject wise. [Big Grin]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2019 10:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy, that's something that a lot of the message boards wet their pants about, going off topic. Some jerk will complain that you are torpedoing his thread and then the moderators will step in and throw Paul in message board prison, if not ban him for life. Over here, we go out of our way to deviate from the original subject matter. It's sometimes amazing how the conversation will bounce around with 99 responses. I never understood the board police?

Does it have a lot to do with coyote hunting? Sometimes, there ain't much left that hasn't been said, so....

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2019 08:54 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, as you can see going all over the place topic wise doesn't get me too wound up. In fact sometimes it leads to some real interesting conversations.

In that train of thought. Nothing like shooting a non-traditional varmit rifle. [Wink]
 -

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2019 11:23 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That should knock them down !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2019 12:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish my range had benches like that! The rifle? Not so much. But, I'm not gong shaming!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2019 03:49 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard if they make a rifle I want one no exceptions I hold no prejudice ! I love them one and all !

--------------------

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2019 07:05 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul I'm of the same cut as you when it comes to rifles. The rifle above is out of my price range, but it was fun to shoot a 50 cal if for no other reason than to say..."I shot one!" One of the few rifles I've ever shot that close definitely counts. [Big Grin]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 24, 2019 09:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about this? But, I seem to recall that a few years ago, The people's Republik outlawed anything in 50 caliber? AZ may be next! I'm telling ya, it's creeping, it's smothering and it's crossing the Colorado River any day now!

But, if there was ever an impractical rifle, the 50BMG is it!
Are the dies just short of $300? are bullets over a dollar each? How much is brass? How much are primers? Cleaning rods? Do you need a special press, like my RCBS AmmoMaster? It's worse than getting into 17 caliber for the first time! By reputation, not known for accuracy, bullet selection is about 2, maybe 3?

But, like everything else about guns, not logical, but there is a cachet, kind of give ya a hard on just looking at that miniature ICBM.

Really, slap me down. I'm just jealous, I'd love to own one!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: also, I notice, there is a cartridge sitting on the bench, on end, near the forestock. Also notice that the rifle is so long the bipod won't fit on the table top, and our boy is firing from an awkward position. Better to be prone behind this beast anyway. I notice, it drew a crowd! Also, that's a hell of a nice bench, looks precast?

[ January 24, 2019, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2019 03:07 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard Who cares ? I will never own one ,the seconded amendment Allows me to ! When our government fails to protect us we need to protect ourselves from our government ! Bring on the RPG's
LOLOLOLOLLOL

--------------------

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2019 05:30 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
If my firearms purchases were all totally based on practicality my life would have been a lot less interesting. I just like to shoot and blow stuff up.
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2019 06:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a .50 cal bunch in Wash. (wet side) that came to the gun shows with a banner "Anything Under A 1000 Yards Is Too Close." They had a neat video of cinder blocks painted blaze orange. Big boom, a bit of a delay and poof, the cinder block was gone like a well hit clay bird. Totally cool !!!
They also hunted elk with the things, glassing clear-cuts from pickups parked on landings. When the bull was spotted, out came the sandbags & such...…
Not exactly my 'thing' but then we all have our own demons whispering in our ears.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters