The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Calling coyote uphill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling coyote uphill?
ATexan
Knows what it's all about
Member # 6799

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2018 08:58 AM      Profile for ATexan   Email ATexan         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out Saturday hunting with a guy who is new to calling and hunting with me. We had a very good day with 7 stands producing 6 dead coyotes and one bobcat.
Our last stand was one I taught would be a waste of time.. We had already walked 8 miles, it was lunch time and I was hungry.I figured a quick stand in a very steep canyon, load up and go home.. This canyon is probably 600 ft deep maybe 500 yards across to the other rim. We very carefully made our way down til we were half way from the top and bottom of the canyon. Figured if anything was to come to the call, they would show themselves in the very bottom of the canyon or along the down wind ridge. Well maybe 3 mins into a cottontail distress a coyote appears at the bottom of the canyon upwind maybe 300 yards from us. Now we are at least 200 feet uphill. Corey finds the coyote and gets a scope on it. Beauitful blond yote and it is sitting down with his ears up and tail wrapped around him. We watch him for 5 mins just hanging out.. I made a few more dying quiver calls and he finally starts to move. But not down the sandy bottom of this canyon, no he starts up the hill. Now this hill would make a deer take a second look if it had to climb it up and out. He sidehills the canyon until he is at the same height we are sitting on the hill, then makes a beeline for us.. I have my 22-250 and Corey has his 243.. I told Corey to turn over and get a gun pointed uphill. There was a 10 foot rock ledge directly above us.. Damn I should have brought my shotgun. We sit there as quite as possible and I play some more cottontail blues. We hear the fence rattle and movement above us.. Looking up I see the coyote looking straight down at us.... Wtf? You would have taught we called a mountain lion standing there above us..Corey takes the shot and misses but I can't blame him. That was a hard shot.
So my question is, has anyone ever had this happen to them? I never seen a coyote scale a steep hill to come directly at the call.. [Confused]

Posts: 112 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2018  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2018 09:48 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Calling on the Rez. KJ and I had five come running up out of the bottom of the canyon it was chaos!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2018 01:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first of all, yes anything''s possible. The last situation I had that was just like you describe, only different. In this case, the canyon was steep, and I'm on top but the coyote was also on top but on the other side, and on the other side of a tee canyon facing me, if you get the drift? So, I'm thinking, I'll get set up and nail him, right in the middle, and moved my gear to get'er done. I no more than decided when that damned coyote raced to the bottom and up the other side of the tee facing canyon before I had a chance to get down on the gun....and I was already down on the damned gun! Forgot to mention that my "gunner" as Lance likes to say, was about 100 yards to my right, down IN THE CANYON. Now, how he did it, I don't know because to me, the coyote was out of sight already, at the shot, but he decided to go check it out anyway, you know how that is, "it sounded good". It was a hell of a climb and where he was, I couldn't see him when he picked it up. Lucky fucking shot, is all I can say; and it was well over a 45* uphill, offhand shot.

Where was I? Yes, a coyote will come to a call uphill. But what I really wanted to say is, if it's a cat, good luck. You can call a cat downhill 'til the cows come home but it's very rare to have one come uphill, especially if it's very steep.

Now, sure as hell, some dink is going to respond, "Well one time I had a cat come uphill"....so, I give up! It's not like I know what I'm talking about.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: what rez?

[ December 31, 2018, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters