The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » It's all over.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's all over.....
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2018 06:22 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
done and did with.

Elk 1. Hunters 0
Other half got into them again this morning -3 very refreshing.
Thought he hit one went to find it and nothing no blood.
We now feel the scope is off again. It's going out the door.
New scope coming along with a another new rifle. selling the
R-15 and maybe something else.

Other half is wore out and knees and hips aren't doing well this evening. Oh well learned a lot about the area and elk.
looks like I'll be buying a quarter of buffalo at the least next fall. Have enough meat to get through.

Cold night and tomorrow there is a wind chill warning for tomorrow anywhere from-10 to -30 tomorrow.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2018 08:18 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in the new country & adventures !!

Windy here as well, not as cold as you guys though. 20's here right now not sure about wind chill.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 04:29 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It's as cold as a well diggers ass in the Klondike right now.
We've hit -12 during the night. At 0552 it's -11. It was -3 at 8:30p last night.

A day of rest finally have the elk monkey off our backs. We let it get to us this season. Which seems to be the normal thing with us.

This unit the F/G is saying the cows are anywhere from 2500 -5,000 over what the area can handle. I know in the last 31 days we've only seen 5 big bulls to 400 or so cow/calf pairs. There seems to be a few younger bulls hanging with the cows. But seems to be out of portion to bull/cow ratio.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 07:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! that sounds like the ratio of mule deer in The People'sRepublik? It's always been about 5 bucks per hundred. And, it's always been forked horn or better, which never made any sense, for the meat hunters, anyways? The Fish and Game has been political, for years, decades actually. And, I'm not qualified to complain about it because I haven't bought a CA license in probably 20 years? But, I've bought enough NON RES AZ licenses to buy a new truck, that's for damned sure! Don't get me started on the outrageous cost just to kill a friggin' coyote! Compared to Nevada, where it's ZERO, last year I paid $160....and nobody cares/sob! How much this year? Don't know but I guess I'll find out in a few days? If it's over $200, I'm going to trash me a Walmart!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 07:51 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Now LB if you were a resident, not a problem !

its a balmy 18 here !
Downright tropical .

[ January 01, 2019, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 08:23 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
EW, ID Fish and Game says 2500-5000 over capacity? Wow, they need to unleash some wolves in there to control the herd. LOL!

One thing I've learned from my 39 years of hunting in this state is the IDFG is all about making money(selling tags)and to hell with any kind of quality game management. They constantly look at the glass as half full.. It didn't used too be that way either...

The elk unit right out my door used to be one of the best in the state, if you got drawn. 50-100 either sex tags and a 24 day October season.

Now, seasons in that unit start Aug 1 and go almost until Thanksgiving. Tags are in the many hundreds now. The IDF&G offers more tags for sale than there are elk living in that unit.

Why, because IDF&G realizes people will still apply and buy tags even if hunting isn't near what it used to be.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2019 01:48 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy all the elephant tags you want in Idaho.
No there is no elephants but you can buy tags.

I don't feel there is an over population of elk.
There is wolves in this unit. Or there is one less now.

A lot of lions other half found a fresh track with the elk yesterday.

The hunting here starts in Aug and goes clear to Feb if you have all the right tags. You can even get a chance to draw a second cow tag.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters