The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » The Ghost Army

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ghost Army
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2018 04:41 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Watched a good story on PBS last night called the Ghost Army.
Started in WWII using dummy tanks, cannons even recorded
sounds of moving tanks like a whole battalion. Even had voices hollering telling people to move or put a cig out.
Some of the guys that were in this secret unit were still alive and were interviewed. Most of them were artist that could draw and they drew soldiers and civilians and so forth.
Amazing story how they deceived the German army at time to plug up holes before the real battalions could arrive like Patton and so forth.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1102 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2018 06:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The British have always been good at that stuff. Like the body that washed ashore with plans for the invasion, totally bogus. Even in the Falklands war, there was a story about British submarines in the area that prevented an Argentine invasion for fear of the ships being sunk, and there weren't any subs. Apparently, they had a whole army of balloon tanks and planes for Patton's invasion, which was many miles from the actual location. The deception was so good that Hitler held his Panzers in reserve at the location for weeks, when they could have been employed at Normandy. A bunch of sneaky bastards, no doubt!

Good hunting. El Bee,

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31275 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2018 06:49 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a 70 mile gap between Patton and they sent in these guys with the blow up tanks. They said they used dozers to make tracks in the ground so when the nazi's flew over it looked real.
It was a good story if you can find it watch you'll like it.
They did get hit one time and had 2 killed and something like 15 guys wounded. Most of the time they sat around waiting. They also said they were everywhere and traveled more than any division did.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1102 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2018 02:25 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here another incredible true story of heroism, from WW2:
When you've got 4hrs, or so, to spare... WATCH THIS
It's part 1of 3: The Heroes Of Telemark

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2018 07:05 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips EW and Leonard.

I just started reading a WWII book called the; "Coffin Corner" Story is about a B-17 crew that got shot down and had to evade the Germans.

Barely into it, and I'm not going to spoil anything here, but the lead pilot was 21 and on his first mission. The book mentions the astounding price of that time being $260,000 for the B-17. Early on in the war, only 1 out of 10 guys made the 25 mission mark where they could be released from further bombing runs.

Amazing to be that young, flying something like that, and knowing the odds were that steep against you.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2018 06:43 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
My great uncle was in England in the run up to D-Day and told of how the allies were shuttling troops through at night but made certain that there was the same number around in the light of day to keep up the ruse for German spies that they knew were around. He was there for the balloon tanks and trucks and went ashore at Normandy on D-Day+1. Spent the next four months behind enemy lines as a forward observer for the field artillery unit he was assigned to. Only him and his radio man, counting German troops and radioing back that intel plus troop locations and locations of minefields. My brother has pics he took of bombed out houses and one of a German halftrack on its side with burned corpses hanging out of it. He spent most of the war in enemy territory, was in Bastogne as a forward observer, in Berlin during the bombing running up to the troops invading there. Had a list of all the different European cities and countries he snuck through on foot - is like a where's where of where not to be in Europe in the early '40's. How he didn't have a purple heart, I don't know. He was 6'4" tall and had to stand out a bit. Never got a scratch.

I know I've mentioned this book before, but a great read is "D-Day Through German Eyes". Both books 1 and 2 come in the same printed volume. Interviews with German veterans of D-Day. Being 3/4 German, I'd always wondered how "my people" could go along with such atrocities. This book explained it to me - the German civilians were being told that we were trying to invade Europe to rob it of its resources and they honestly believed that they were defending France and Europe from total destruction by American Imperialists.

Interestingly, one guy interviewed said the most frightening thing he recalled from D-Day was the Americans coming ashore and the realization that there were no horses - that America had mechanized their entire military. At that point, he knew Deutschland was beat. He said that they feared American soldiers because our men were bigger, stronger, and more intimidating than any other country's military personnel.

We have the Eisenhower Presidential Library here in Abilene. I deliver their mail every day. Neat stuff from all manner of spooky alphabet agencies. Anyway, I suggested they get that book and the director of the visitor's center and gift shop came out from the back and said they'd just gotten it, he was halfway through it and it was the most interesting book he'd read in years.

I have my great uncle's Bronze Star and flag sitting on my desk in front of me right now. He was awarded the BS for "bravery", "courage in the face of enemy fire" and for "bringing accurate fire upon enemy forces". His dog tags are hanging there, too.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2018 05:51 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Lance I am a German too I could not understand it either now with the complicit media I am beginning to get it !

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2018 08:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Holds hand up, Hey fellas, don't forget, except for the name I'm half German myself. Quarter French and quarter polish. European, basically although they tell me I cold easily pass for Arian.

I have read dozens of history books about the Second World War. Interesting subject.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31275 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters