The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » HWY 93

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HWY 93
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2018 08:25 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn ain't nothin' out there. Thought about Walt as I passed thru Ely.

I've been thru western NV, not eastern. Wow lots of nuthin' out there.

It's about 500 miles from Twin Falls Idaho to Vegas. Wow, I'll say again nothing out there. Is it 93 they say is the most lonely HWY in America ? I believe it !!

Lonely valleys everywhere !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2018 08:39 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be US 50 I think Dave. Now that one is a lonely one.We hunt along US 93 all through the State quite a bit....

Good Hunting Chad

[ December 31, 2018, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 04:22 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I don't miss the drive from Ely to Wells. But I love the country.
Nope US50 is called the loneliest highway.
Been on both of them.
Use to make the trip from Boise to Wickenberg AZ and back. Really don't miss the mess that is called Las Vegas. Otherwise the drive isn't bad. The new bridge over the Colorado sure is nice. Hated going down over the dam. I know the truckers sure like it much better.

Make that drive with a truck pulling an old 5th wheel travel trailer that wouldn't go up hill fast I think the average speed that trip was 34mph. That was a awful long trip. Because we came from Bullhead City to Idaho.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 06:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, everybody knows it's US50, and it's well named! If there was a second place, it would be 93. Boy, if that road could talk! Yeah, I've kilt a few along there, now and then.

But, you talk about the sticks? What will always be 8A, but now Nevada has changed the numbering system to help out. But that stretch from Tonopah to I-80 is so remote that they used to hold road races on in and only had to block off about 3 roads. For all I know they still do? But that's some beautiful country. (crosses the Pony Express Trail) As does 95 and 93 come to think of it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 07:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
US50 ain't all that lonely anymore. Pretty rare to run from Delta to Majors Place without seeing quite a few vehicles on the road. Traffic just gets heavier west of Ely. Sign of the times.

We have a house right off 93, about ten miles north of Caliente. I drive 93 a lot - "the scenic route" I call it, my kids call it "the slow way". Getting pretty crowded there too. Can't even run high beams at night anymore, too much oncoming traffic, at just about any hour.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 07:56 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Add on... I consider that stretch of Eastern Nevada to be pretty civilized, developed and crowded, over all. Not to mention it gets absolutely hammered by callers. I mean, you can escape the crowds, easy enough, but all the most fertile areas are pretty over run with folks. There are far more lonely places to go, far more lonely.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 07:59 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
The nicest thing I can say about Vegas is , just below the shiny surface lies absolutely nothing !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 08:35 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Dave’s right about US 93. Gets pounded by Callers. I should have said “we have HUNTED that area quite a bit” not “we HUNT that area quite a bit”. Been a few years since we’ve hunted that stretch. Anymore we get into WAY more remote areas that most guys don’t want to mess with.

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 09:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to break it to you guys! All ways, everywhere, it ain't like it used to be and dammit, I blame Foxpro! The last thing predator hunting needed was all these dipshits running expensive electronics from the cab of their truck.

And speaking of why I quit going to eastern Nevada is because of Utah hunters, (well, mostly, but some from the new northern metropolis, Elko) running down 93 at 3 A.M. with dual spotlights. Maybe it's changed, 'cause I don't know 'cause I ain't been there?

The overall state of predator calling is not getting any better. The best days are behind us. I can tell you this much. At one time, nobody knew what the hell we were doing out there. Now, everybody's a varmit caller. (intentionally misspelled)

It's no damned wonder that Vic doesn't share any tips!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 10:29 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Leonard. Way to many dipshits out there now. One of the biggest problems I see is social media and YouTube. Everybody wants to be the next famous Coyote caller. That has NEVER interested me. I enjoy the challenge of Calling Coyotes. Period!!!! That and anymore I really love to just see new and remote Country. I Don’t need to be an internet hero and draw a lot of attention to the sport. I’m actually quite the opposite. That’s why I rarely post pictures anymore.

Good Hunting Chad

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 10:50 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I traveled on a Tuesday & later on a Wednesday. Didn't see hardly any traffic that Dave speaks of ? Probably more on weekends ?

The mountain ranges were impressive indeed. Dumb question what is the vegetation in the area. Traveling west of Ely there were "odd" trees, kinda like Junipers I see in Idaho & eastern Oregon, but different ? Dunno

Also anybody know anything about Pahrump ? I see it's 60 miles out of Vegas. Is it a shit hole ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 04:07 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately social media started a wave of self obsessed yote wackers LOL or are they song dogs or pasture poodles WTF Shameless self promoters! I don't want to be known for anything Ill just keep my shit to myself! I couldn't post a pic if Bill Gates was sitting next to me <

[ January 01, 2019, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2019 07:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Posting pictures? That's what we have Fred for! And, he has been rather quite lately! If he was coming to the campout, he could hold a seminar on a bunch of hi tech shit that we will forget right away.

"He who shall not be named" could even be a surprise appearance! Haven't seen him since Pichico Peak, eh?

He might even have a dog for me?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS don't get excited, I'm just rattling cages. He ain't coming. Unless Andy shows up. Or, unless Loco shows up? Well, no chance of that, everybody's way too busy. And when LB folds the tent, they say, ah geeze, I was gonna come next year....maybe?

edit: by the way, intentional misspelled word for ko ko to catch.

[ January 02, 2019, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters